H15 HID headlight upgrade

Has anyone managed to fit one of these?

I have the kit. I have removed the standard halogen bulb, but I am struggling to get the new cable connector into the wiring socket on the top of the headlight, as I cannot seem to be able to get the plug & socket lined up! I have tried on the nearside and failed, space is even more restricted on the offside headlight.

The job may be easier with the headlight unit removed. Any idea how I remove the headlamp unit?

Its also illegal unless you have fitted headlamp washers

No, it's not.

Subjective wording in the MOT testers hand book. It is never stated they are illegal without headlamp washers or self levelling. It says 'where present they must be working'

They are horrendous for scatter and poorly defined beam pattern when in a reflector housing but in a projector lens they are much better.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

I agree that MOT stations WILL generally pass a car with aftermarket HIDs. I haven't tried it but their test requirements in this area are so wooly that they would have no choice to pass what is an illegal mod. Mostly because they can't test it.

The MOT information which relates to this:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

The important bit is "Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."

The MOT guidelines are not the bible of roadworthyness though. The Department for Transport says that in order to retrofit HID lamps legally you would have to:

- Change the headlight enclosure for one designed for HIDs.

- Fit self levelling to the headlights or suspension.

- Fit headlight washers.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

Without even downloading the information sheet, the website states:

"The Department for Transport takes the view that it’s not legal to use lighting kits to convert standard halogen headlamps to HID xenon headlamps."

Seems pretty conclusive to me...

It's illegal for a much simpler reason - Type Approval. UK vehicle lighting law only permits filament bulbs for external lighting (yes, really, it's that old). This is overruled by European Type Approval (one of many hidden things the UK can potentially lose if we leave) which permits approved LED and arc lights like Xenons. However, as no after market kits are specifically approved, they are all illegal to fit and even sell, if the vehicle is to be used on the road. Why do you think all the big sellers have 'off road use only' on their sites?

The above DFT statement says that because that would make you fit a vehicle type approved solution.

• Like 1

Aint the 25w Xenons legal without washers?

Dont know much of an improvement they will be though.

Teslas dont have headlights washer because they only have 25w Xenons. But you would probably still need the auto leveling.

Aint the 25w Xenons legal without washers?

Dont know much of an improvement they will be though.

Teslas dont have headlights washer because they only have 25w Xenons. But you would probably still need the auto leveling.

European type approval only mandates washer systems on headlights with an output over 2000 lumens, regardless of how the light is generated (including standard halogens). Fitting a sub-2000 lumen aftermarket HID kit would still be illegal, unless that kit was type approved for the vehicle it is fitted in.

Whether a police officer would care, though, if you ever happened to even see one on the roads these days, is an entirely different matter :)

MOT man doesn't really have much to do with this, as they don't have them checking parts for e-marks or cross referencing type approvals yet. They only check washer/levelling systems work if they are fitted, not if they should be.

Edited by Huskoda
  • Like 1

The MK2 required no tools. It had a single thumbscrew and a lever. It should be law that head and tail lights should require no (or very basic) tools to change the bulbs and that the process should be doable at the roadside.

• Like 1

The MK2 required no tools. It had a single thumbscrew and a lever. It should be law that head and tail lights should require no (or very basic) tools to change the bulbs and that the process should be doable at the roadside.

perhaps a recommendation by the stealers 

Thank you for all the responses, I'm still not sure how to remove the headlight unit!

My Scout does have headlight washers fitted. I have already installed H7R HID bulbs in dipped beam lights, these have really improved the dreadful dipped beam, there is no dazzle and no beam scatter with the kit I fitted. I still would like to upgrade the main beam bulbs, but am finding it almost impossible to plug in the connector for the bulb through the restricted access in the headlamp.

Why Skoda are putting out a £28K car with candle powered headlights is beyond me. Perhaps I should have bought the SEAT.

On 29/02/2016 at 13:26, R22JGB said:

Thank you for all the responses, I'm still not sure how to remove the headlight unit!

My Scout does have headlight washers fitted. I have already installed H7R HID bulbs in dipped beam lights, these have really improved the dreadful dipped beam, there is no dazzle and no beam scatter with the kit I fitted. I still would like to upgrade the main beam bulbs, but am finding it almost impossible to plug in the connector for the bulb through the restricted access in the headlamp.

Why Skoda are putting out a £28K car with candle powered headlights is beyond me. Perhaps I should have bought the SEAT.

As mentioned earlier, to remove the headlights you need to take off the front bumper - there is a guide here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313708-octavia-3-iii-vrs-front-bumper-removal-how-to/

I really wouldn't suggest you use aftermarket HID's for main beams, they take longer to get to full brightness and are likely to fail more quickly when use to flash. The H15 variants look particularly bad with the extra bulb attached, there is no way they can even be close to the halogen they are intended to replace.

Your H7R bulbs are causing glare/dazzle to other drivers, this is a picture you posted in another thread.

image.jpeg

The shape of the beam looks about right although as it has saturated the camera it's hard to see where the hotspot etc actually is. It's the area I've marked out in red here that's the real problem.

H7R HID.jpg

That is caused by light that isn't being controlled by the headlight and is causing glare. I can't see any trace of the same pattern from the halogen even with the brightness/contrast turned up.

contrast.jpg

It's even obvious in the other image you posted looking back at the car, the bloom around the HID is huge.

image.jpeg

If you want better headlights, do it properly as the above is absolutely terrible.

Either find original Skoda xenon's or quality aftermarket HID projectors and fit them in the original light clusters. As you have headlight washers you've got a good start but both should also have a self-levelling kit fitted as well. You can either use the original Skoda version to get AFS functionally or Hella make an aftermarket version for conversion kits.

Edited by langers2k
Updated image locations
  • Like 1

In case anyone is interested there is a very good article on HID Conversion Kits in Auto Express this week, Feb 24 ~ 1st March issue 1.410 pages 26~28.

Well worth a read and could put some off fitting these. They may pass an MOT test but could still make the car non-roadworthy thereby invalidating your insurance. See 'Insurance and MoT implications' & 'What does the Law say' on page 28.

However, as they say; the choice is yours!

As mentioned earlier, to remove the headlights you need to take off the front bumper - there is a guide here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313708-octavia-3-iii-vrs-front-bumper-removal-how-to/

I really wouldn't suggest you use aftermarket HID's for main beams, they take longer to get to full brightness and are likely to fail more quickly when use to flash. The H15 variants look particularly bad with the extra bulb attached, there is no way they can even be close to the halogen they are intended to replace.

Your H7R bulbs are causing glare/dazzle to other drivers, this is a picture you posted in another thread.

image.jpeg

The shape of the beam looks about right although as it has saturated the camera it's hard to see where the hotspot etc actually is. It's the area I've marked out in red here that's the real problem.

H7R HID.jpg

That is caused by light that isn't being controlled by the headlight and is causing glare. I can't see any trace of the same pattern from the halogen even with the brightness/contrast turned up.

contrast.jpg

It's even obvious in the other image you posted looking back at the car, the bloom around the HID is huge.

image.jpeg

If you want better headlights, do it properly as the above is absolutely terrible.

Either find original Skoda xenon's or quality aftermarket HID projectors and fit them in the original light clusters. As you have headlight washers you've got a good start but both should also have a self-levelling kit fitted as well. You can either use the original Skoda version to get AFS functionally or Hella make an aftermarket version for conversion kits.

I think if another driver crashed head on as a result of being dazzled by this illegal lighting bodge up your insurance company would rightly refuse to cover you. then you'd be looking at paying compo for the rest of your life. Personally I would fit Legal uprated halogens msuch as Nightbreakers. Or buy a car with HIDS as standard

+1 Carrock. Crashes caused by being dazzled are on the increase due to the problems of these 'Kits'. As the Auto Express article headline states:

"As the number of accidents related to dazzling headlights rises, we call for more action to end the sale of HID conversion kits in the UK".

I have upgraded my  H7 and H15 with new bulbs from Powerbulbs, a great improvement and totally legal.

• Like 1