Guy Martin Speed - F1 Special

Coops

I think it was just more about Guy and his bike. Its something he can easily get hold of and is used to riding. He'd take weeks to get used to a MotoGP bike, itd be a completely different beast.

But MotoGP bikes are built from the ground up to be race bikes, just like F1 cars are.

It's all for the viewers at the end of the day though. If they'd put a clio cup against the S1000rr, it wouldn't of got the viewers

Plus he would need someone willing to lend him one. I think it said his bike was worth £250k. God knows how much more a MotoGP bike costs.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Plus he would need someone willing to lend him one. I think it said his bike was worth £250k. God knows how much more a MotoGP bike costs.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Roughly £1-1.5million according to a quick google :D

Did anyone catch how much the F1 car was worth?

• 5 months later...

Really enjoy watching those shows.  Refreshing to watch somebody like Guy Martin on TV -  down to earth, what you see is what you get and what he doesn't know about an engine isn't worth knowing!  Just give the man a cup of tea and he's happy!!  Pity he wasn't closer but there were so many variables to contend with, especially if they were tight for time beforehand.

• Like 2

I loved how they made the Transit faster, but still left it with a dodgy gear shift (like most of them ;)  ).

I thought that as well,you would think with them converting it to rwd that they could have designed & fabricated a floor mounted gear lever mechanism that worked direct or as close as to the gearbox itself as they clearly knew what they were doing with the build.

The box was probably designed as a cable shift from the start. Bear in mind they were mostly using off the shelf parts. The transit is available as front, rear or four wheel drive. The engine started out as the v6 ecoboost (us transit, f-series pickups, taunus? ). They seemed to be tuning the ratios at the diff, so the gearbox might not have been particularly custom.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see they did the drill in the swimming pool with the simulated deflated air ship, parachute and re-righting the 150 kgs inflatable dingy was thorough training for the attempt and the Sea survival training, along with Fire fighting at sea, were a couple of the scariest courses I ever did.  Good to see they go through all the detail so others do not try and do such things half cocked.    

Wasn't impressed with last nights programme as previous episodes have been about 'speed'. If they wanted someone to pedal power a helium airship across the channel a Tour de France winner might have been a better candidate.

Wasn't impressed with last nights programme as previous episodes have been about 'speed'. If they wanted someone to pedal power a helium airship across the channel a Tour de France winner might have been a better candidate.

Well, a road racer certainly; I'm thinking of one of the guys who've done a 2 hour time trial or won a mountain top finish (probably in the Alps) rather than necessarily a General Classification winner.