Odd bits i miss from S2

I have KESSY and when I stop the engine the interior lights don't come on UNTIL I open the door. With the keyed S2 they came on when I took the key out.

Can't seem to just put drivers reading light on. It's all or nothing but passenger one can be switched on individually.

Edited by Coops

I have KESSY and when I stop the engine the interior lights don't come on UNTIL I open the door. With the keyed S2 they came on when I took the key out.

Can't seem to just put drivers reading light on. It's all or nothing but passenger one can be switched on individually.

I wonder if that's a little bit of 'cost efficiency' during the design for our RHD cars here in blighty? They would be much better as individual switches though. The S2's light switch design was spot on. 

I also miss having my dials light up when the sidelights are on.

I've worded this very carefully so it doesn't turn into another thread bemoaning the S3  :notme:

I've worded this very carefully so it doesn't turn into another thread bemoaning the S3  :notme:

Don't get me wrong I love the S3 and think it's a massive step up from the S2, but I spend a lot of time in the car and notice these little things.

If I had the Combi like my S2 I'd probably bemoan the loss of the boot rails along with the hooks, strap and bar that went with it. The nets and luggage retainers redress that to a certain degree and as that comes with the hatchback too I consider it a gain for me.

Other than the interior lights there are a few small things, like the phonebook list on the MFD, but they're all things I can learn to live without.

The list of what I had on my S2 but not on the S3 is minuscule compared to a list of what my S3 has that the S2 didn't.

• Like 1

Yes, I had the combi and certainly agree about the boot rails etc. It seems pretty clear they suffered the accountants' axe, together with the downgrade of the carpets.

I saw in an Audi showroom the other day that the above system still resides in Audis.

Again, however, it’s a minor loss overall.

• Like 2

And a regular front seat passenger bemoaned the loss of the little net storage that was fitted to the side of the front console.

That is in use in our car quite a lot, will miss it when I change.

I miss the space in the cubby holes in the boot.  I came to fill them again with stuff from the old Superb (First Aid kit, tyre pump and general detritus) to find that the one on the left is full of plastic (TV tuner maybe?) and the one on the right has a step that takes up about 1/3rd of the space and the rest is wedge shaped. All I've managed to fit in is the FA kit, pump and the nets that came with the car.  Everything else has been left in the garage for now.

Looks like I might have to invest in the boot bag.

I miss the space in the cubby holes in the boot.  I came to fill them again with stuff from the old Superb (First Aid kit, tyre pump and general detritus) to find that the one on the left is full of plastic (TV tuner maybe?) and the one on the right has a step that takes up about 1/3rd of the space and the rest is wedge shaped. All I've managed to fit in is the FA kit, pump and the nets that came with the car.  Everything else has been left in the garage for now.

The left side space is filled with the subwoofer for the Canton sound system - it's got to go somewhere!

Edited by l4wrence

String one of those nets that came with the car along the left side. It's a pouch net that can easily hold those little nick-nacks without compromising much luggage space. It will limit access to the left cubbyhole but you can still open it enough to get at those folding luggage elements when needed. Alternatively, or in addition to, string one width wise across the very back (where the warning triangle recess is located).

String one of those nets that came with the car along the left side. It's a pouch net that can easily hold those little nick-nacks without compromising much luggage space. It will limit access to the left cubbyhole but you can still open it enough to get at those folding luggage elements when needed. Alternatively, or in addition to, string one width wise across the very back (where the warning triangle recess is located).

After all that's what they are there for (L&K Models), I removed the ones I had in my Fabia and I'm using the longer one of the 3 across the back where the warning triangle recess is as well as the standard ones on both sides and the boot floor, after all you have to take them out of the RH side cubby hole to be able to store your First Aid Kit. ;)

Edited by Prykey

Miss all the above, glad someone else does too! what about those little led lights that used to shine down from in front the rear view mirror and light up the centre console, great to find items you needed without turning on the interior lights...

Don't get me wrong I love the S3 and think it's a massive step up from the S2, but I spend a lot of time in the car and notice these little things.

Same here, sometimes 6 or 7 hours a day. I've noticed plenty of little things I've missed, but it's all too easy for threads to turn into more Mk3 bashing exercises. Obviously we're all spoilt when driving Superbs  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I agree with the following:

the phonebook list on the MFD, but they're all things I can learn to live without.

what about those little led lights that used to shine down from in front the rear view mirror and light up the centre console, great to find items you needed without turning on the interior lights...

The biggest thing I miss though is the silence in the car (especially when cold) due to the racket my glovebox makes  :@

Oh and the VBF was handy in my S2 combi, but thats not really fair as I ordered the S3 hatch so no VBF this time round.

I didn't have the VBF in my last FL Superb, but had it in my first pre FL Superb. 

I've got in my S3 and it's VERY clever. Pull it up and towards you and it drops from its raised position to the lower position against the floor. An excellent piece of design. 

I'm kinda missing the copious storage cubbies in the boot. That's partly my fault for ordering a car where they stuff a subwoofer in one of said cubby holes  :p

I used to store loads of random crap for work in those cubbies so I will have to think of an alternative storage solution. 

All the storage areas seem to have been scaled down. Noticed this when transferring 'stuff' from S2 to S3. Glove box won't take much more than the manuals pack. Had a job ramming my bag of mint imperials into the 'right knee cubby'!

The door storage now overflows and, as mentioned, the boot stores are smaller.

Also have lost the sunglasses storage - had sunroof on S2 and now on S3, but S3 has a blanking piece where sunglasses drop down should be!

No storage tray inside rear armrest.

No biggee! Still plenty of room though. It's just noticeable when changing from the S2.

It's the same on the A6  no interior lights on till the door handle is pulled.  

All the storage areas seem to have been scaled down. Noticed this when transferring 'stuff' from S2 to S3. Glove box won't take much more than the manuals pack. Had a job ramming my bag of mint imperials into the 'right knee cubby'!

The door storage now overflows and, as mentioned, the boot stores are smaller.

Also have lost the sunglasses storage - had sunroof on S2 and now on S3, but S3 has a blanking piece where sunglasses drop down should be!

No storage tray inside rear armrest.

No biggee! Still plenty of room though. It's just noticeable when changing from the S2.

Do you actually have any sunglasses that would fit the holder? I have a pair of Ray Bans, that fold quite flat. But they don´t fit in the sunglass holder, so to me, it´s very useless.

If the storage areas has decreased in the S3, that would be a great excuse to do a clean-up in all the crap that usually piles up in all those little compartments :)

Edited by GaSelle

Do you actually have any sunglasses that would fit the holder? I have a pair of Ray Bans, that fold quite flat. But they don´t fit in the sunglass holder, so to me, it´s very useless.

On the S3 the sunglasses holder is actually quite deep and therefore very useful.

My Oakleys (which are quite bulky due to their wrap around design) would not fit in the S2 holder but they easily fit in the S3 holder

Not got mine yet but already know (from a nosey around) that I'll miss the B pillar air vents which were excellent at clearing fogged up rear side windows!

Not got mine yet but already know (from a nosey around) that I'll miss the B pillar air vents which were excellent at clearing fogged up rear side windows!

I thought I would too - but that turned out not to be the case. I don't know how, given the lack of obvious visible vents, but mine clear as quick in my S3 hatchback as they did in my S2 estate.

• Like 1