Leather Noise

rriggs

Hi

The last couple of weeks the back seat in my Yeti has started making a racket. It sounds like a rattle but I think it is actually the leather (or faux leather) sides of the seats rubbing/touching. If I slide the OS outer rear seat forward and back again the noise stops for a few days. Anyone else had this? Any fixes?

Dealer's going to have a look when they next have the car in but in the meantime it's driving me nuts.

I used a spray on leather dressing, (that smelled like leather) on all the seats

it stopped a squeaky noise completely.

Thanks for the tips guys. It's not the seatbelts as I did them up and ot still did it. The sides of the middle seat are fabric where they meet the outer seat and I think it might be where the seatback meets the base so I might try some leather conditioner there. It might not be there but it's somewhere to start.

Nice to know it's not just me!

Managed to stop it for now. I have put a microfibre cloth between the bottom of the backrest and the seat base and all is now silent in the back. The rata-tat-tat has gone. Now need to figure out a permanent fix for it but at least it's stopped doing my head in.

So, the little rattle/buzz that's started in the driver's side of the dash next... My old Yeti was 5 years old when it went and had no rattles. My new Yeti has only done 600 miles and is already annoying. I hope this isn't a bad sign...

Silicone spray around the instrument binnacle should stop the rattle/buzz on the dash. Plenty of posts on this problem.

Thanks for that. I've had a look at the other posts and am not 100% clear where the silicone needs to go? Do I need to disassemble anything or am I just aiming for a gap?

The silicon is to treat 'creaking' plastic , and the first place is the narrow gap between the instrument cowl and the outer edges of the tacho and speedo.

The fluttering noise(?)

Dead leaf in the air plenum chamber or associated flexible Kopex tubing a possibility......common noise and v frustrating to find and eliminate.

• Like 1

The way to check if its the dash creaking is to slightly press the top right (about 2 oclock position) of the speedo binnacle upwards. If it creaks then spray some dry lube silicone in the gap between the binnacle and the dashboard surround. Only a small amount needed and wipe up any overspray immediately. A spray can with a 'pipe' is best. Robert Dyas do one. You can then repeat the first test to see if you have cured it. The tacho binnacle may need the same treatment, but on mine it was just the speedo side.

• Like 1

Silicone spray around the instrument binnacle should stop the rattle/buzz on the dash. Plenty of posts on this problem.

So much for extensive manufacturer testing!

• 2 weeks later...

Is all dry lube the same? Popped into town at lunch time and found lots of dry lube for bikes and dry lube pfte but nothing that said it was dry lube silicone. Are all these things the same? Is WD40 a dry lube?

Sorry if a silly question but don't want to end up making a shiny wet mess of my dashboard!

Most of the better "dry lubes" are a teflon (ptfe) spray, which should be fine on most plastics, but not something i would be using on fabric or leather.

Silicone is totally different, but the most common silicone spray is Mister Sheen polish, which is safe on leather.

WD40 is a WET water dispersant; it is definitely not dry!!

(I did spend 10 years as a rep and sales manager for an American workshop consumables company in the UK!)

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1