Storm damage to car- worth claiming on insurance?

Good afternoon,

Thanks to storm "Katie" last night we had some tiles come off the roof of our house, as well as a damaged window in the house a ridge tile (or part of a ridge tile) landed on the offside rear quarter of my Superb estate - see attached picture.

My question is does anyone have any views as to whether to repair to this damage is going to be more than my excess (£150). I have protected no claims so don't have a problem making a claim but don't want the potential increase in premium at renewal time if the repair would be on or around the excess figure.

Not having any espereince of bodywork repairs I wonder whether anyone has a view as to likely cost of repairing this damage,.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.post-134462-0-47322300-1459176555_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure with the light cluster out if there is access to the rear of the panel that dent will be able to be teased out completely, then it just needs a bit of paint. I have a feeling it would cost more in the long run with increased premiums than it would to just pay and get it done.

Make sure you get somebody decent to do the job because a bad paint job will be just as offensive to the eye as that dent.

The previous picture wasn't very good - this may be better

A good dent repairer will be able to remove the dent; they'll probably need to drill a hole into the double skin behind the light cluster. But it'll need paint of course. Prob £100 for the dent and similar for paint. A scratch 'n' dent repearer would be cheaper..

Edited by numskull

Even with protected no claims, your "risk" can go up in the event of a claim and you can still find increased premiums.  I'd be tempted to first get quotes.  I'd be fairly confident £150 could sort that out fairly well

• Like 1

I damaged my bumper and a part of this quarter , I paid for it privately , the repairer said this is twin skinned and would be a lot more work to sort out. Admittedly my damage is only a tiny dent in comparison to yours

I have a similar size problem on my front passenger door (right in th middle of the main section). It is costing me £100 cash or £150 plus vat from a well known repair company. My neighbor recommended them.

Even with protected no claims, your "risk" can go up in the event of a claim and you can still find increased premiums.  I'd be tempted to first get quotes.  I'd be fairly confident £150 could sort that out fairly well

Yes, you're right. We've been stung twice on this. I was parked in a private car park in front of a shop. I saw an idiot back into my locked stationary car via the shop window. I rushed out, challenged the driver, he hopped back into his car and drove off! The insurance co, More than, lost all the details - three times -and then failed to follow it up. They ended-up paying me compensation, so there wasn't a claim, but I was STILL penalised the following year for the "incident"! My wife's car was stationary and her car was clipped at the OS rear by a London Bus coming in the opposite direction. Their claims dept were fantastic, handled the claim well, but her premium went up by £120 the following year for a "non-fault incident". Gone are the days of fault/non fault; everyone now gets hit with higher premiums. I complained to the ABI, and was told this was all about risk... It's all about an increased revenue racket!

• Like 1

Another one here for offering a warning on claiming off the insurance.

Protected no claims or not, your premium will increase as you will have made a claim.

The NCB will still be applied come renewal time, but the discount will be taken off a higher premium.

I'd recommend paying for this out of your own pocket.

Can something like this not be claimed off the house insurance given that the tile came off the roof? I'm assuming you'll already be making a claim for the roof and ridge tiles?

• Like 2

Update - put the claim with the car insurance company on hold whilst I sought an alternative (especially as the insurance company had estimated the repai bill at £600!). A mechanic friend (who is a Skoda technician and services my Superb) gave me a recommendation for a mobile paint guy who has quoted me £160 (my excess is £150) so am going to go with that and tell the insirance company that I am not going to progress my claim with them - didn't think it was worth the potential increase in premium later this year when there's little difference in cost to me know.

To my mind one of the main reasons why insurance premiums are so high are the seemingly astronomical costs for repairs and all the middle men (claims handling companies) who take their slice.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice.

Many years ago a ridge tile came off my dads house and near enough went straight though the bonnet of my little Mk 1 Fiesta. He tried to claim off the house insurance for it but was unable to as it was our car on our drive. If it had hit the neighbours car then he would have been able to claim for that. Things may have changed in the last 20 or so years though.

Sorry but as you have notified/logged a claim/damage and then cancel it...this will still be a blot on your file.

Watch your premium go up on renewal, they will insist its nothing to do with the fact you notified them of a claim, which you then cancelled :(