vRS Car really unsteady at high speed

So I let it rip on a track a bit today and got the car up to almost 120MPH but it jus did not inspire confidence just seemed real unstable and fidgety at the front.

Quite a few years back I had a modded XR3i with no suspension mods and had that up to 120MPH ish on same track and it felt a lot more confident.

Maybe jus the wind or bad track  :sweat:

Edited by davitc

I've found my vRS can be twitchy at normal speeds in the wind, but without wind at 'high' speed never a problem - would imagine wth recent weather it was the wind unless you have a specific issue with tracking etc

• Like 1

An idea before pushing on on track or road.

Yep jus didn't expect it, guess it was the wind it certainly feels OK on fast roundabouts and bends. Going away next weekend so will be checking all the tyres during the week.

How is the alignment?  It's worth having a check made by someone with Hunter kit before going anywhere near a track.  A small problem on the road might not be that noticeable but certainly becomes an issue when you are pushing it on a track.

As regards tyre pressures, conventional wisdom is to drop them before going on the track.  Another point worth considering is tyre wear and possible mis-match between tyre makes.

This might be a stupid question, but did you turn the lane assist off? There were some comments on another thread abput the car wandering and being vague and it turned out to be the lane guidance.

My car feels better approaching those speeds than it does at 70 and that's just an Elegance.

Either the wind or something to check on your car.

I was amazed how nice my car felt when over the ton.

Edited by JungleJames

I would imagine that all Octavias are unstable in high wind as they are so light in comparison with the size.

I know my vRS is quite unstable even at low speeds when there is a reasonable cross-wind.

• Like 1

I would imagine that all Octavias are unstable in high wind as they are so light in comparison with the size.

I know my vRS is quite unstable even at low speeds when there is a reasonable cross-wind.

...and they're not exactly the lowest cars in the world when not fully loaded up even with vRS/sport suspension so can catch it i think.

Mines been checked on 4 wheel Hunter recently and still done this at normal/lower speeds with lane assist off - so pretty confident its weight/height vs wind issue on mine. I do around 40k miles per year on the motorway mostly so see a range of conditions at normal-higher speeds. Using sports mode/heavy steering mode does help a bit as suggested.

+1 for Sports mode for the steering weight.  On my Scirocco, over 120mph (Autobahn before anyone asks) it got rather unruly - especially when a bit of cross wind came knocking.  Tried it with the steering in Sport mode and it was much more planted all the way to Vmax (I got to the book value of 134mph - that was enough, and the objective).

Everything feels stable compared to my old Fiat Uno at 80mph in top gear (4th). Scariest moment of my life was overtaking a truck on a windy day.

Back on topic though, I've done track days and and autobahns in the skoda and I've never found it fidgety, just noisy.