Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

3 minutes ago, skodalad said:

I'm putting this on my 'to do' list for next season.

I'll still be doing this next season I think!!!

Spent over an hour yesterday refurbishing the bracket that holds the alarm siren to the body above the rear beam... you can't even see it when the beams in... but at least I know it's done right..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I'll still be doing this next season I think!!!

Spent over an hour yesterday refurbishing the bracket that holds the alarm siren to the body above the rear beam... you can't even see it when the beams in... but at least I know it's done right..

Well worth doing though, A lot of the stuff on my car was for me that no-one will see to but the sense of satisfaction is worth it 

Tonight's fun and games...

IMG_2121.thumb.JPG.edd3aeed52069c1aa5cc2b0322ee1a7d.JPG

taking years off my life burning the rear beam bushes out of the axle which came from the Yellow one. 

Some specific mods are going to be done to this axle to allow the Jabba RARB to be fitted properly instead of with mikalor clamps 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lofty said:

taking years off my life burning the rear beam bushes out of the axle which came from the Yellow one. 

:D I can only imagine the fun you had with them.

I think i've lost a few years doing similar things with heat!

• 3 weeks later...

Forth Bridge spring to mind?

The prepping and painting is progressing, progressing slowly due to not having enough hours in the day, but, and it's a big but, it's getting there slowly.

The central floorpan is almost done, took longer than I thought as there was lots of cracked factory sealant that had let water creep behind and it needed addressing properly, particularly the inboard edge of the sill lips, behind the factory reinforced jacking points- more of this in a bit...

Most of the body plugs are now back in, I'm waiting on the two main front to rear hard brake lines as they are on back order with TPS, so here's how it stands now..

Area just after the diesel cooler before...

IMG_2247.thumb.JPG.10163c75f737ccc3dc8bc39448e3ce71.JPG

and now...

IMG_2308.thumb.JPG.c16d8cc19737f2bfde6d172e69e391a3.JPG

• Like 4

The guys from TPS sent me an email with a pic of the brake pipes on to make sure they were the right ones...

These are the main two front to rear brake pipes that run the full length of the car from ABS pump to the rear axle. Due to the crap VW parts diagrams and descriptions it took them three attempts to get the right ones, needless to say the boxes were equally as big

IMG_2346.thumb.PNG.ca01f85c88191950765dfdb281e7a376.PNG

IMG_2347.thumb.PNG.211e8e723ebf2d4c9b272199e0ff672f.PNG

IMG_2348.thumb.PNG.c37b967342f277e9217f48863c491389.PNG

This means that every single hard brake line on the car has been replaced, all because over the years the unions corrode onto the pipes and twist the pipe when you undo them.

Had to graciously leave the boxes behind and managed to fit them both inside the black vRS quite easily 

• Like 4

Being a factory equipped Xenon headlamp car mine has the Xenon level sensor bolted just in front of the rear beam, needless to say after 11 years it was fully functional but scabby as a dead dog.

IMG_2217.thumb.JPG.103e4f26769b5a82b48030cadcfbe915.JPG

IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.84b7d7ac8d467f151a7590a05c41cbb1.JPG

Split down into it's component parts.

IMG_2225.thumb.JPG.74b8355e254efee00bc7f79c171c891a.JPG

The linkage was renewed for new, same for the alloy heat shield, the rest of the thicker brackets were mechanically derusted then soaked in deox-c.

IMG_2226.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Back on it today having been off playing in Germany

Collected the rear crash bar, front subframe mounting plates and the solid part of the gearbox mounting, all gloss black just to annoy Coskev 

Before...

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.323b8495917d4aa90cc5aa87084bf3e7.JPG

IMG_2352.thumb.JPG.f890a460d0876e423f07a90b61fae4ee.JPG

And after Bournes powdercoating in Birmingham have worked their magic..

IMG_2496.thumb.JPG.5a797c159d4fd9810e4c041e72243609.JPG

IMG_2497.thumb.JPG.cea1a4d741903f6f123796ffc0d8707a.JPG

The drivers front arch is now painted, just waiting on some more clips from TPS that are on back order then hopefully get onto the passenger front arch.

• Like 2

One worrying discovery was the hard line PAS pipes. Where they come from the pump towards the rack they pass through an oblong retaining clip fixed to the inner wing. Unusually poor design means that road muck and moisture sit encased on the pipes and as such mind are very corroded indeed. It's the kind of thing you only discover when dismantling the car to this degree but I'm confident that as soon as I unclip them they're gonna start leaking hence this lot...

IMG_2415.thumb.JPG.4809b38d1324452faca2a7e0df7f7179.JPG

Both PAS hard lines from pump to rack, also taking the chance to change the clutch hardline and flexi into the bleed breather (also renewing the breather)

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3