Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

11 hours ago, pip_vrs said:

Can you not specify a new car at TPS? would be easier at this rate :D

Probably, but that would deprive us all of the epic journey that we're all jointly on with this car. :thumbup:

• Like 2

I feel the pain of picking a colour for the calipers, I've had that problem for about 6 month so sticking with red, abit boring and not really for you but I think either silver or black for your calipers personally. Maybe photoshop them green and see how it looks  

On 10/06/2017 at 15:23, Lofty said:

One worrying discovery was the hard line PAS pipes. Where they come from the pump towards the rack they pass through an oblong retaining clip fixed to the inner wing. Unusually poor design means that road muck and moisture sit encased on the pipes and as such mind are very corroded indeed. It's the kind of thing you only discover when dismantling the car to this degree but I'm confident that as soon as I unclip them they're gonna start leaking hence this lot...

IMG_2415.thumb.JPG.4809b38d1324452faca2a7e0df7f7179.JPG

Both PAS hard lines from pump to rack, also taking the chance to change the clutch hardline and flexi into the bleed breather (also renewing the breather)

I'm working my way round the engine bay and have got some pics of the crusty PAS pipes..

IMG_2589.thumb.JPG.a243108fb56ed17fefaef26c7e42c96b.JPG

Not the best pic I know but until I strip them off the car that's all I've got. 

The PAS pump has gotta come off to, as all the brackets are crusty as well

IMG_2590.thumb.JPG.1453f880dadf092c7517af8b961144bd.JPG

This heat is a good excuse to not mess with the car but hopefully the weekend will see more progress and at least have the n/s/f inner wing/leg stripped bare

• Like 2

Few hours again this afternoon has seen more progress.

The new front to rear brake lines have been fitted, plumbed into the rear flexible hoses and the ABS pump at the bulkhead. 

Fuel tank has been refitted, along with the two rear most exhaust heat shields. New exhaust hangers have also been fitted.

The PAS pipes have been fitted and the N/S/F inner wing has been stripped of the wiring loom, washer bottle and PAS pump. Hopefully get the chassis leg/inner arch in paint by next weekend then we can start getting the rear beam and front subframe refitted. 

IMG_2688.thumb.JPG.1837fe5db3c274efee70a35c2ed294c0.JPG

IMG_2689.thumb.JPG.704efad2938b64e97e7e8a4719fbafed.JPG

IMG_2690.thumb.JPG.d40ca592411a82476fad5dde71dbfd37.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pip_vrs said:

Doesn't look too bad, mine is horrid under and in the arches. Not looking forward to cleaning it.

You'll soon find out once the arch liners are out. Get the best jetwasher you can, some super strong detergent, some tar remover and away you go. 

Give you something to do... not like you're busy doing other stuff is it lol....

• 2 weeks later...

Gear change cable brackets have been refurbished, steering rack stripped, refurbished and built back up with new genuine boot kits and clips, main central tunnel heat shield fitted, powdercoated central chassis brace fitted with new zinc plated fixings, new down pipe support bracket sent for powdercoating and also fitted with zinc plated fixings and new genuine rubbers (funky red colour now apparently)

IMG_2755.thumb.JPG.6da75c5ee686fb99f2d601a08a703549.JPG

IMG_2756.thumb.JPG.83063e5c6de20faebd4ce93c2eee8f54.JPG

IMG_2758.thumb.JPG.a52e67f94b82fc3b69feb100ec9dd88f.JPG

Had a shock when TPS quoted me nearly £150 for a new cradle/mounting bracket for the PAS pump, so I've had the old one blasted and powdercoated and it looks fine, not that it's ever seen!!