Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

So with the 'cone in a box' you just fit the standard airbox top on the lower part in your pic?

Struggling to see how that's any better than a panel filter TBH,as surely that cone has less surface area than a panel?

Edited by coskev

• 4 weeks later...

It's been fairly quiet on the daffodil front, Work, family and other stuff keeps getting in the way but I have been doing the odd pre-build up job now and again..

Sneaky peak of the front hubs I've been working on in the garage

From this ...

7517928B-B857-4CBC-8B1C-0F7CCF4DFD84_zps
2114DDCC-9EC8-4D34-AC4D-880E4D03E4A7_zps
405FA0C6-54A7-4E6C-8A8E-56161124D35D_zps

To this...

030558E4-D331-4CBF-8C46-BB01D25E82C3_zps

Not just a quick wire brush and flick of paint.. special tools have been purchased (Gen2 wheel bearing fitting tool for one), and many hours of soaking, scrubbing, treating and then finishing off.

I'll get some finished pics up over the weekend hopefully

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3

Getting stuff done can seem like extraordinarily hard work at times..

The Gen2 wheel bearing kit I bought has been supplied with a 66mm insertion clamshell tool instead of the correct sized 72mm one despite both the advert and the box saying 72mm so I've had a battle with the eBay seller over that.

The SKF wheel bearings/flanges have also been supplied wrong with no spring loaded securing ring fitted so they've had to go back as well, folks can't get nothing right it seems!

Upshot is that the hubs are ready apart from the correct bearings which should be here tomorrow, so I've chased out all the threads on there with the right size tap, and fitted the two new ABS sensors as they broke trying to remove them, well one did but I've put two new in.

C5B36877-8B09-47D3-9C09-4FFAD2BBA176_zps

6CBF217E-53EB-481D-A475-CF7EABB21B6E_zps

New Febi Bilstein drop links and track rod ends have arrived and they've all been rubbed down, etch primed and painted ready for the big build up.

Next purchase is a set of all four CV boots from TPS, so that I can refresh both driveshafts when they're off the car soon.

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 3

Hats off to you though, and a number of the other members on the forum for that matter. The attention to detail and commitment on some of these project cars in phenomenal.

Track rod ends...

As they come they are lightly painted which soon wears off and they end up looking shabby very quickly.

A1CE735D-781E-4192-A899-10EC024F1D11_zps

284CE7AD-39F6-48C8-9C35-DCF381D36117_zps

So a good rub down, then carefully masked up..

05477B7C-35D4-43A0-A8D8-DD708182BFDF_zps

Two good coats of etch primer, light rub down then a good coat of hard wearing VHT wrinkle black. Should keep them looking smart for a bit longer.

0AF13F7E-C1A8-47EB-BC44-5B4B12624E05_zps

A7BDEB32-1A8B-4C01-9A8E-8BC27BCB637B_zps

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 2

Kind of getting somewhere, had one wheel bearing delivered by a courier, god knows where the second one is?? Who am I to question two lots of postage when one would've done but hey ho, it's all fitted now and looks half decent.

EEAEF9A0-E190-447B-AB4B-516708F0D808_zps

BD0A45E2-1312-440D-B2B0-059291E7B909_zps

06542EE2-E42A-4E9A-9785-245F9E978058_zps

You can see where the spring / retaining collar sits in the top groove of the hub, you here a click as it bottoms out and the tangs pop out

And the inside edge and the ABS sensor pick up.

Next update will hopefully be a big one, the daffodil is donating its heart and lungs (engine and box actually) to the black one on the drive, that's happening next week so at least I'll be left with an empty engine bay to crack on with.

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 1

I wonder how mad people will get when I say I fitted one of these bearings with a press and not a gen 2 tool.

I even used 2 hook tools to lock the "lock ring" in place. I didn't even die.

#Butdidyoudie #sorrynotsorry

Edited by hutchysrs50
  • Like 2