Lofty's Sprint Yellow Fabia vRS Mk1 - "Project Daffodil"

Lofty

• 2 weeks later...

Not a very exciting update today but it's something that I wanted to double check before building the engine up.

Piston ring clearance is something not a lot of folks bother checking and it's quite hard to find the recommended figures anywhere on line, but I did.

Three piston rings on each piston, two upper compression rings and the lowest one being the oil control/scraper ring.

66BB4A08-73BE-4D11-AB29-A0625AA47CB7_zps

Broke out my trusty ring removal pliers..

Top ring went in first, pushed down with the upturned piston to ensure its square in the bore

8F295BCB-8ACD-45E4-B44A-597629597A0D_zps

Then the gap measured with feeler gauges

78AB33BD-3AF8-46F1-B455-E9F4426437E8_zps

Measurements were 0.40mm for the top two and 0.35 for the lower one, same across all four bores and all the rings were checked for uniformity.

Just waiting on the postman to bring some plastigague so I can check the bearing clearances then I'll start building it up

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 2

Not much gone on the last few days, been having a few chill days whilst being off work.

Unpacked my forged rods, weighed them and they were all exactly the same, 569g

18A46DB8-54E2-42FC-B1CD-4DF54DF3E0C2_zps

ARP rod bolts as well

183A1FE5-B83F-4599-A5C0-E27F69AD1696_zps

Bottom end assembly will start one night in the week, hope to get it built up to the point I can accurately measure piston protrusion so that I can order the right thickness 2.0 8v head gasket.

Piston oil spray jets have all been cleaned, blown through with solvent, dried off and refitted to the block, all torqued up to 25nm as well.

Next pics will be more interesting I hope

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 4

The tapping into the side of it is a good thing Jack. I'm retaining the methanol injection so it's saved me doing it lol

Fair enough then mate, I suppose its a good job then.

Question, How do you remove the the metal section of the oil dipstick tube??

And do you have a link to a new one??

Cheers, Jack

Edited by skodalad

The dipstick tube is an interference fit with the block, you won't twist it out or pull it out from above because it'll be stuck fast.

To get it out you have to drift it out from the inside of the block, be patient but hard with it. You'll destroy it getting it out for sure.

The new one just taps into place, put a tiny smear of RTV round the collar for good measure and it'll be fine.

Part number is 06D103643E

• Like 1

The dipstick tube is an interference fit with the block, you won't twist it out or pull it out from above because it'll be stuck fast.

To get it out you have to drift it out from the inside of the block, be patient but hard with it. You'll destroy it getting it out for sure.

The new one just taps into place, put a tiny smear of RTV round the collar for good measure and it'll be fine.

Part number is 06D103643E

That's as close to a perfect reply as you can get.

Top man. Ordered.

Inlet manifold has been fished out of the acid bath and as usual the Lexus kit has done the job.

Hard to photograph how clean the insides are but I've had a go.

Before..

520688AB-4438-4341-AA0E-2C3CA073DEDE_zps

6DF0BA6E-80C1-429E-944B-494638D9BDC9_zps

After..

C243ED32-8BDA-4D88-B76C-5C6300A479BE_zps

All the black carbon sludge has gone, left the finish of the raw cast aluminium.

The outside of the manifold will be prepped and painted this weekend. New manifold gaskets have been sourced from TPS

3B708E92-F0F0-4A51-AE28-C50DDBE4B8CA_zps

343159C8-AC01-4D43-B2F5-28A34BABF7CE_zps

Edited by Lofty