Have skoda reduced the Front brake disc size on new VRS's?

I've been following this thread for a while and I have send an e-mail to skoda-auto.cz about front brake disc size.

Today I got reply from them and this is their official statement:

Me -> Skoda-auto.cz

Dear Sir/Madame,

I ordered a new Skoda Octavia RS 2.0 TDI this monday (18.4.2016). The next day I saw a post on forums that you have recently reduced front brake disc size for Octavia RS 2.0 TDI from 340mm to 312mm.
I must say I'm really dissapointed on this decision of Skoda Auto. I belive that 312mm discs are also capable of stoping the car in all limits, but since I ordered 19" Extreme those discs will look really poor on those wheels. It is also interesting you have made this decision only for 2.0 TDI version. 2.0 TSI top speed is only about 20km/h higher then 2.0 TDI but TDI version is also a bit heavier then TSI. I believe you are trying to cut costs but please don't cut costs on brakes.

Is there a way that you can fit 340mm discs to the car I ordered? I would even pay some extra if that would be necessary.

Thank you for your reply.

Best regards,

Skoda-auto.cz -> Me

Dear Mr. *,

Thank you for your email. We are very pleased by your decision to buy the new ŠKODA Octavia RS.

Please be sure that all the models from our production have been tested and homologated by the responsible institutions. The
brake disc diameter 340mm - 312mm does not influence safety use of the car.

The car has been homologated with the diameter 312 mm for front brake discs, any change to bigger one is not allowed.

Best regards,

Bc. *, Péče o zákazníka / Customer Care / Kundenbetreuung
ŠKODA AUTO a.s., Tř. Václava Klementa 869, 293 60 Mladá Boleslav, Czech Republic
[email protected] , www.skoda-auto.cz , www.skoda-auto.com

I knew they will find some excuse anyway. It took them almost a month to find one.

Like most of you I'm also dissapointed on their decision. If nothing else those discs will look really poor on those 19" wheels  :'(  

Spoke to Nathan again today.

He has informed me that the bigger brakes can physically be fitted to the axles but it is factories decision not to authorise this and that Skoda will not pay for it. I have informed him that my quote from 2015 included those brakes in the price and therefore I have already paid for the product and installation. It is their mistake for fitting the wrong part and that is a cost they will need to cover along with correctly balancing the remainder.

I have expressed that if they can be fitted, ideally I would like my car as quoted in 2015 but they will need to make sure that the entire system is 100% before letting the car back on the road).

I am sure they are aware of negative media attention and would rather avoid this.

I hope he does read these post and see that people obviously communicate. Today I recieved a call from Nathan stating they physically will not be upgrading the brakes, skoda will not authorise it and yes I'm sure bigger brakes could be fitted to the cars but Ecu would also need re-programming.

They are offering £100 virgin activity vouchers or pay for your first service.

Is it only the Tdi Vrs that get the 312mm discs. Do the petrol and the 230 get the 340mm brakes?

AG

Only the oil burner, the petrol gets he 340mm.

Free service ain't too bad, that must be worth 180?

• Like 1

Airborne, we get back to the precise terms of your original order. Did it actually quote 340mm brake discs?

Doubt it very much, the vehicle order form just states which model and gearbox ordered along with any options specified. The vehicle has been delivered as the current spec from the manufacturer who cover themselves by stating that they reserve the right to change base spec. The vehicle still performs the same and buyers out with this forum wouldn't notice the spec change. It's all getting a bit silly now.....

• Like 3

Doubt it very much, the vehicle order form just states which model and gearbox ordered along with any options specified. The vehicle has been delivered as the current spec from the manufacturer who cover themselves by stating that they reserve the right to change base spec. The vehicle still performs the same and buyers out with this forum wouldn't notice the spec change. It's all getting a bit silly now.....

+1.

• Like 1

allan, my point exactly, as I've been banging on about for several pages.

• Like 3

The reply on the homologation is BS as Skoda CZ will well know

The cars have been type Aproved with the brakes as were fitted back then originally and not been re done. Maybe for EU Emissions testing it would be restested and at a lighter weight and have a different ved band, but it had not been

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Interesting point, GoneOffSki. The rules on re-testing after a change such as this (not just a different brand, which I expect would be OK) might be silent, though. I dunno.

Does the 184 Scout have the smaller discs? If so its probably homologated that way.

Although I dare say they submit all manner of weird combinations from the off for type approval to cover this situation.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I had the call on Friday offering me the vouchers, to be honest pretty happy with that and the fact they've acknowledged it's been a **** up on their part not to inform people and seriously underestimated the type of person who buys a model like a vRS, I've still made it clear I'd like to know why the change was made and why only the tdi, I actually don't care now what the reason is I'd just like the truth even if it's as simple as just a cost cutting exercise.

I had the call on Friday offering me the vouchers, to be honest pretty happy with that and the fact they've acknowledged it's been a **** up on their part not to inform people and seriously underestimated the type of person who buys a model like a vRS, I've still made it clear I'd like to know why the change was made and why only the tdi, I actually don't care now what the reason is I'd just like the truth even if it's as simple as just a cost cutting exercise.

The sort of person who buys a VRS TDI wants a decent turn of speed and economy from a warm family run around at a reasonable price and as Skoda UK have found out, complain like mad over what is a cosmetic issue. The 312mm brakes are perfectly adequate otherwise Skoda wouldn't fit them. As other posters have noted, Skoda cover themselves for changes by a small print statement. I am amazed that they have issued any compensatory measures. If the majority of VRS drivers were really that serious about speed, they wouldn't be driving a VRS.

• Like 1

The sort of person who buys a VRS TDI wants a decent turn of speed and economy from a warm family run around at a reasonable price and as Skoda UK have found out, complain like mad over what is a cosmetic issue. The 312mm brakes are perfectly adequate otherwise Skoda wouldn't fit them. As other posters have noted, Skoda cover themselves for changes by a small print statement. I am amazed that they have issued any compensatory measures. If the majority of VRS drivers were really that serious about speed, they wouldn't be driving a VRS.

So what would they drive then? Considering the vRS shares the same engine, running gear and platform as other "performance" marques in the VAG family. I don't think anyone has questioned the adequacy of the brakes, I certainly havent, my gripe is that they are a downgrade from what I was expecting and what essentially I thought I'd paid for, that I'm afraid is a FACT, the 340mm set up is more expensive and of a "higher" performance. A downgrade doesn't mean it not up to the job, just not as high a spec.
  • Like 1

I think Im pretty much in the same boat. I didn't really want the vouchers though so asked for my first service to be paid for. They are willing to do that if you ask.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to raise a old thread, but I was having a quick look on carzone and as it's pretty much all oil burners in Ireland there is yet to be registered 2017 vRS TDI with either 340mm brakes or 312mm brakes.

So is it only UK spec diesels being given the 312mm or are the people in the factory putting on disc brakes closest to hand?

post-52418-0-47974700-1482883412_thumb.png

post-52418-0-40389300-1482883429_thumb.png

Edited by SkodaCB

I don't understand your post, if the Irish vRS is being fitted with neither 312mm or 340mm discs what are they getting?

Irish vRS are getting fitted with either 312mm or 340mm, but there's no consistency.

Some of the comments on this thread were saying that 312mm are only being put on the diesel versions from the 1st January this year yet looking through carzone there is diesel versions being fitted with the larger 340mm brakes.

Ah OK, I wonder if earlier models with the 340mm set-up have been sat un-sold somewhere (at the factory, the docks, Skoda UK's airfield, dealers compound etc.)and have only recently been registered?