Is Yeti 1.4 tsi under powered?

Ben1812

I am thinking of trading in my 2011 1.8 petrol tsi Yeti Elegance for a new Yeti. I see that the top petrol engine is now scaled down to 1.4 litres. Just a bit concerned that it might feel comparatively underpowered. Would welcome some thoughts. Thanks

Edited by Ben1812
  • Like 1

I have a 1.4 L&K and I would describe it as "nippy". I second the suggestion that you should take one for a test drive and see if it's what you are looking for, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have a 1.4L&K and have certainly been pleasantly surprised by the power of the engine. I came to it from driving an old Saab 900 turbo and a 2.0l Mazda Mx-5 and I haven't particularly noted any lack of go, apart from if in too high a gear when pulling away where the lack of torque of the small engine shows.

The car cruises very comfortably at motorway speeds and has plenty in reserve to maintain consistent speed up long inclines and to speed up quickly if needed to get around a nuisance driver.

Definitely recommend a test drive. I tried the 1.2 and found the lack of power noticeable, which is one reason why I went for the 1.4.

Had a day with the 1.4 tsi l&k outdoor and i was very suprised how well it drove.

Quiet nippy enough to cope with everything i asked from it,have an extended test drive see if you like it.

Tip,treat your self buy the l&k.

New 1.4 TSIs are hard to come by for test drives so I suspect you will need to trust these reviews. That said, I had the same concerns as the OP and the dealer was able to give me a test drive in a Superb demonstrator with the same engine. My concerns were allayed - if it could pull a far heavier Superb as it did! My car arrives in a few weeks - can't wait.

The 1.4 is 10hp down on the 1.8 but I'm not sure how the torque compares. On paper it's only fractionally slower as its a bit lighter and of course it's cheaper to tax and far more economical.

I would ask the dealer if he has anything else with a 1.4 150bhp TSI that you can take for a spin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a day with the 1.4 tsi l&k outdoor and i was very suprised how well it drove.

Quiet nippy enough to cope with everything i asked from it,have an extended test drive see if you like it.

Tip,treat your self buy the l&k.

You have no choice in having the L&K if you want the 1.4 TSI ! :D

The linking of the L&K and the 1.4TSI engine with the increased profit margin that goes with it, is an indication of supply restraint issues I guess.

It's now THE engine choice it seems.

Can't believe how many helpful replies. Thank you so much. It's not easy to get test drives on petrol cars so I may have to settle on trying a 1.4 tsi in a different skoda car. I'll let you know how I get on.

The EA111 1.4tsi tugs my Superb II along really well including higher speed but sometimes hilly European autoroutes/autobahn. Economy pretty good but not quite as good as my old Superb 1.9pd 100 - but not far off (3.5 mpg worse on the same journeys/driving style). At motorway speeds it's got a real get up and go even though the 6th gear is pretty tall

Presume the new Yeti 1.4 is the  newer EA211 engine that's more powerful and more economical and the Yeti is a smaller car - win win

Edited by bigjohn

I have a 1.4L 92TSI and would not consider it underpowered. I think if you're considering racing people off the line at the lights often, then you're buying the wrong car.

My Yeti has now done a touch over 1000 km driving around in both start/stop suburban Melbourne peak hour traffic as well as highways (80km/h) and freeways (100-110km/h). I have found the power adequate to perform overtaking at both highway and freeway speeds, and tested for such during my initial test drive (I also test drove a 1.4L VW Tiguan an hour later on the same roads, which had a 6 gear DSG and seemed less smooth vs the same engined Yeti).

As others have said, you're best off getting a test drive somehow.

willl,

yes i see that is the 1.4 TSI Twincharger.  

& sorry, i had no idea they did a Twincharger with a 6 Speed DSG.

http://caradvice.com.au/269234/2014/volkswagen-tiguan-118tsi-dsg

(6 Speed with a 1.4 TSI Twincharger & 7 Speed with a 2.0 TSI )

Rather different.

?

Are they 6 Speed Wet Clutch DSG

where here the 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers get 7 Speed Dual Dry Clutch DQ200 ?

I can see where the 6 Speed with the lower output Twincharger could be rather rubbish.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Yes a failure rate of the 2009-2012 production engines of over 20%  and rising, even replacement engines have been replaced,

and less of the upgraded ones produced from 2012-2014, still failures though.  Now a Fix is Oil Spray Jets (Squirters) but that is just a Bandaid

& that was the 160-180ps Minimum ones in, Seat, Skoda, VW & Audis.

Never admitted by VW they just keep replacing Engines, now even out of Warranty.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

I have an Octavia 1.4Tsi (122hp), and its great....used to have a 2.0 diesel, and under "normal" driving you would be hard pushed to notice the difference in performance..BUT the Tsi is sooooooooo smooth and quiet, (keep thinking the engines stopped). I am averaging about 45 mpg...(have had 50/55 if you drive like a nun) 

I had heard that there are problems with the higher power engines?.

NB I am planning to change to a Yeti for my next car..but unsure as to which engine spec at the mo...

..1.8 petrol - reliability problems

..1.2 petrol - too small (caravan)

..any diesel - DPF problems (do low mileage)...

... is there any engine that there is not a problem with?

• Like 1

...NB I am planning to change to a Yeti for my next car..but unsure as to which engine spec at the mo...

..1.8 petrol - reliability problems

..1.2 petrol - too small (caravan)

..any diesel - DPF problems (do low mileage)...

... is there any engine that there is not a problem with?

Not sure if the jury is still out on EA288 warm up times for use for shorter journeys... but it might be OK. I understand the Nissan / Renault 1.5/1.6 diesels are also quicker to warm up.

To remedy such heating concerns with the EA288, engineers integrated the exhaust manifold into the engine head, as they did with the EA211 gas engine. The EA288 head has its own cooling circuit controlled with valves. When the engine is cold, the head circuit is the most active, which allows the engine coolant to heat up swiftly, making it possible to warm the cabin faster. This also helps the engine get up to operating temperature more quickly, thus improving fuel efficiency.