Over-eager start/stop?

Mine does the cut out before fully stopped, if I'm approaching a junction/roundabout, I simply pull the gear lever back into 'Sport mode' and the stop/start is overridden, also brings revs up and allows for a quick getaway :)

• Like 1

Mine does the cut out before fully stopped, if I'm approaching a junction/roundabout, I simply pull the gear lever back into 'Sport mode' and the stop/start is overridden, also brings revs up and allows for a quick getaway :)

Hired a few E class Merc's with Stop/Start.

Used to really wind me up while parallel parking, always felt the car lurch as it started back up.Not something you want in a big car like that in a tight space  :sweat:

Ours still has ss active in sport mode...... Noticed it today and even commented to the missus, is that normal?

When I said mine, I should have been clear in so far as VAG - DSG and Stop/Start.

I'm running a Golf but suffer the same very slow rolling engine S/S cut outs but find sport increases the revs and not had S/S activate in slow roll situations.

It is defo off in mine when sport is selected, as if I'm at lights with engine off S/S activated and want a quick get away pulling the lever back into Sport instantly re-starts the engine ready for the off.

Edited by Defenderben

I'd have thought it would be illegal for a set up like this as you don't have full control of the car, ie: no steering, no matter how briefly.

Whist yes, you loose the power steering and the brake servo, you still have control of the vehicle fully; it just requires more effort to turn the steering wheel or use the brakes. Much the same as if you were to suffer engine failure whilst moving, or driving a car without those systems in place.

With the start-stop on the O3, as soon as you try to turn the wheel or press the brake pedal enough, the start-stop disables itself and the engine restarts.

Ours still has ss active in sport mode...... Noticed it today and even commented to the missus, is that normal?

Yeah mine still runs SS in S mode too...

• Like 1

The other really simple option is to spend a nano second pressing the button by the gear lever on starting the car and it stays disabled until next full restart.

I do that if in really slow stop start queues and do not want to have engine revving in sport mode wearing the clutches.

Whist yes, you loose the power steering and the brake servo, you still have control of the vehicle fully; it just requires more effort to turn the steering wheel or use the brakes. Much the same as if you were to suffer engine failure whilst moving, or driving a car without those systems in place.

With the start-stop on the O3, as soon as you try to turn the wheel or press the brake pedal enough, the start-stop disables itself and the engine restarts.

It requires a lot of effort to turn the wheel with no assistance & I'm no weakling.

I just feel that all the time the car is moving the engine should be running.

Fortunately I've got an early model so don't have this problem.

On my manual, if I put the gear lever into neutral and coast to a stop with my foot off the clutch, the engine will cut out while the car is still rolling.  If I leave my foot on the clutch the engine does not cut out.  My last car, a VW, only cut out if the car had come to a complete standstill.  Otherwise, the systems are identical - let the car roll in neutral or press the clutch and the engine will start again.

It is the ironic thing about all this, probably in an effort to get a few extra % out of their emissions figures they have tweaked it to make it unusable to a lot of people. 

So where I would have been happy to use it as advertised a lot of the time, I now switch it off every time I remember. Bit of an own goal I feel

• Like 1

DSG:

• light pressure on brake pedal: no S&S
  • hard pressure: S&S enabled

Very easy to control

What model year is your car? That is the way it worked on a MY13 and a MY15 I drove but not on two MY16 I have driven. Light pressure (to not get SS) you will not stop unless you are very uphill.

From my experience driving MY15 and MY16 back to back there is a big difference in the way they behave

• Love it! 1

What model year is your car? That is the way it worked on a MY13 and a MY15 I drove but not on two MY16 I have driven. Light pressure (to not get SS) you will not stop unless you are very uphill.

From my experience driving MY15 and MY16 back to back there is a big difference in the way they behave

Mine is MY15ish (it might be MY14)

DSG:

Very easy to control

That works fine to re-engage the SS or to manage at a junction once stopped - my issue is as first posted, regardless of pressure, it sometimes decides to cut whilst I still have some tiny amount of forward momentum and have not come to a dead stop yet. This is annoying and really too early for it to be stopping the engine. If I lift on the brake, it does kick in pretty smartest, but it shouldn't have stopped in the first place!

Edited by Item
  • Like 1

Mine is MY15ish (it might be MY14)

Which is why it works like you say below for you but not others

DSG:

Very easy to control

Just don't try it in a MY16! if you brake light enough to keep the engine running you will likely hit the car in front!

Nope! Turn the steering wheel - it's a bit heavy! Engine does not restart!

Nope! Turn the steering wheel - it's a bit heavy! Engine does not restart!

On mine if you attempt to turn the wheel with a reasonable amount of force the engine restarts. You can't just tickle it mind you, you've got to do it fairly hard, enough to actually begin to turn the wheels without the assist.

On mine if you attempt to turn the wheel with a reasonable amount of force the engine restarts. You can't just tickle it mind you, you've got to do it fairly hard, enough to actually begin to turn the wheels without the assist.

I actually noticed this for the first time this morning in the daily traffic grind...it does work, but like you say, you need to give it a bit of welly.

This seems to be a MY16 thing. My MY15 with DSG never shuts the engine before the car has completely stopped.

+1

Did an 80 mile run a day or so ago, did not alter any settings, aircon, wipers etc. The S/S only functioned about 2 miles from home but did not function once in the previous 78 miles!! (and it had plenty of chances). Not what I'd call 'Over-Eager!!'

What annoys me more is when you have the footbrake on then apply the handbrake and release the footbrake. The engine thinks it's time to go and tries to move off with the handbrake on, you feel the attempt as the revs drop as load increases and the car tries to pull away, only to discover it cannot so backs off, my passengers think it's me, but it aint' me!!

Edited by ajw1100

+1

Did an 80 mile run a day or so ago, did not alter any settings, aircon, wipers etc. The S/S only functioned about 2 miles from home but did not function once in the previous 78 miles!! (and it had plenty of chances). Not what I'd call 'Over-Eager!!'

What annoys me more is when you have the footbrake on then apply the handbrake and release the footbrake. The engine thinks it's time to go and tries to move off with the handbrake on, you feel the attempt as the revs drop as load increases and the car tries to pull away, only to discover it cannot so backs off, my passengers think it's me, but it aint' me!!

Don't do that with the DSG!! Put it in neutral or park if you want to apply the handbrake

+1

Save yourself the stress and just leave it in "D" and let the s/s do its thing

Don't do that with the DSG!! Put it in neutral or park if you want to apply the handbrake

:( Ohps, didn't realise that!!

So, for plan 'A' its;

1. Stop with foot brake.

2. Apply handbrake.

3. Put DSG in N or P. (P if S/S has kicked in)

4. Release foot brake.

5. Apply foot brake.

6. Put DSG in D

7. Release handbrake.

8. Release foot brake.

9. Apply throttle.

:whew:

Or Plan 'B'

Apply/release foot brake as required and:

Save yourself the stress and just leave it in "D" and let the s/s do its thing

;):thumbup::rock:

It is the ironic thing about all this, probably in an effort to get a few extra % out of their emissions figures they have tweaked it to make it unusable to a lot of people.

So where I would have been happy to use it as advertised a lot of the time, I now switch it off every time I remember. Bit of an own goal I feel

Totally agree and I see s/s as another sales gimmick that really does not have real world use. But gimmicks sell cars and make the money. Just look at keyless entry and start buttons for example.