Talk to me about the Citigo.

DampDog

Well I made time to go and have a look at a Seat Mii this morning, specifically a Mii Mango. Have to say I really liked it, it was extremely well specced for a little car with cruise control, park assist, half leather seats, all the electric bit's and bobs that you could possibly need. Even had a DAB radio. Finished in an off white, they call it "Nude" Pre-reg with tiny miles.

Only one major criticism... The blinkin thing was sold, just missed it, sold Saturday afternoon. Otherwise I would have bought it, just what I was looking for, little car with enough nice bits to keep me happy. A tad on the girly side, but I really quite liked it.. Myabe it was calling to my inner hairdresser... :D  :D  :D

Now the search begins...

Had my SE model about 18 months now, no issues. I just needed something to get to work and back, sits in a car park all day, does everything I need for cheap running costs, no tax etc. Been on a few longer runs andafter a couple of hours you know about it but they're not built for Motorway cruising. Plus side is well above 60mpg (sometimes 70) on good runs ! Can't knock it.

• Administrators

If you are looking at a new purchase, Seat or Skoda, drop me a pm, I'll get you a good price ;) UK dealer new car etc.

I bought mine; a 75ps green, 2nd hand with 3k on it and it's been fine for three years now. Quite peppy relatively speaking and all except open A/B road overtaking, fine for going from A to B with minimal fuss and cost. It cost less than my superb depreciated in a year :) winner.

If you are looking at a new purchase, Seat or Skoda, drop me a pm, I'll get you a good price ;) UK dealer new car etc.

Cheers for the offer, but not really in a position to go-new this time round. Probably going to be looking for pre-reg or ex-demo with less than 5K on it.

Sorry for taking a little while to reply, not seeing notifications for some reason. I'll check what settings I've clicked...

Edited by DampDog

Cheers for the offer, but not really in a position to go-new this time round. Probably going to be looking for pre-reg or ex-demo with less than 5K on it.

Sorry for taking a little while to reply, not seeing notifications for some reason. I'll check what settings I've clicked...

As there are lots of Citigo/Up!/Mii in SE spec or better with delivery mileage for under £7k, that does seem like a sensible option.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Picked up my (used) Citigo on Thursday, so limited mileage so far.  SE Greentech edition.  It is fun, agile and responsive to drive, not noticeably underpowered (at least for my style of driving!).  Seat is a little tight, but I have a grumbly hip.  Loads of cabin space; like driving a bigger car from which someone has nicked the bonnet.  No road tax, low insurance and good fuel economy must be a consideration and leaves enough in the bank to hire a car for family holidays.  First motorway journey coming up today.  So far I would thoroughly recommend it.

• Like 2

Thank all for the continued feedback. (keep it coming)

From what I've seen there is little to call between the CitiGo & the Mii. The Up really isn't in the race purely on price, (simply sticking a fancy steering wheel on doesn't really fool anyone does it?) VW have milked the customer base dry imo.

Anyway there are some deals to be had on the Mii at the moment, Mango has a offer running that caught my eye of £2750 of rrp if you go via the PCP route.  So while it initially looks a tad on the expensive side with that sort of discount looks much better. The offer is also running on other models I think. Other than that particular version looking a little "girly" the spec really is very good compared to almost all the competition. I'd still like to find a ex-demo or pre-reg car but as yet I've found nothing locally that has decent spec. Finding a 75ps with sunroof is like trying to find unicorn droppings 

I've not had chance to hit the Skoda garages/showrooms as yet and start digging for deals. I'd also like to get a longer drive in one just to see how it holds up on faster 'A' roads and motorways.

Edited by DampDog

For me the main difference between the Up! and the citigi/mii is that the Up! has a shiny dash in the SE models upwards and DAB radio. i don't like the shiny dash, but I do like DAB and wouldn't be without it on my Yeti

There are a shedload of pre reg cars, which I suspect was the VW group offsetting the impact of the emissions stuff. These tend to be fairly basic spec 60bhp S/SE (Take/Move) models. There are also a small number of better spec demo models out there. Very few 75bhp models though, especially with sunroof (there are 4 manual ones on Autotrader at the moment)

The dealers are discounting the pre reg now to shift them which is skewing both the new and used market. As a potential Citigo buyer this is great news, but as an owner it's a right pain.

Recently I've seen a pre-reg Elegance for £6,500, and am currently in discussions re a 2k mile SE at £5,500. My local VW dealer (inchcape) have a 7-mile Move Up (SE equivalent) for £7k, however the one I'd like that they have is a 2k-mile Move Up with cruise, all the traction control stuff, laser collision avoidance etc but that's up at £8k - but why would I pay £8k for a "used" Move Up when their own group has a "new" Move Up for £7k?

Having popped into the Seat dealer today I've been educated a little further and discovered the mii also has the shiny dash.

The inside of the Mango is a lovely place to be with the alcantara and looks great in the black (not convinced by the car in harvest semen or whatever they call the colour that most of the Mangos are painted)

For me the main difference between the Up! and the citigi/mii is that the Up! has a shiny dash in the SE models upwards and DAB radio. i don't like the shiny dash, but I do like DAB and wouldn't be without it on my Yeti

There are a shedload of pre reg cars, which I suspect was the VW group offsetting the impact of the emissions stuff. These tend to be fairly basic spec 60bhp S/SE (Take/Move) models. There are also a small number of better spec demo models out there. Very few 75bhp models though, especially with sunroof (there are 4 manual ones on Autotrader at the moment)

The dealers are discounting the pre reg now to shift them which is skewing both the new and used market. As a potential Citigo buyer this is great news, but as an owner it's a right pain.

Recently I've seen a pre-reg Elegance for £6,500, and am currently in discussions re a 2k mile SE at £5,500. My local VW dealer (inchcape) have a 7-mile Move Up (SE equivalent) for £7k, however the one I'd like that they have is a 2k-mile Move Up with cruise, all the traction control stuff, laser collision avoidance etc but that's up at £8k - but why would I pay £8k for a "used" Move Up when their own group has a "new" Move Up for £7k?

I popped into my local Seat dealer at the beginning of March and they had shed loads of New Mii Sports for sale. They were knocking almost 3k off the asking price. Odd though as it wasn't advertised anywhere even though the 3 dealers I visited were all running the same deals on the quiet. At the time I didn't think about it too much but put it down to that model being replaced by the FR. Yet I haven't seen an "FR" anywhere, even in the showrooms, so don'r really understand what's been going on. I should have bought a Sport then but had an impending hospital stay so postponed buying.

The Mii has the FR model,looks great with the 16 inch alloys but despite being on sale from late last year have yet to see one for sale on Auto Trader.

Same here not seen a single FR anywhere, including in the showrooms.

Having popped into the Seat dealer today I've been educated a little further and discovered the mii also has the shiny dash.

The inside of the Mango is a lovely place to be with the alcantara and looks great in the black (not convinced by the car in harvest semen or whatever they call the colour that most of the Mangos are painted)

The specs on the Mii at first glance appear to be better than the CityGo across the board, shiny dash a'la Up! features an many of the cars now. I know what you mean about the colour, I think it's called nude, but looks very much like "old English white" like you used to see on old MG's. Mango's have a chrome side accent and they don't look bad in that color. And I'm not really a fan of white cars.

Edited by DampDog

The Monte Carlo has also got the shiny dash, the reason we got it:-). We looked at a vw up first and my wife liked the shiny dash but I wanted a Skoda having had Skoda's for past 12 years or so. So I got what I wanted and she got what she wanted....tell a lie I wanted the elegance model.

Edited by bradfordfabia

I've discovered most of what I thought I knew is rubbish. The missus agreed with me regarding the colour of the Mii Mango though.

I've discovered most of what I thought I knew is rubbish. The missus agreed with me regarding the colour of the Mii Mango though.

Why what did you think you knew and what have you learned? I'm trying to get to grips with the specs (Up!/Mii/CitiGo) Skoda seem exceptionally stingy with options. I know they are cheap and cheerful city-cars but I would have thought electric door mirrors would be a given on modern vehicles. It's 2016 not 1976.

Working out exactly what options come on the various Mii trim levels is tricky because the brochures are a bit pish. Skoda seem to think pretty much everything is an extra until you get the the elegance trim level. To my eye, the little Seat's look best value for money, with slightly better specs than the CitiGo. No idea what the dealers are like, but have no experience with Skoda either.

If the rain holds off may have another look today.

Having sold my 3 door elegance with every option on it

I am now hunting for a 5 door elegance circa 6k for my dad thought I'd treat him to one

Can't seem to work out what the equivalent spec in a seat would be

Just missed a lovely one on autotrader buy the majority seem to be SE spec

I am now hunting for a 5 door elegance circa 6k for my dad thought I'd treat him to one

Just missed a lovely one on autotrader buy the majority seem to be SE spec

I'd say the Mango trim level would be about equivalent to the Elegance. Only obvious drawback is they only come in black and off white. I have to say that all the manufacturers appear to be playing the lets add in some special trim levels that last the season then disappear just to make it more confusing that it need be. 

Edited by DampDog

Working out exactly what options come on the various Mii trim levels is tricky because the brochures are a bit pish. Skoda seem to think pretty much everything is an extra until you get the the elegance trim level. To my eye, the little Seat's look best value for money, with slightly better specs than the CitiGo. No idea what the dealers are like, but have no experience with Skoda either.

I had a quick play with the configurators and came to the conclusion that you typically get what you pay for. The Miis are generally better specced but tend to be more expensive. The Mii and Up! Have lots of "editions" with funky designer tat and the Citigo seems to be more staid and appealing to old farts like me. If in car entertainment is your thing then the SEAT sound system is a bit of a bargain and seems to be unique to the Mii. I do regret not speccing the equivalent on our Leon two years ago.

Downside with the Mii is that good SEAT dealers are few and far between. After trying three different dealers I settled on the last one as being the only one that could perform basic sales and service operations with any degree of competence. The dealership in question only has one SEAT franchise and it will probably come as no surprise to learn that the rest of their franchises are Skoda. SEAT UK are disappointing too in my experience. The cars are great though.

Edited by ronime

There isn't a direct like for like equivalent, but Sport is the closest

You get the front fog lights, PID that you get on the Elegance but you don't have heated seats (always an option on Seats). You do however get slightly bigger alloys, tinted windows and 6 speakers instead of 2. 

Slightly lower down the range is either the iTech or Toca, or slightly higher is the Mango

The Mii and Up! Have lots of "editions" with funky designer tat and the Citigo seems to be more staid and appealing to old farts like me.

I have to agree. All the "design student gone mad" bits are generally lost on me. Not a fan of the shiny dash at all, textured one most of the Skoda's appear to have suits my taste. So long as it has height adjustable seats and electric door mirrors that's most of my boxes ticked. That said I quite fancy a sunroof, but they are thin on the ground on second-hand cars and a £700 option new. Covering a car in "boy-racer decals" doesn't hit the spot for me either.

If electric door mirrors are essential then any Citigo Elegance, Mii Sport or High Up will be fine but only the Elegance will have the non-shiny dash (until Autumn 2015, now called SEL and with grey, black or white shiny dash, which is now optional on SE). Only S/Take Up models miss out on height adjustable seats. If you look for a Citigo SE or Take Up with foglights, these are always bundled with electric mirrors and all Skoda SE come with textured dash but only the blue seat/grey dash Move Up. SEAT Mii SE models always come with electric mirrors but are more expensive (new) than a Citigo SE and always come with a white shiny dash. With Mii Toca/Tech 'special editions', the early Toca models had PID and elecrtic mirrors but the later Tech ones miss out on electric mirrors and both come with the grey shiny dash, like the Mango. The Citigo Sport/Monte is similar but moving to a shiny black dash on the Monte. Only Citigo Elegance models have heated seats as standard but extra speakers are always optional on SE and Elegance Citigos (including Black models based on SE trim) - look for the little tweeters at the bottom of the front pillars and they will have a speaker behind the grill in the rear too. SEAT offer an optional Sound system with subwoofer like the Groove Up but always fit the extra speakers and airbag cut-off unless you go for the S trim. In short, buy a Skoda Citigo SE with fog lights or Move UP with blue seats and fog lights or any Elegance to get electric mirrors and a textured dash. But finding one with the optional sunroof will be tricky.

Edited by fabandy
  • Like 1

Yes, the fog lights makes them easier to spot in pics, if you are looking for electric mirrors. Good luck! PS I was looking for cruise control but you can always look out for parking sensors in the pics or on the Skoda used car search instead, as they come in a bundle but it doesn't work if they are after-market ones!

Edited by fabandy

Popped into the local Skoda dealers this morning, used CitiGo's were very thin on the ground. I got chance for a brief chat but he also mentioned the Elegance has now become the SE-L. Another new vehicle is going to be out of my reach anyway at the moment unless they have some deals on stock they need to shift. (only offer they running currently is a £500 deposit contribution) Can't really find anything on Skoda's own used vehicles stock that catches my eye. Good shout on looking for the front fog-lights I will keep that in-mind.