1 month in...loving it, except for the damn rattles!

Something is rattling above my head near the sunglasses storage box, but no sunglasses inside.

Had this one too. Never found it then it disappeared. Had the dash/window click and creak too that healed itself too. Drivers door card can click and creak too and appears to be fixed in place with blutac.

Something under bonnet rattles too when engine cold (engine maybe as it is a diesel).

So after 8000 miles parts appear to be coming loose. Dread to think how it will be after 30 or 40k.

I have a couple of rattles in a new Scout (B Pillar Driver's side -sounds like a loose wire, and dull rattle on bumpy roads in tailgate area) I am hoping the dealer will be able to fix them.

I must admit to being a bit disappointed but this will not continue if they are fixed.

Any ideas re tailgate area rattle appreciated

I have a couple of rattles in a new Scout (B Pillar Driver's side -sounds like a loose wire, and dull rattle on bumpy roads in tailgate area) I am hoping the dealer will be able to fix them.

I must admit to being a bit disappointed but this will not continue if they are fixed.

got the rattle in the tailgate area or somewhere around there....

cant figure out what's making the rattle,been looking at the shocks and the plastic panels under the car but can't see or feel anything odd..

i only hear it when driving on bumpy roads...

if you take it to the dealer,make sure you post anything they find. i have a 5 hour drive to get to the dealer so i wont go there until the car is being serviced in the fall.

Edited by bytterga
  • Like 1

So as above, the dealer fixing the unsecured C pillar sorted the plastic buzzing/rattle for me. I think the remaining noise is the parcel shelf which is always going to make some noise when pulled over. I will get some rattle tape to line between the sheet and the boot edge and see if that helps.

Have you tried:

1) Taking the parcel shelf out

2) fastening all the seatbelts

and seeing if that helps narrow it down?

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions. I have taken out the parcel shelf and the spare tyre but the rattle still persists. Your idea re the seatbelts is worth a try.

I am going to ask someone to drive the car and I will sit in the boot area - maybe this will help pin it down before I refer the problem to the dealer

Thanks for the suggestions. I have taken out the parcel shelf and the spare tyre but the rattle still persists. Your idea re the seatbelts is worth a try.

I am going to ask someone to drive the car and I will sit in the boot area - maybe this will help pin it down before I refer the problem to the dealer

Might also be related to the seats, catches or surrounds - when you do your test, could be worth:

1) Folding them all down and see if the rattle persists

2) Removing the rear headrests

3) Opening the ski slot and/or re-securing

4) Checking the catches on all the above to see if there is any play/vibration

5) Check your rear number plate isn't moving/vibrating (I had this on my old Forester)

6) Check the rear brake light housing is secure against the boot lid

The dealer said they had to remove the rear seats (! Maybe just the bolster?! ) to fix my trim issue - perhaps in doing that they secured something else as well.

Edited by Item

Mine developed a buzzing sound at around 2000rpm it sounded like it was in the door or the B pillar.  I've done 36,000km and it's the first annoying rattle.  I booked it into the dealer but today decided to investigate it myself as I was sick of it.  Took off the large plastic cover under drivers side of car and noticed that the plastic fuel lines were sitting loose inside the channel that they run through.  I jammed some small rags up between the plastic pipes through all the small holes in the channel to insulate them from the car body.  Problem solved but will leave it a few days before cancelling the booking with the dealer.

Mine developed a buzzing sound at around 2000rpm it sounded like it was in the door or the B pillar.  I've done 36,000km and it's the first annoying rattle.  I booked it into the dealer but today decided to investigate it myself as I was sick of it.  Took off the large plastic cover under drivers side of car and noticed that the plastic fuel lines were sitting loose inside the channel that they run through.  I jammed some small rags up between the plastic pipes through all the small holes in the channel to insulate them from the car body.  Problem solved but will leave it a few days before cancelling the booking with the dealer.

You removed big dark panel beneath the seat belt? How do you do that?

Not the bottom B pillar plastic part inside the car. Had to jack the car up, get underneath and remove that large plastic cover which is outside of the car.

I discovered last week when temperatures were notably higher the car creaked and clicked. This week the car has been notably quiter as temperatures have dropped a little.

Personally have not got enough hours in my life to troubleshoot niggling rattles.

Having said this I tend to rack up car issues/problems then visit the dealer so car is due in and one issue is a rattling drivers door. Sounds like it's falling apart inside at times.

Oh well...dealer visit # 10

got the rattle in the tailgate area or somewhere around there....

cant figure out what's making the rattle,been looking at the shocks and the plastic panels under the car but can't see or feel anything odd..

i only hear it when driving on bumpy roads...

if you take it to the dealer,make sure you post anything they find. i have a 5 hour drive to get to the dealer so i wont go there until the car is being serviced in the fall.

got an email from the dealer today after explaining that the sound comes from the suspension or somewhere around that area:

This is a known problem that the factory is working to find a solution to, we have been told to await with repairs until they have a solution to the problem.

How long this will take is unknown.

well, not anything about what is causing the rattle, just that something is wrong and needs to be repaired...

got an email from the dealer today after explaining that the sound comes from the suspension or somewhere around that area:

This is a known problem that the factory is working to find a solution to, we have been told to await with repairs until they have a solution to the problem.

How long this will take is unknown.

well, not anything about what is causing the rattle, just that something is wrong and needs to be repaired...

Suspension rattle (or around that area). That's confidence inspiring and could affect all the octavias? Enjoy driving it around!

Maybe it's something simple as a loose bolt holding the axle onto the car....

Suspension rattle (or around that area). That's confidence inspiring and could affect all the octavias? Enjoy driving it around!

Maybe it's something simple as a loose bolt holding the axle onto the car....

hehe.. driving very slow just in case the car is falling apart....

at least i got confirmed that it is a known issue....

wrote back asking  if he could be more precise about the parts being faulty

Edited by bytterga

hehe.. driving very slow just in case the car is falling apart....

at least i got confirmed that it is a known issue....

wrote back asking if he could be more precise about the parts being faulty

Put your faith in the engineering excellence of skoda.

Every day drive is a gamble..lol..what will break/fall off or rattle loose today! ;-)

Rattles seem to be a persistant problem across the VAG group which you dont expect. I have a Polo and since new there has been a rattle from the B pillar on the drivers side. And now the door card has started in sympathy. It has been checked but of course, you take stuff like trim apart and it never goes backs the same. I have tried wax and silicone spray around the offending area with no joy.

I test drove a Golf recently and that had a rattly dash when I drove over an adverse camber on a level crossing.

So frustrating. Was thinking about an Octavia next too.

Edited by threadbear

OMG people...get a french car (big one, with top of the range equipment) and tell me again that VAG / Skoda rattles :dull:

Bytterga problem does not sound like a meagre trim rattle though. Sounds a little more serious and if skoda are aware it's a known issue it certainly is not the fabled b pillar rattle

Follow up from my May 15th posting

Dealer appears to have fixed rattles...

Rattle in Tailgate area was due to lower rear seat mounting (LH seat pivot to inner guard was loose) -fixed by dealer tech team

Rattle in B pillar was due to seat belt height adjustment slide being distorted -fixed by dealer tech team

Rattle in sunglasses holder area fixed by retensioning retaining clips and return springs

Enjoying my Skoda Octavia Scout in the winter environment

Follow up from my May 15th posting

Dealer appears to have fixed rattles...

Rattle in Tailgate area was due to lower rear seat mounting (LH seat pivot to inner guard was loose) -fixed by dealer tech team

Rattle in B pillar was due to seat belt height adjustment slide being distorted -fixed by dealer tech team

Rattle in sunglasses holder area fixed by retensioning retaining clips and return springs

Enjoying my Skoda Octavia Scout in the winter environment

Very interesting information. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Rattlewatch update!

So I think I may have fixed one of my annoying rattle/buzzes coming from a vague "rear direction" when riding course tarmac...

Turned out to be the rear left and centre passenger seatbelt clips knocking together! They share a slot in the rear seats and touch...there is no padding or anything there and at certain frequencies they would either tick or buzz together.

One felt pad later and voilà!

Watch this space for more updates...

(I do love my car really :D  )

• Like 1