New car tyre pressure

Been getting the odd funny ear pressure issue with the car (got it new last month).

Took it to the garage for them to adjust the boot slightly (I'm hoping loosening it a bit will help) but first they checked the tyre pressures.

Supposed to be 32psi on my 16" wheels. They were all 50psi!

They've not modified the boot yet, we shall wait and see what difference this makes.

50!?!?!

If you're using the same dealer you bought the car from, doesn't say much about their PDI procedures.

Makes you wonder what else they've missed.

Yes Ken, so a failure to fully carry out the PDI check? Makes me worry what else they didn't bother doing :(

I've had it 4 weeks and hadn't physically checked the pressures myself.

Only driven it half a mile since they fixed their mistake, I'm expecting the TPMS warnings might go off on my way home tonight - or does it only detect differences in rotation between current tyres?

It is sad just how many risk their lives and others driving new cars, hire cars used cars not knowing the tyre pressures.

Even a perfectly PDI'd vehicle should then have the driver set the Tyre Pressures them shelves or at least ask what they are at.

Professionals or Fitters might do the job well or badly, 

drivers are responsible for their vehicle though.

Best check the Wheel Nut / Bolt tightness as well, you never know if they did.

Or if you could change a wheel at the roadside.

50psi. Thank whoever had the car prior to you for that one.

Surely the handling and indeed the safety of the car may have compromised as a consequence of over inflated tyres.

This appears to happen frequently from just whats read on this forum. Do, whoever inflates the tyres whether at factory or at PDI point do not care about owner safety.

Yes before someone interjects it is the responsibility of the owner for the cars upkeep but when taking receipt of a new car one puts trust into the dealer who hands it over in a safe and satisfactory condition. Over inflated tyres, transit blocks left in, I am surprised they remember to put oil in the engines

Too often they put too much oil in because the Fitter or Technician does not check Cold and see it is high, and does not check at operating temperature, 

they run the engine and it starts to warm, and they dip and put more in.

A new owner should Dip the Oil Cold, and then check as the manual says, 

that is the only way you know what was handed over to you.

I hope the OP in this thread raises the Type Pressure issue with the Dealer Principal, 

because who ever did the PDI is a danger, and a liability to the Employers.

• Like 1

They are inflated that high for transit and storage.

But yes thats a sloppy PDi not to spot that.

Might want it done again, check for suspension transit blocks etc.

But drivers must get into the habit of checking their cars again. I know its old fashioned, but it saves lives and money.

I always check it after a service also, as caps often get left off etc.

Sales Executives that do hand overs and the Principal Dealer really do need made aware of sloppy PDI's when new owners become aware of issues.

Sales Staff accept the Technicians, fitters or casual and sometimes untrained and qualified employees are doing their job correctly.

All have a corporate responsibility of safety to Customers and the General public.

This is the business they are in, 5,6 sometimes 7 days a week, it is not rocket science.

and any talk of tight margins, no mark ups, time restraints is just nonsense.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I'm debating whether to cause a stink at the dealer - top of my priority list is I want the air pressure issues sorted. I doubt the tyre pressure changes will resolve it, so I need them to be on-side to help sort it out - it's hard to even prove there is a problem for them to fix.

As a side note - the master technician or whatever he was called had no idea what I was talking about when I brought up pressure build up issues (me knowing full well about the 30+ page thread on it here). Said he thinks he remember once a long time ago of there being a hatch with the issue that needed the boot stops replaced to fix the issue. So it appears I have a dealer that will deny any knowledge of anything ever being a problem with booming/pressure issues.

Asking them to redo the PDI is a neat idea.

Fabias have a nice flap at the rear of the car that allows the release of pressure and stops the vehicle being sealed,

Sadly often technicians are not aware these are  responsible for the noise that customers complain of and can not find the source of.

The flaps get stuck down to resolve that.

Then there is the H20 in the Spare tyre well, a mystery where from washer fluid, door seal etc.

(No it comes in the rear flap that is hidden by the bumper and lets water in.)

You would think Trained Technicians & Service Desk Employees and Managers that work on the same cars would see all faults come time and remember what was the cause and the solution, 

and sometimes read the TPI's.

You seem to hear in equal measures,

'They all do that'.   'Never seen that before'   Do not listen to forums (Briskoda),

We are contacting the Factory, HQ, Derren Brown.

If the Dealerships do not actually report reported faults then the faults stay as faults until 

the Model is discontinued and the replacement has the same faults built in.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK in your dreams.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I reckon Skoda are fully aware of the noise/pressure issue on the Octavia.

Some of it is caused by the bad roads in the UK.

Their attitude seems to be deny it, as they are all like that guv, its just a feature of the car.

Some customers notice it, some dont.

Edited by glosrich

?

What is the issue with bad roads in the UK that causes the issue.

Never more than 4,000 foot above sea level.

There are some pretty bad roads in many other World Regions that the Octavia is sold in?

Yep you're correct, I expect there is a noise issue there also. Just that the UK driver probably has more exposure to different cars than some regions, so expects better quality.

For example in France, Germany and Czech Republic, the roads a generally a lot smoother. They don't have as many concrete sections of motorway or penny pinching tar and stones resurfacing as the UK has.

• Like 1

Oh well,

on the other side mines were at barely 1.5bar, so I blamed the dealer.

And this surely not because of silky smooth national roads!

Edited by Genoa1893

Been getting the odd funny ear pressure issue with the car (got it new last month).

Took it to the garage for them to adjust the boot slightly (I'm hoping loosening it a bit will help) but first they checked the tyre pressures.

Supposed to be 32psi on my 16" wheels. They were all 50psi!

They've not modified the boot yet, we shall wait and see what difference this makes.

50!?!?!

Matt, you should read this thread regarding pressurisation of the cabin on the Octavia.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294540-low-frequency-boom-in-cabin/page-1

Bit of a long one but basically there are many users who have issues with pressure in the cabin causing discomfort or a booming noise heard in the ears.

I really hope that reducing the tyre pressures fixes your issue as there are many who are not able to cure their discomfort.

Otherwise you should make sure your dealer takes this issue seriously.

There is currently no official acceptance from Skoda that this is a real issue & current no "definative" cause or solution.

My car doesn't have the issue but if you lower a window when travelling at speed you can instantly feel the pressure problem.

I've never experienced this in any other car before.

When I have a rental car in the US, I always take my trusty tyre pressure gauge with me. (SWMBO things I'm daft). Because I can be travelling hundreds of miles, I check them cold at the first opportunity, compare with the handbook in the car, and they are NEVER right.

But to think they can be wrong on a new car straight from a dealer is frightening.