Skoda fabia 1.4 intermittent starting

I'm having an intermittent issue where my fabia 04 won't start, it almost catches on but then just splutters out. Happened last night, and no luck after about 10 attempts.

Funny thing is the next day it starts first time!

Took it to my mechanic, and he just scratched his head, he even checked for fault codes, but none. Any ideas? Perhaps starter motor? Dodgy battery?

Check contacts on battery and starter engine. Earth-contact as well. Just follow all the thick cords..

check also the cord between engine an chassis, if it won't work with repair battery cords.

If the engine is cranking fine, I'm thinking of a clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. 

Bad contact on the pump or the pump, seem to match. The filter normally get less power, but not start problems or problems on low rpm.

Bad contact on the pump or the pump, seem to match. The filter normally get less power, but not start problems or problems on low rpm.

It seems to not start immediatly after its been driven. Cold starts are usually ok

It seems to not start immediatly after its been driven. Cold starts are usually ok

Sounds like the ECT sensor may be playing up, cheap and easy to replace so I'd start there.

I'm trying to help but nothings happening.

I'm trying to help but nothings happening.

Thanks I have ordered a new one to try, but my starter motor is making a sort of grinding noise which is making me suspicious of something else

Thanks I have ordered a new one to try, but my starter motor is making a sort of grinding noise which is making me suspicious of something else

Both mine make that noise and have done for years, it's nothing to worry about.

Could you upload a clip ? 

OP- CAR IS 1.4 ,Fuel is ?? Petrol ,I'd suggest some form of fuel problem. TDI, I'd look at EGR (also known to AA folks as fuel shut off valve ) staying shut.

OP- CAR IS 1.4 ,Fuel is ?? Petrol ,I'd suggest some form of fuel problem. TDI, I'd look at EGR (also known to AA folks as fuel shut off valve ) staying shut.

EGR has no ability to shut off fuel. AA man was confused. There's an air shut-off valve associated with the EGR (on diesels), usually known as anti-shudder valve. Nowt to do with fuel though.

Edited by Wino

Strange that!  I have one in the glove box waiting for warmer weather was the original plan, though in my case it is getting changed due to "bad" values being logged by the engine ECU intermittently, so not quite the urgency your one has!

Had this problem only on hot weather after exposed to the sun for a long time, it was the N80 valve.

It took years to figure out what it was :S

Edited by dm222