Skoda Fabia Immobiliser Issue - Solution

Thought I'd share a solution to what seems to be a relatively common problem with Mk1 Fabias, the immobiliser malfunctioning and stopping the engine from starting.

Bit of background: bought a (well) used '02 Fabia last summer with 80k on the clock. Had a few issues, but nothing too major. From time to time I'd try and start the car, and the immobiliser would cut in after about 2 seconds after the ignition was on, cutting out the engine and showing a flashing immobiliser sign on the dash. A bit annoying, but after some perseverance -- read: trying both keys and a lot of steering column wiggling -- the car would start.

This hadn't happened for a while, but it came back earlier this week with vengeance. This time, it simply wouldn't start no matter which key or how much I moved the steering column. Scoured the forums and the internet, not much luck. Seemed the only avenues left were trying any of the following, which people had reported varying degrees of success (apologies if my terminology isn't spot on): new keys, new barrel coil, checking the wiring loom from the ignition to the ECU, replacing the entire ECU. All of which were expensive solutions, ranging from £100-£400, and to do them all would have meant around £600 -- not worth it really with a car of it's age. Also noticed a little manual for an immobiliser disabler (which wasn't in the car anymore) so presumably the previous owners had suffered the same issue.

Solution: came across another forum where someone mentioned they'd had a similar thing and the AA had suggested putting the key in the ignition, turning it as if to start, letting the immobiliser cut it out, then leaving the key in for 30 minutes. Bit sceptical, but I figured worth a go. I followed the instructions, locked the car manually with my spare key, came 30 minutes later and the immobiliser light had switched off. To my pleasant surprise, it had worked. 

This was earlier today, gave it a quick drive, started and stopped the engine several times since and it all seems fine. Whether this persists and has fixed it permanently or if it's going to be a recurrent problem, time will tell, but it's certainly saved me a trip to the scrapyard at least.

Hopefully this will help some people who're experiencing the same thing, I know how aggravating it is.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this :) 

Wonder if this will work for my main key which is simply refused and cuts out with the flashing light.

I'll keep you updated  :D

Probably wants re programming.

I have already authored a thread on the intermittent wiring issue with the immobiliser issues.

Probably wants re programming.

I have already authored a thread on the intermittent wiring issue with the immobiliser issues.

Tech1e when you have the time, send me a message with the link because I can't find it. Thanks

Edited by ThomasItis

Thanks for this :)

Wonder if this will work for my main key which is simply refused and cuts out with the flashing light.

I'll keep you updated  :D

Interestingly one of my keys did the same -- I'd given up on it. Both keys have worked since...

If you are prepared to manage without an immobiliser you might want to look at:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221251373093?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Never tried them myself but for the price might be a short-term fix for someone.

This didnt work for my Immo issue.

How ever, you can get someone in the know to remove the one chip (i think) on the immo circuit board and it deletes the immo. You can buy these ECUs on ebay or ask on here who can do this, or if your handy research it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

OH my word! I’ve spent  the last 3 years disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, have had 4 keys programmed, countless AA  callouts, have created new swear words, have shed many tears and have suffered much derision over my Skoda immobiliser problem and this is the first thing that’s worked!!! Not sure how long it will work for but I’ve used this hack for the past week and so far so good 👍🏻. Odd question: does anyone else find the problem gets worse when the car is left in the sun and gets hot?  Mine always works better when it’s been left in the shade/cold area. Thanks for the hack 🙌🏻

52 minutes ago, CB1964 said:

OH my word! I’ve spent  the last 3 years disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, have had 4 keys programmed, countless AA  callouts, have created new swear words, have shed many tears and have suffered much derision over my Skoda immobiliser problem and this is the first thing that’s worked!!! Not sure how long it will work for but I’ve used this hack for the past week and so far so good 👍🏻. Odd question: does anyone else find the problem gets worse when the car is left in the sun and gets hot?  Mine always works better when it’s been left in the shade/cold area. Thanks for the hack 🙌🏻

Have you ruled out cracked solder joints on the instrument cluster circuit board?

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

I have a Indian version Skoda Fabia 2009 model and have same issue for past few days. Initially thought its because my new battery is not keeping up with winter but then its Delhi and lowest it can go is 5-6 Decgree Centigrades. Anyway battery was checked by AMron guys (6 month old battery).

The issue was intermittent till 2 days back and then my car did'nt Start since yesterday at all. Finally i tried to inspect the pins as mentioned in the thread and shared video. The cluster was slightly different but 90% same, all pins were intact and couldn't find any problem in soldering joints. Anyway i cleaned the dust (there was very small amount) with a dry brush. and connected back,.

My engine is now running, I drove it for at least an hour and turned my ignition on and off 10 times. it worked 9 times so far. Fingers crossed will check tomorrow morning again.

And yes in doing so my Airbags warning light is now "ON"

On 23/12/2019 at 22:56, abhishek_charlie said:

I have a Indian version Skoda Fabia 2009 model and have same issue for past few days. Initially thought its because my new battery is not keeping up with winter but then its Delhi and lowest it can go is 5-6 Decgree Centigrades. Anyway battery was checked by AMron guys (6 month old battery).

The issue was intermittent till 2 days back and then my car did'nt Start since yesterday at all. Finally i tried to inspect the pins as mentioned in the thread and shared video. The cluster was slightly different but 90% same, all pins were intact and couldn't find any problem in soldering joints. Anyway i cleaned the dust (there was very small amount) with a dry brush. and connected back,.

My engine is now running, I drove it for at least an hour and turned my ignition on and off 10 times. it worked 9 times so far. Fingers crossed will check tomorrow morning again.

And yes in doing so my Airbags warning light is now "ON"

it worked for a day then stopped working. After that I reached out to  a mobile repair guy with my instrument cluster and asked him to re solder all the pins. That also looked like worked but only for that day , next morning it was again not recognizing the key although central locking etc works fine.

Today I got it scanned and the error was Intermittent Key issue, or unrecognized or unauthorized key. What I observed that if my key is too cold it fails to start the engine but I keep it inside my jacket for a minute and make it bit cozy, it starts working.

It cold here these days but I dont know if this hypo thesis is correct.

3 minutes ago, abhishek_charlie said:

it worked for a day then stopped working. After that I reached out to  a mobile repair guy with my instrument cluster and asked him to re solder all the pins. That also looked like worked but only for that day , next morning it was again not recognizing the key although central locking etc works fine.

Today I got it scanned and the error was Intermittent Key issue, or unrecognized or unauthorized key. What I observed that if my key is too cold it fails to start the engine but I keep it inside my jacket for a minute and make it bit cozy, it starts working.

It cold here these days but I dont know if this hypo thesis is correct.

Don't you have a spare key you can try?

5 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Don't you have a spare key you can try?

I lost it 5 years ago during shifting.. will keep trying meanwhile Winter here is not too long.. if nothing works then may be I have to ask the mechanic to reprogram the key or make a new key.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

happened to me, flashing light, no start, did it while visiting my folks in Yorkshire so took it to a tuning place in Huddersfield, £90 ish iirc to delete immobiliser, they do a diy ecu on ebay also

• Like 1