What are the must have optional extras on your S3?

Reversing camera. I have it on my current car and don't think I could go back to a large car that doesn't have one now.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I hope the heated windscreen will be good once i get my car and some winter. If it works like i've read, it sounds like a must-have for colder climates.

• Like 1

Reversing camera. I have it on my current car and don't think I could go back to a large car that doesn't have one now.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yep with you on that, my current motor (Qashqai) has one and I couldn't go without now.

• Like 1

Chalk another one up for the reversing camera. 

I would also recommend the 'LED package plus' option. It adds LED lighting all over the car (with the exception of the boot - weirdly - but Superskoda can fix this  ;) ) and adds coloured LED strips to the dash and door cards. It really adds a nice touch to the cabin and is pretty good VFM at £195. 

• Like 1

Chalk another one up for the reversing camera. 

I would also recommend the 'LED package plus' option. It adds LED lighting all over the car (with the exception of the boot - weirdly - but Superskoda can fix this  ;) ) and adds coloured LED strips to the dash and door cards. It really adds a nice touch to the cabin and is pretty good VFM at £195. 

Liking the bling factor!

• Like 1

Liking the bling factor!

Everyone needs some bling in their lives! AFAIK, the MY17 cars will have 10 colours to choose from, rather than the current selection of 3. The existing colours can be altered via VCDS with an almost unlimited amount of colours. There are plenty of pictures of the LEDs strips in action across the forum  :thumbup:

• Like 1

DSG, ACC, DAB, Color MaxiDOT, Lane Assist, Xenons, tinted windows, tri-zone climate, electric seats - there is a lot of stuff, that´s hard to live without, once you´ve had it :D

• Like 1

Colour Maxidot and Front Parking Sensors. Depending on you locale, only the rears are standard on the SE L Exec.

Also add the spare wheel or you'll get a tin of gunk.

I wouldn't be without my:

Canton

Heated front screen

Led pack

Colour maxidot

Not yet used but would always spec a spare wheel over a can of foam.

If I had my time again I'd probably add reversing camera and possibly blind spot detection. Been caught out once or twice but nothing serious.

Metallic paint obviously an extra too.

• 1 month later...

I have had the S3 for 6 months now.

My take on the extras is the following:

- Get as much driver aid systems as you can. My car is estate and it really is big. So anykind of driver help system (parking aid, parking camera, blindspot and so on) will help you a lot.

- Think 1000x if you want a GPS solution or not. My mistake was that I chose the Bolero radio (with Apple CarPlay / Android auto functionality). As it turns out it was a bad call. Meaning that I am not a huge fan of hooking my phone everytime i get to the car (does not work wirelessly). The second thing is that using your phone as GPS means that you pretty much need to have cellular data available always. Due to the fact that I live in Estonia its a pretty big restriction for me. I can only use it Estonia (currently) and the end conclusion would be that it would be been 10x easier to just pay 500 EUR more to get the GPS viable infotainment system for my car (Amudsen). And if you choose to go with the Bolero solution then bear in mind that you can´t modify or replace it. The replacement from Bolero to Columbus costs around 3000 EUR and the dealership is not sure if the CAN network of the car (installed with Bolero natively) works with it.

- Led Pack (Car looks better);

- Heated front screen;

- Heated and packable mirrors;

- Metallic paint;

- Beautiful alloys (The thing with alloy´s is something you need to think about. The problem here is that , its rather cheap buying your car with nice wheels (when you order it). This changes when you want to buy extra alloy wheels. Let me give you an example. If you buy a new car with 18" alloys you pay +400 EUR for these wheels. All set and done. If you choose 17" alloys and then want to buy extra 18" alloys then the wheels cost 400 EUR / a piece. Meaning that you pay 2x extra. 17" alloys are cheaper (i got them for 600 EUR). 

So all in all add-ins are cool things , but we have entered the era where you really need to think about what you choose to have in your car. Modification is pretty much impossible (atleast in Estonia) and has no economic sense whatsoever. So , from one guy to another , think hard before you choose anything, cause you have to live with it for the reminder of the years you are using this car. And , it is a lot cheaper in long term to buy a car with more equipment then to start modifying it after your machine has been delievered.

Cheers.

Indrek.

Not sure what the spec of the SE-L is now, mine is the Business SE but here are some that spring to mind.

DSG is a must if you spend a bit of time in traffic, perfect partner for the active cruise control (ACC) I didn't spec the DSG and now wish I had.

Canton if you like sounds on the move, love mine and always looking for excuses to go for a drive.

Reversing camera, had it on my last 2 cars and wouldn't be without it now.

Integrated towbar if you tow. Really neat solution.

Maxidot display and LED interior lights, they look upmarket for so little cost.

Sunroof, not for everybody I agree but brightens up a sombre interior and right now mine is open every day.

Electric memory seats if your partner uses the car.

Decent alloys.

Maybe its me, but 90% of time I open back doors first, because I have to put there either bag, either jacket or kids.

That's where you are going wrong mate, putting kids in the car ;)

• Like 2

The only thing I wish I had specced on my s3 estate is the electric tail gate. The holding of the button in latches it but the boot lid is far to heavy for it to lift on its own. Before I get the whole "just open it yourself you lazy sod" responses, when you are picking up a delivery at work and you hands are full it would be nice. Out of interest is this common for all others? Or is it something I should approach with the dealer as a possible fault?

If I bought my SE L estate again would spec it as follows:

Rear side Airbags & Crew Protection Assistant (if you have a family then yes).

Heated windscreen & nozzles (I will always have these).

Spare wheel (a must)

Auto Hold (Superb option in a Superb).

Traffic sign Recognition (TSR) (option unlocker).

LED plus pack (nice bling)

Parking sensors (front - is a cut price system, not as good as L&K standard!!).

Reversing Camera (didn't order but would now, the mirrors are tiny)

18" alloys (I have the 19", lovely but the ride suffers).

I didn't spec TSR but wish I had as the VCDS crowd cracked the Lane Assist and Light Assist coding, just 2 weeks before I collected my car. £85 or £850+....Simples.

Things I wouldn't spec:

Canton - I really like my music and have found the standard system is pretty damn good out the box! Controlled, plenty of Bass and good at volume. I probably would love the CANTON but couldn not justify the price. What you've never had you don't miss!

KESSY - Yes it's handy but when your mates 2x Range Rover Sports both go missing from his drive (in front of his wife's eyes), you can't help but wonder about the security. Both keys were cloned by the guys sitting outside his kitchen window /side door with a laptop and scanner. He caught them on the CCTV video a couple of nights later Watching it back. 3 visits is all our took for them to get both key codes.

Colour MaxiDot - I like it but don't reckon it's much better than my last b&w one.

Best of luck speccing up. My options are in pref order just so you know.

Edited by blahde2

Maybe its me, but 90% of time I open back doors first, because I have to put there either bag, either jacket or kids.

I'd not considered that. Perhaps as my daughter is getting to an age where she can open the door herself and is more independent, but you're right - if you've got a little one you're more than likely going to be opening the back up first.