Approved used skoda, is it worth it?

I d like some input from others, I brought a skoda octavia vrs on 22nd April. The car had done 8395 miles and is now on 9700 miles. Since owning the car (under 30) days I have replaced 4 tyres as he car was making a strange noise. On writing to skoda cs and the dealer, skoda washed there hands with it. It's now been back with the dealer for 3 days and we're going into a bank holiday so don't expect back til Wednesday or later... The car has had 2 new front wheel bearings replaced and due to the car being hesitate to the stage it felt like it would conk out, they are stripping the engine and replacing other parts. As this was an approved vehicle I have to ask what the multipoint check carries out, as it's not a road test and obviously the car isn't plugged in to a computer to look at any faults. At the moment my letter to the dealer was to reject the vehicle under my rights by law, but they are wanting me to take this back. What do you think I should do? I be been refused a refund of tyres so far, prior to the wheel bearings being replaced... I must say having owned a SEAT Leon fr prior to this, I never once had any issues like this.

I need some input as I m not happy with the car and I think the dealer should have made sure this car was ready for sale, before taking my £18230

I bought a 10 month old used 55 plate demo L&K and it came home with about 5 obvious faults which I then had to drive back to Liverpool to get fixed so IMO the multipoint check is a load of bull at some dealers.

If they are now having to strip the engine then I'd be rejecting at this point as I wouldn't trust it.  Are you still able to reject with being past the 30 days?

Did you just replace the tyres yourself? Did this resolve that particular issue. Did you inform the dealer of the 'strange noise'? Is it still the same strange noise you have now or something different?

I can't see how wheel bearings can affect hesitancy of the engine so I'm a bit confused.

I have rejected the car within the 30 days asking them to put it right, but no other bits have been found on the engine I can just see me having issues with this car.

Greetty, I replaced the 4 tyres as the noise wasn't consistent and reading in this forum people advised of tyre noise.. The dealer is bending over backwards to get this resolved now I ve formally rejected it. The hesitance in the engine is something else I brought up, not relating to the tyres. I d noticed it on pickup.

I d like some input from others, I brought a skoda octavia vrs on 22nd April. The car had done 8395 miles and is now on 9700 miles. Since owning the car (under 30) days I have replaced 4 tyres as he car was making a strange noise. On writing to skoda cs and the dealer, skoda washed there hands with it. It's now been back with the dealer for 3 days and we're going into a bank holiday so don't expect back til Wednesday or later... The car has had 2 new front wheel bearings replaced and due to the car being hesitate to the stage it felt like it would conk out, they are stripping the engine and replacing other parts. As this was an approved vehicle I have to ask what the multipoint check carries out, as it's not a road test and obviously the car isn't plugged in to a computer to look at any faults. At the moment my letter to the dealer was to reject the vehicle under my rights by law, but they are wanting me to take this back. What do you think I should do? I be been refused a refund of tyres so far, prior to the wheel bearings being replaced... I must say having owned a SEAT Leon fr prior to this, I never once had any issues like this.

I need some input as I m not happy with the car and I think the dealer should have made sure this car was ready for sale, before taking my £18230

It sounds like you have bought a pup, get rid and Wright the cost of the tyres of as a bad decision. It sounds like it has been totally abused, two wheel bearings, what next, dmf clutch? And they are not under warrenty after 6kw. It sounds like an ex demonstrator, or an internal pool car that has been screwed.

Personally I'd reject it and look elsewhere. Stripping an engine at under 10k miles would be ringing alarm bells for me!

Vrs hatch for £19995 or not as someone has already said- walk away. Why tolerate your car being taken apart and rebuilt. You will always have the fear that something else could go wrong after that major job.

I don't get it, a lot of people (Pipsysreturns may have mentioned it a million times) complain about the high depreciation rate of the Octavia and yet someone is prepared to pay this price for a 2nd hand car?

This is simple, since the consumer rights Act was beefed up in October 2015, you can reject it within 30 days and get full refund. I believe you have rejected it, dealer hasn't fixed it to your satisfaction so take the refund. The only problem with this is it leaves you without a car, but they are not rare so should be easy to get a replacement.

If it is between 30 days and 6 months and it breaks down then dealer should fix it.

My suggestion is on Tuesday, ask for your money (actually demand it there and then, but allow upto 2 hours for bacs transfer to hit your bank account), hand back keys and docs, then claim back car tax (before it becomes another month), send off V5 to confirm no longer owner.

In meantime look on Internet for replacement, (Skoda UK used, and auto trader should cover most out there). Your dealers repair Dept will be closed, but for sales some dealers are open Sunday and Bank holiday Monday. A number of dealers change their own fleet every 3 months (and do it when registration plate changes) so this week many 3 month old ones become available. Alternatively Motorpoint also have plenty (imports).

Edited by SurreyJohn

• 2 weeks later...

Vrs hatch for £19995 or not as someone has already said- walk away. Why tolerate your car being taken apart and rebuilt. You will always have the fear that something else could go wrong after that major job.

Where?

For me buying @20K means about 10K to lose of my private money, as I wanted to buy a good 2nd hand and keep it long term (otherwise I could have considered a lease plan or something?).

Nothing is for free nowadays so even a 2nd hander with a few miles on it isn't cheap, but is significantly cheaper than new or nearly new with next to no miles.

I also still have warranty (for now) so "nearly" the equivalent of your cheap 20k new, in terms of car is what I mean its basically the same car, but a lot lot cheaper (ok its a 220 not a 230 admittedly).

I think I'd be concerned about used without at least a few miles on it as all cars history is unclear until you use them, but at least its been properly used if it has miles.

No only does the reduce the price quite a lot, but also means if there are issues, they tend to have been covered already too by the last owner!

So maybe the issue is just down to the public obsession with buying "too new, too low mileage" cars where the dealer would still potentially be prepared to sell less than perfect cars as the strong margins in it for them with very new cars ?

However approved used makes more sense later in their age "genuine" lemons have filtered down to the dodgy dave type garages

( where for official sales they are less bothered for hassle of returns or looking bad due to the margins and might tend to sell more genuine good used cars at good value but with still the backing that comes with approved used ).

I think my only perspective on it is they are often "economic with the truth" more than anything - rather than quality of the cars.

For instance I'm sure I was told my last car was owned by teacher from new but got the papers showing 2 keepers ( which doesn't bother me thah much as its still a decent condtion car driving well).

The Fabia 2 the wife had from cambridge ( which was cheap at the time it was about 6.5K for a nearly newer) I'm sure also when papers arrived, had mention of a hire/lease company on it similarly which was a bit of a surprise as there had been no mention of that history when we were buying, if it had been more transparent maybe we might have been concerned or gone into more checks or walked away.

But then again all of these have approved guarantees behind so if they go wrong you can still take them back.

Edited by vRSAnt