Broker orders cancelled by Skoda UK

I remember JamJar, didn't know they were still going.....weren't they something to do with Direct Line at the time?

JamJar went under years ago but they were pioneers in the new car broker industry.

Before they existed, if you wanted a new car at substantially less than the UK showroom price, you had to import it.

Edited by SkodaVRS1963

JamJar went under years ago but they were pioneers in the new car broker industry.

Before they existed, if you wanted a new car at substantially less than the UK showroom price, you had to import it.

Ah yes, the famous grey imports of the time!

Just a quick comment on this situation. How do we know this is Skoda causing this? All we have seen is a mail from one broker blaming Skoda for the problem. It could be something entirely different of course and the broker is just hiding behind their version of the situation they are in. The fact that it is referring to cars already built and in the delivery chain makes me a bit suspicious; especially if the car is individually specced.

Of course there is a great deal of dismay and anger but please take care as you proceed. This may just be one broker in difficulty due to their business strategy and nothing to do with Skoda directing anything. 

Just saying before we all go overboard about customer service et al.

Any which way, trying to find a solution is probably best done with a calm mind  :yes:. Otherwise, goodness me, you may find yourself buying a BMW or an Audi instead.  :notme:

Wise words and you may well be right, finding the truth of the matter is no easy task.

• Like 1

As my old Granny always said, 'If it sounds to good to be true it probably isn't'

But this is how this Industry (and others) works - at times it just suits them to discretely price like this to help move stock or get an initial surge to help get a new model moving without the negative publicity of dealers sales discounts. I got nearly £6000 (20%) off my brand new showroom unregistered Kia Sorento for just those reasons. All above board just like all the brokers who have been trading like this for many years. Hence all the full page adverts in mags like What Car. NCD must have done something special to run foul of the rules with Skoda - if that is what has happened. No signs of other brokers or models having the same problem. Those affected have been badly treated and have my sympathy.

Just a quick comment on this situation. How do we know this is Skoda causing this? All we have seen is a mail from one broker blaming Skoda for the problem. It could be something entirely different of course and the broker is just hiding behind their version of the situation they are in. The fact that it is referring to cars already built and in the delivery chain makes me a bit suspicious; especially if the car is individually specced.

Of course there is a great deal of dismay and anger but please take care as you proceed. This may just be one broker in difficulty due to their business strategy and nothing to do with Skoda directing anything. 

Any which way, trying to find a solution is probably best done with a calm mind  :yes:. Otherwise, goodness me, you may find yourself buying a BMW or an Audi instead.  :notme:

I have to say this is one of the most sensible thing said so far

Brand new models? I doubt that.

Yup. Brand new models. It took me all of 60 seconds to find 5 series for 17% off and even 7 series with 11% off on NCD, as just one example.

Email just sent to dealer:

Re: Discounts on Superb

Hello xxx,

You may be interested in this: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/400859-broker-orders-cancelled-by-skoda-uk/page-2 , and may wish to pass it to Skoda UK.

If you didn’t know it already, ‘eurotraveller’ is me.

With increasing dismay, I’ve been watching on that forum how the Superb was / is being devalued – in both monetary and image terms – by such heavy discounting. This is clearly contrary to my interest as much as it is yours.

Regards

Do you have any realisation of how 'sour grapes' you're coming across with this? Would you complain to any other manufacturer, of anything, if you'd bought something and then discovered somewhere else was selling it cheaper? I get being irritated/annoyed about it, but going to the point of trying to stitch other people up, just because you're grumpy you missed out and (for some reason) worried how it's devaluing your car is quite something. Sorry if I'm wrong, but that is absolutely how you're coming across on here.

I think cancelling orders that are already built is a bit harsh, but I guess Skoda have taken the view that the dealership network will still achieve more margin on a pre-reg model compared to these broker deals.

1) People keep suggesting it's more unfair if the order's been built already, but I think anyone who has ordered in good faith and paid a deposit should have their orders honoured. I think whether the car's been built or not is irrelevant.

2) I honestly don't know so happy to be corrected, but I'd assume that Skoda make the same profit on every vehicle regardless of who the customer is, so it's the dealers who will make more or less out of it, no? That said, I can understand wanting to keep the dealers at least a bit happy but what are the dealers going to do, throw their licence away and sell a different manufacturer?

• Like 1

Agreed - the thread title only mentions brokers but so far there's no indication that it's anything other than one company that's done this.

John

I don't feel comfortable with the amount of accusation that Skoda UK did this without any evidence.

It could be the broker, or a specific fleet dealer that has broken their agreement.

If the broker is still able to supply other Skoda models, then the obvious question is are they coming through different dealers. If so has a dealer supplying the Superbs been sanctioned/suspended.

At the moment it appears other brokers are unaffected (but possibly they haven't updated websites as its been holiday weekend and admin staff aren't in).

If I had to make a wild guess, I suspect the fleet dealer has transgressed, maybe they failed to pay for cars on time, and/or possibly just lost their volume bonus as a result which was subsidising the lower price.

If I had to make a wild guess, I suspect the fleet dealer has transgressed, maybe they failed to pay for cars on time, and/or possibly just lost their volume bonus as a result which was subsidising the lower price.

If this is the case (which seems highly probable) where will all these cancelled orders turn up that were ready for imminent collection?

Just got cancellation by e-mail.

Over 3 months wasted.

Going to check with Skoda UK now.

Sorry to hear that, probably a waste of time contacting Skoda UK though....I sent them a scathing email the other day and haven't heard back as yet and not expecting to, don't want to call them as I may well say something I might regret as I'm so very angry over this!!!

Sorry to hear that, probably a waste of time contacting Skoda UK though....I sent them a scathing email the other day and haven't heard back as yet and not expecting to, don't want to call them as I may well say something I might regret as I'm so very angry over this!!!

If your email was "scathing" and full of anger it's unlikely you'll get a response. If you sent it to CS it most probably went straight into the recycle bin anyway.

Saying the right things to the right people can occasionally result in a positive outcome. A letter needs to be polite, factual, and remark on positive aspects of the company and the products it sells. Threats are an instant turn off in most circumstances, the mention of solutions, goodwill, maintaining the respect the brand has earned are all positives.

I've still to receive my email, when I do get it, I too shall write, the odds are against a favourable outcome but I'll give it my best shot. As I'm still none the wiser who is at fault this will go to the directors of NCD and [email protected] their new Brand Director. If I can discover who the participating dealer is (was), their MD will get copied in also.

• Like 3

If your email was "scathing" and full of anger it's unlikely you'll get a response. If you sent it to CS it most probably went straight into the recycle bin anyway.

Saying the right things to the right people can occasionally result in a positive outcome. A letter needs to be polite, factual, and remark on positive aspects of the company and the products it sells. Threats are an instant turn off in most circumstances, the mention of solutions, goodwill, maintaining the respect the brand has earned are all positives.

I've still to receive my email, when I do get it, I too shall write, the odds are against a favourable outcome but I'll give it my best shot. As I'm still none the wiser who is at fault this will go to the directors of NCD and [email protected] their new Brand Director. If I can discover who the participating dealer is (was), their MD will get copied in also.

I wouldn't say it was full of anger or even abusive...just to the point. To be honest, I have given up on the whole business now, as I mentioned elsewhere just leaves a bad taste...so I am just going to stick with my Beetle I think and save myself £29k!

Separate thread to track orders through broker cancelled by Skoda UK and coordinate consumer action to pressure Skoda if they refuse to deliver.

Story: Apparently Skoda UK doesn't like brokers supplying cheaper cars to public and wants to end this.

In the process, they intend to cancel orders which have been placed months ago, cars have been built, transported and scheduled for delivery. 

While it is understandable if for some reason Skoda doesn't want to sell cars discounted too much, it doesn't make sense to refuse to fulfil orders already placed - not to mention built, with the dealer and scheduled for delivery - no one gains and this would be a lot of bad press for Skoda.

If confirmed, this should be escalated through trading standards and media. Hopefully this won't go there and Skoda fulfils all the orders 

So far the following users have reported cancellations:

• carl12 - NCD
  • firebits - NCD
  • UncleWang - NCD

philpix - NCD

True enough, I'd take the discount too if it was from a source in which I absolute confidence. But it's clearly like buying other stuff 'cheaply' online; there's often a catch – in my experience, anyway.

Here's the other perspective again:

I could send Skoda a letter thanking them for finally doing that as I did genuinely feel my car was devalued – not just in monetary terms – by being flogged at such low prices.

IMO you sent the wrong email.  I would still be emailing Skoda, but instead of thanking them for cancelling discounted orders, I would be questioning why they allow Fleets massive discounts which are not available to normal customers.  Any customer who pays full price is in effect subsidising these Fleet discounts.

Do you honestly think Skoda took this action to protect ‘your’ resell value?  My understanding of Fleet Sales (I am happy to be corrected on this) is they sell to fleets at discounts the average buyer could merely dream of.  After a given period, normally 3 years, these vehicles become available and are normally bought back by the supplying manufacturer, who put them back into their network.  They then sell these 2 or 3 year old vehicles at prices sometimes higher than the discounted Fleet price.

I bought my Octy Scout via a broker, and even with options it was still cheaper than the 1 and 2 year old Scouts Skoda was selling.  I only took the Broker route due to the abysmal ‘salemen’ I endured during the buying process.  When I informed one of them I was looking to buy in the next six months (at the time there was a possibility I was being drafted to Afghanistan at short notice), he told me to come back when I was more serious, and got up and walked away.  The second salesman refused point blank to haggle, and this was after telling me during the test drive that due to sales being so good he bought himself a £2.5k Bose surround system, “I didn’t really need it, but it is good to treat yourself.”  Not at my expense, it isn’t. 

In all probability if I hadn’t taken the Broker route, I would have purchased a vehicle from another brand.

IMO, Skoda has taken this action as a shot across the bows to any other dealership thinking of conducting business practices along the lines of those dealing with NCD.  If anyone broaches the subject in the future, you will probably hear in hushed tones, “Remember what happened to NCD!”

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for you all in this situation. I bought from a dealer but had to travel from Birmingham to Southampton to get a good deal.

I certainly do not begrudge anyone using a broker to get a good deal. We all want to get the best possible value that we can; that's just common sense to me.

At the moment no one has a solution to this situation but I really hope you get the car that you all want.

Again, really sorry for you all.

• Like 2

Despicable practice by dealers/Skoda UK (even if for not being able to resolve this).

For that reason (and wasted time and money) I'll pick a different brand.

Totally agree, my email to Skoda UK was ignored as expected....their loss, will never get a Skoda now. I have put a deposit down on another brand...should get it within a month!

I know I would feel very angry and upset after waiting for a car that didn't arrive. I think the best thing Skoda could have done is honour existing orders but make the dealer doing all the dodgy deals cover the price difference if they want to keep their franchise.

• Like 1

Brand new models? I doubt that.

Come to think of it, I think I'll send my Skoda dealer a link to this thread and suggest to them that they might pass it to head office.

This just smacks of sour grapes. Quite pathetic really.

For the record, I bought a brand new E Class from a main dealer and had over 8K discount. This talk of protecting the brand is nonsense. All mainstream brands are available with discount if you shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Been following this thread with interest. Have just taken delivery yesterday of my new Superb SE-L Exec , Purchased through DrivetheDeal, they referred me to one of the Skoda dealers that supply their customers.

Was able to take advantage of the 2.9 % APR Skoda PCP and got the 2 years free servicing saving just under £4,000.

I admit I was partially attracted to the lower price offered by NCD, however I was not going to be in direct contact with the dealer, and had no option for the low rate finance and free service plan, I smelled a rat and walked away.

The thread title indicated that all broker orders are being cancelled, there is now evidence as of yet to confirm this as the people posting on here that have had their order cancelled have only mentioned NCD, so this is obviously where the fault is.

They were breaking the rules somewhere along the lines and its all gone wrong.The only people taht have suffered are the people that have there orders cancelled. 

I would definatly recomend Drivethdeal 

Neil

If something looks too good to be true it generally is. 

Edited by Neilwhiteless