A to Z won over sat nav today

I'm fast losing patience with this sat nav system in this 2015 vRS.

This morning, I had to find an address in a smallish to medium sized town 15 miles from here.

Town ok, but tap address and it gave me just 5 options of the road name beginning with U, and I know for a fact there are many others.

Just would  not let me continue typing the road name after the second letter.

I wasted 20 minutes trying every available option and button.

Gave up in dreadful frustration in the end, got the A to Z out, and found it in less than 20 seconds, and then launched the Skoda manual into the boot over my shoulder. :devil:

Is this just me, or a possible fault on the nav SD card I wonder?

Edited by Adenuf

I am surprised anyone would order Sat nav when buying a new Skoda Vrs when Smartlink allows you to use Google maps thru your bluetooth/aux cable..and much better and free!!if you own a smartphone...its simple to use..just like on ur phone or laptop ..just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am surprised anyone would order Sat nav when buying a new Skoda Vrs when Smartlink allows you to use Google maps thru your bluetooth/aux cable..and much better and free!!if you own a smartphone...its simple to use..just like on ur phone or laptop ..just my opinion.

It's fine if you have a data plan. Not everyone has.

I'm fast losing patience with this sat nav system in this 2015 vRS.

This morning, I had to find an address in a smallish to medium sized town 15 miles from here.

Town ok, but tap address and it gave me just 5 options of the road name beginning with U, and I know for a fact there are many others.

Just would  not let me continue typing the road name after the second letter.

I wasted 20 minutes trying every available option and button.

Gave up in dreadful frustration in the end, got the A to Z out, and found it in less than 20 seconds, and then launched the Skoda manual into the boot over my shoulder. :devil:

Is this just me, or a possible fault on the nav SD card I wonder?

Did you have option of using the postcode?

• Like 1

If you plan your route at home on wifi it saves the mapping ready for when you get in the car.

It isn't a delete option on the vRS now..... unfortunately.  :devil:

Hate it.

Like the concept....Tom Tom for instance....brilliant, but this thing is a total 'mare.

I thought the one on the Superb was pretty grim, but I finally grasped how to use it reasonably competently, but this thing was designed by a sadist, I'm convinced. 

Did you have option of using the postcode?

That did actually appear at one stage, yes!

Never found it again though.

Didn't have the postcode of where I was going anyway!  :notme:

If you plan your route at home on wifi it saves the mapping ready for when you get in the car.

Now I found logging my home address into its memory relatively simple, as it asked me if I'd like my current location to be my home address....YAY! Success!. 

I dont want to sound like a smarty pants so no offence to anyone but if you can afford a new Vrs ..tax and insure it and run it..u can afford a data plan...and if not i suggest living beyond your means may be the problem ..lol.

I dont want to sound like a smarty pants so no offence to anyone but if you can afford a new Vrs ..tax and insure it and run it..u can afford a data plan...and if not i suggest living beyond your means may be the problem ..lol.

....and to the slightly I.T. dim here, just WHAT the hell is a data plan please?

Also, I did not ask for the sat nav. Fitted as standard equipment now.

. I would have been absolutely ecstatic if it hadn't got one, as I've found Tom Tom extremely user friendly in the past, and had budgeted into purchasing a new one if needs be.

I may still do that actually.

Tax is only £30 too btw.

Insurance less than £300

Running it at 53 average overall mixed driving  mpg so far is not much worse than the Superb Greenline that I had

Cost me less to purchase it too, albeit this was an ex demo, whereas the Superb was new.

Next question? :sun:

I am going to let my youngster loose on the sat nav programming when he gets in from work.

I am going to ask him to TRY and find the local mental asylum for me to drive to!  :D

On a 230 vrs petrol ..Tax 390 euros insurance 600 euros..and 1.28 euros a litre for petrol in Rep.Of Ireland! And data plan is allowing you to connect your phone to the internet while either thru 3g/4g..wifi..and it allows you to use your google maps app.to be displayed on your Vrs radio /headunit screen and also thru speakers so you can hear the directional prompts...very useful app.thru Skodas smartlink system.:)

• Like 1

Now I found logging my home address into its memory relatively simple, as it asked me if I'd like my current location to be my home address....YAY! Success!.

Be careful doing this, if your car is ever stolen from a car park for instance then all the thief has to do is hit 'home' on the sat nav and away they go. If your house key is in the car then it's an open door with route guidance to boot!

I was advised about this by one of those home safety brief things, it's recommended you park in a local shop car park near your home, then you will always head in the right direction and you know where you are from the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Good point.

I'll go and attempt to delete it on your excellent advice.

I may be gone some time, so I'll wish you all a happy Christmas now, just in case.

• Like 1

Then there is the consideration that having to **** about with different layers of things

(is my car charging my phone? Is my phone held securely? Is it getting in the way of my visibility or cluttering the dash ? How am I going to interact with my phone if a problem comes up that may interrupt)

I'm sorry I can't see how that is "better", even if the application of the software works smoother in travel terms, its not explicitly designed for intended purpose as a whole from the ground up, whilst the car entertainment, is.

I haven't had those issues with nav myself so there is balance of opinion needed also of different nav users.

Then again as you said it was your opinion, not fact, pays your money takes your choice.

I got mine with the car used by the way not payed for, but I would actually be prepared to pay for the convenience and streamlined solution it provides

Then I suppose there will be people quite into geeky solutions but I personally have the opinion this really shouldn't be part of driving environment which potentially can be distacting enough, keep it simple mate.

• Like 1

My son used his mobile i phone thing last year with TomTom onit to guide us to  Le Mans....why I really don't know, as the sat nav in the Superb was doing the job quite adequately....I digress.....and I was both amazed and horrified as to just how hot it was getting.

Told him to take it off the center console in the end, as I was half expecting it to burst into flames!

Meanwhile, I've just wasted another hour of my life experimenting with this damned carbuncle built into the dash.

I HAVE discovered that it doesn't seem to like names of towns and villages within certain areas of jurisdiction that come under the mother town or city names.

It recognises these smaller towns and villages, but seemingly only for their centers, and the odd one or two streets,, unless you type in Liverpool for instance, or Merseyside.

Crazy.

Then there is the consideration that having to **** about with different layers of things

(is my car charging my phone? Is my phone held securely? Is it getting in the way of my visibility or cluttering the dash ? How am I going to interact with my phone if a problem comes up that may interrupt)

I'm sorry I can't see how that is "better", even if the application of the software works smoother in travel terms, its not explicitly designed for intended purpose as a whole from the ground up, whilst the car entertainment, is.

I haven't had those issues with nav myself so there is balance of opinion needed also of different nav users.

Then again as you said it was your opinion, not fact, pays your money takes your choice.

I got mine with the car used by the way not payed for, but I would actually be prepared to pay for the convenience and streamlined solution it provides

Then I suppose there will be people quite into geeky solutions but I personally have the opinion this really shouldn't be part of driving environment which potentially can be distacting enough, keep it simple mate.

I find Smartlink quite useful. I just plug the phone in the USB and my phone screen is copied on the infotainment screen.

Navigation, text message, music and calls is all there and the phone just sits in the little pocket by the gearstick.

Which unit do you have - the Columbus has has worked well for me on the 2-3 times I used it in New Zealand!

Also use Apple Maps (sadly they won't let me use Google) through Car Play which also works well.

Not got lost yet.

Good point.

I'll go and attempt to delete it on your excellent advice.

I may be gone some time, so I'll wish you all a happy Christmas now, just in case.

I set mine to my local Sainsbury's. Will get me home from anywhere in the country and I know my area. My dad saves his home as, stay away!

• Like 2

Be careful doing this, if your car is ever stolen from a car park for instance then all the thief has to do is hit 'home' on the sat nav and away they go. If your house key is in the car then it's an open door with route guidance to boot!

I was advised about this by one of those home safety brief things, it's recommended you park in a local shop car park near your home, then you will always head in the right direction and you know where you are from the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gteat bit of advice that. Doing that later today. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2