Rear Disks and Pads - Tools Needed

Hi All,

Need to replace the rear disks and pads on my 2010 Octavia.

Pads that’s easy 13mm and 15mm spanner 2 bolts out wind the calliper back and drop the new pads in.

Disks

This is the bit I need some help on what tools do I need to remove the bracket that the calliper fits to? I can see 2 x bolts any idea what goes in them?

I guess remove the 2 bolts tat remove the bracket allowing you to swap the disk over.

I cant find any videos or threads for this year of car any help out there thank!!!!

I need to take mine off to get the disk off. I did try without but there is not enough clearance unless iam doing it wrong which is always possible.

Does anyone know what the bolts are and is there a plastic cap over the top of them. A size would be good as well

I've never seen them with a pastic cap over them, the only thing I have seen with a cap on them are the caliper slide pins which are an allen key. 7mm?

Why not have a look?

I did and I did not see a cap. Only reason I asked is because spline bolt was mentioned and I did not see the grove on the side of the bolt that I would expect to see.

Yes like you its on the 7mm allen key like on my old mk4 gold brakes.

On the back the carrier bolts are an M14 spline. You will also need a decent breaker bar as they are very tight.

Sounds like you have done this before. Does that mean you HAVE to take the bracket off to change the disk? Or is it just me

1.6 TDI Hatch Octavia not sure on the mm size of the disk.

I have found a M14 spline so will have a go. My only problem is its long not a short one.

I will have a look tomorrow and report my findings.

I dont think the disk will just drop off. So I guess we hit it with a hammer?

You can get away with taking the bottom one off and chapping the carrier around enough to get the disc off the top bolt is a pain in the a**e to get to. I ended up buying a spline tool that a 10mm spanner goes onto to get it off.

You can twist the disc as soon as you move it off the hub. I would have thought you could slip it out without removing the carrier.

Pour/spray some penetrating oil in the wheel stud holes at the joint between disc and hub and leave a few minutes. That does the trick for me.

If required, use a rubber mallet don't use a hammer.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

I will have a look tomorrow and report my findings.

I dont think the disk will just drop off. So I guess we hit it with a hammer?

Don't hit a brake disc with anything meta. They're hardened, so in principle, could shatter, and you don't want to be there if that happens.

Hi, I have had trouble removing the rear carrier M14 spline bolts but I didn't actually try to remove the disc from the hub. Has anyone had success removing a 272mm disc from the rear without removing the carrier? Thats on a VRS FL.

Does it just about slide through or will it get stuck?

Edited by UdayP

I'm willing to bet on a VRS you have to take the carrier off. I did a golf GTI and the carrier had to come off, the same with an A3 170 sportback, the only car I've managed it on was a basic golf 1.9TDI 105 with smaller discs

Interestingly the Golf 1.9 had the M14 spline but the Golf GTI and the A3 both had hexagon bolts which is a lot better than the spline as they are less likely to be full of corrosion.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

Hi, I have had trouble removing the rear carrier M14 spline bolts but I didn't actually try to remove the disc from the hub. Has anyone had success removing a 272mm disc from the rear without removing the carrier? Thats on a VRS FL.

Does it just about slide through or will it get stuck?

your carriers will need to come off  as it only works on lower engine models such as 1.6/1.9  as even on a 2.0PD 140 my carriers had to come off

your carriers will need to come off  as it only works on lower engine models such as 1.6/1.9  as even on a 2.0PD 140 my carriers had to come off

Urghh! Right, guess its time to get the spline tool!

Interestingly the Golf 1.9 had the M14 spline but the Golf GTI and the A3 both had hexagon bolts which is a lot better than the spline as they are less likely to be full of corrosion.

Double edged sword I guess as they use a spline as it's less likely to round off. More surface area, better application of torque.

Double edged sword I guess as they use a spline as it's less likely to round off. More surface area, better application of torque.

True, although if everybody had a half decent socket set you would never round one of those bolt heads. Its those multi point sockets that are the culprit most of the time.

I reckon its just because Skoda are behind the times, I reckon they will move in the same direction

Ok I can confirm that I was able to remove my disk without take the carrier off!!!! So that was good for me.

I can also confirm that on my car it is a Spline M14 that holds the carrier on with 2 bolts and you need a short one. If I had to take the carrier off I would have needed to get a short M14 bit first.

This was a top tip with 4 good hits with a hammer it pinged off. I made sure lots of copper grease was used on the back of the hub to make it easier next time.

Pour/spray some penetrating oil in the wheel stud holes at the joint between disc and hub and leave a few minutes. That does the trick for me.

Shouldnt use copper grease (electroylitic corrosion!!), shouldnt use grease at all between disc and hub (its a joint face reliant on clamped friction to transmit torque)

Only grease on brake parts should be metallic free brake grease (ceratec) which is cheap from ecp, gsf etc.

Ok I can confirm that I was able to remove my disk without take the carrier off!!!! So that was good for me.

I can also confirm that on my car it is a Spline M14 that holds the carrier on with 2 bolts and you need a short one. If I had to take the carrier off I would have needed to get a short M14 bit first.

This was a top tip with 4 good hits with a hammer it pinged off. I made sure lots of copper grease was used on the back of the hub to make it easier next time.

Do you know if yours was the 255mm disc at the rear?