Octavia vRS Estate, Diesel or Petrol?

Guys I need help!

I know I am going to be ordering the Octavia very soon but I just cannot make my mind up if I should go Petrol or Diesel. My heart is saying order the Petrol but my head is saying I will regret it in time and wish I had purchased the diesel... 

What MPG are the petrol owners here getting?

What do you think I should do?

I've had my diesel vrs since 2013 and done just over 30k miles.

I get at best 45mpg and have had issues with dpf regens causing dreadful fuel economy.

Added to the fake exhausts on the diesel I'd advise unless you are desparate for 4x4 or do huge mileage buy the petrol.

I've ordered a 4x4 diesel vrs, got sick of the 23 mpg out of my Audi S3 plus I needed a bigger car. I know the vrs won't be a quick but I won't miss the 270 miles out of a full tank

I struggle to get more than 400 miles out of my diesel. Stupid small tank!

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 2

Guys I need help!

I know I am going to be ordering the Octavia very soon but I just cannot make my mind up if I should go Petrol or Diesel. My heart is saying order the Petrol but my head is saying I will regret it in time and wish I had purchased the diesel... 

What do you think I should do?

What sort of annual mileage and driving are you looking to do. I wouldn't bother with a diesel unless you are doing at least 12K.

I get about 41MPG after 3K of mostly stop start traffic. If I do a 100 mile road trip of mostly Motorway and A road with out too much stop start I can see about 50MPG with a heavy right foot occasionally.

I'd personally prefer a Manual to DSG only because I get a bit fed up turning the Start Stop off, where as in a Manual you seem to have a bit more control i.e Gearbox in Neutral and Clutch not engaged for the system to kick in.

As gullyg mentions DPF issues may spoil the MPG somewhat. Doing a 100 mile motorway drive and then having to put up with an Active regen at the end is really frustrating.

Edited by davitc

As above, go for petrol unless your mileage dictates that you have to have a diesel.

Why spend £20,000+ on a new car and then baulk at an extra fiver on fuel each week.

• Like 2

What sort of annual mileage and driving are you looking to do. I wouldn't bother with a diesel unless you are doing at least 12K.

I get about 41MPG after 3K of mostly stop start traffic. If I do a 100 mile road trip of mostly Motorway and A road with out too much stop start I can see about 50MPG with a heavy right foot occasionally.

I'd personally prefer a Manual to DSG only because I get a bit fed up turning the Start Stop off, where as in a Manual you seem to have a bit more control i.e Gearbox in Neutral and Clutch not engaged for the system to kick in.

As gullyg mentions DPF issues may spoil the MPG somewhat. Doing a 100 mile motorway drive and then having to put up with an Active regen at the end is really frustrating.

Pull up for an Active Regen? 

How do you know that is happening and I take it you are not suppose to turn off the engine when this is happening? 

Pull up for an Active Regen? 

How do you know that is happening and I take it you are not suppose to turn off the engine when this is happening? 

There are a few signs. Such as smell of burning rubber, fans continue to spin after engine stops, rise in engine revs to a pprox 1K, Stop/Start system not activating.

You can turn engine off but after too many Interupted active regens you will get the DPF warning light for which you will need to follow instructions in the Manual. There are a few post on this forum regarding these.

To be honest I was worried about these to start with but with my 20 mile commute I haven't had the warning lite come on yet and that has been at the worst at least 60% stop start traffic.

Edited by davitc

I had a mk2 diesel estate and while it gave me 40-50 mpg (with dtuk box) I was/am only doing 7k a year

2 weeks ago traded it in for a mk3 petrol getting about 35-40 mpg on a good run but the extra power and engine refinement is lovely and more than makes up for it !

Can't wait to get another dtuk box :)

28.5mpg here.

My V6TDI Superb was better on fuel and more comfortable, but nowhere near as much fun, so I'm with Silver - go for petrol unless your mileage will be high enough to make that a silly decision.

Gaz

• Like 1

I got 37mpg on a long run 200 miles + today. A mix of roads, and in quite heavy traffic (it took me an hour more than I would normally expect to do the journey in). 

Mine is petrol. Hopefully I will get better than this tomorrow.

On a day to day basis I normally get about 33mpg 

Edited by wk230

Sensible and economic choice= agricultural engine

Fun choice= petrol engine.

Going from diesel to petrol again. It was a good car, but the worries of expensive repairs was a burden. The car was out of warranty.

The 4x4 has the 55 ltr tank same as my s3, iam hoping for 500 ish miles out of a full tank of diesel. One thing for sure it will be more mpg the the audi.

My 4x4 only gives me 400 miles out of a tank or about 36mpg. Even on long motorway runs it struggles to get above 40mpg.

My Petrol VRS I averaged 32mpg

Edited by LewJo

63 plate MKIII  Octavia Tdi Vrs Hatch, around town I can get 42/45 to the gallon, on a spirited run I can get 56/57, according to the average miles on Maxi Dot

When My new 230 Petrol comes I'll be aming for Single figures once it's run in.    :rofl:

• Like 2

My 4x4 only gives me 400 miles out of a tank or about 36mpg. Even on long motorway runs it struggles to get above 40mpg.

My Petrol VRS I averaged 32mpg

That does not sound good, i was hoping for mid 40's mpg and closer to the 500 mile tank range. How many miles has your car done ? What sort of driving is the 36 mpg, town, stop start etc

Get the petrol!

I've done 51k miles in mine and my average mpg is 41.24!

I consistently get between 400 and 500 miles a tank.

I do a lot of motorway miles mind you which helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That does not sound good, i was hoping for mid 40's mpg and closer to the 500 mile tank range. How many miles has your car done ? What sort of driving is the 36 mpg, town, stop start etc

It's only 3000 miles in so I'm hopeful it'll get better. Most of my mileage is my 15 mile commute of 90% motorway at 65-70mph, I really did expect better especially considering I got nearly the same out of my 220.

63 plate MKIII  Octavia Tdi Vrs Hatch, around town I can get 42/45 to the gallon, on a spirited run I can get 56/57, according to the average miles on Maxi Dot

When My new 230 Petrol comes I'll be aming for Single figures once it's run in.    :rofl:

That's good going in a TDI, the best I have done is 100 mi on a long run 85% motorway 15% A road.

20 years ago I had an early Range Rover and averaged 24 MPG on a long motoway run and about 14MPG around town sort of moderate driving mode, I'm sure I could get an average in lower 30s  if I tried hard enough.

Edited by davitc

Done nearly 4k miles in my TDI DSG estate, maxidot says 42mpg average, but I have to be careful and considerate to get it! If I put it to go its straight under 40!!! Must say, I'm a bit disappointed...... With all the 'technology' I was expecting 50mpg quite easily with approaching 60mpg with careful driving. With all the posts on the 220 petrol cars doing 35/40mpg, unless you do 30k miles a year like me, I'd get a petrol.