Wind whistle around drivers door

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 16:19, Azimov said:

Hi @Markyg

Literally no problem at all. I didn't use anything more than the standard 3m backing it came with. 

BR,

Azif

Hi, any update on whether this helped or not?  I have finally got round to fitting some wind deflectors and all it has done is change the noise rather than make it worse or better.  I quite like how they look and also the additional glare protection.  I'll be keeping them on for a while at least.

Next step is additional seals if you report a good enough improvement.  I am also having my shocks replaced with B6 all round this week so hoping the general crashyness is reduced.

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

I have finally got round to fitting some wind deflectors and all it has done is change the noise rather than make it worse or better.   I'll be keeping them on for a while at least.

That would mean the noise does not come from the wing mirrors but rather from door seals than I suspected at the begining.   I have already ordered seals and will apply them as additional one between door and car door frame.  Before I do that , I will drive up to  Skoda Dealer in another city and will leave them my car for another check for wind noise.   I really believe Skoda Dealers know the problem but at any time we visit them , they do everything to be deaf.     This either is expansive to correct or time consuming process to get rid of that.

9 hours ago, xcex said:

I really believe Skoda Dealers know the problem but at any time we visit them , they do everything to be deaf.     This either is expansive to correct or time consuming process to get rid of that.

I believe so as well. I tried a number of times with my skoda dealer... they either have not heard the whistle or then when I complained repeatedly they said that there's nothing they can do... they tinkered with the door so that it shuts a little bit more tightly... but they said the problem is if they make it too tight - then I'll be running into a problem with closing the door. I would have to shut it with much bigger force. (their tinkering didn't really help in any way with the noise) They also warned me not to put extra seals in... because they might not fit... the door might not close as tightly.... I might get leaks in the rain and so on and so on. Seems like they know what you "shouldn't do" but they really don't know what they should do to fix the problem :(

Edited by kupony

I don't have much respect to Mechanics and experts at any Authorized Skoda Dealers ,  If I had not my car under warrenty I would never drive up to them for any check.  There are many many better mechanics in the world than those guys at Skoda Dealers.  I would call them as guys who can replace parts in your car , rather than they are able to fix something.   

I know they are polite and well dressed , building is clean and full of glass wall and shiny floor.   But unfortunetly they are able to replace somthing rather than fix.  Sad but true

The Octavia Scout is not a cheap car to buy as new, so that's why the high expectations are not met with customers. If you inform yourself from online car sites, you will read that the car is comfortable, quiet, etc. It's just like the video assistant in football - they try to convince you that what you see it's not true. You should really not tinker with seals and suspensions on a new car. Regarding the sound insulation there is no real solution, and regarding the suspension, there can be, if you are brave enough to tinker with it. On the good side the suspension/car are ok for two situations: to drive with high speed on tarmac, and to drive with 4-5 people and full of luggages on a really perfect highway.

This might have been posted elsewhere, and I have not done it myself, but...

- Roll the window all the way down

- With the door open, stand in front of the inside of the door

- grab firmly with both hands at the top of the door

- place your knee against the inside of the door

- GENTLY but firmly, pull your arms towards you to GENTLY bend the door SLIGHTLY.

This, I am told, is a trick of the trade for this specific problem.

The amount of force to be applied varies from person to person, but you can apply common sense...

It is not really a big bend - it is just allowing the top of the door to seal tighter.

Better to do it less than more.

Worth a shot, I guess. My Octavia did this noise, even after they replaced door seals... I got rid of it before trying the trick I just mentioned.

Thanks for the bending door tip - I'll give it a go later on. I noticed the awful wind noise yesterday; I kept turning the radio down to make sure it wasn't the music I was listening to!

Good morning all,

i do have to agree istvan. The skoda brand is not a cheap car now. And while I agree, there are some good points! The  lack of refinement at this cost level is poor. The strange thing I find, by leaving the air con fan on, this seems to hide the external noise more than the radio. Maybe it’s the race to make cars lighter and more fuel efficient with small engines that means  sound insulation is sacrificed. Weakness areas for me are the doors (feel hollow and poor seals) and engine noise, so maybe bulkhead lacking sound insulation. 

• 5 months later...

Hi all, 

Some of you atleast might have already read my previous comments. I have sold my octavia after two years of hassle free ownership. 

I have bought a 2017 model C Class, and I must say that it's not considerably quiet either after 130 kmph. Add a simple d seals from Ebay and have some peace of mind with your car. Dont think too much, and I realised that a bmw 3 series is even more noisier than c class. May be Audi A4 bit quieter. So every car has its pros and cons. I miss my octavia some times, it was indeed a great car and the cockpit was neatly laid out and useful shortcuts on steering wheel. 

With my c class I am still troubled with buttons on center console and lack of short cuts on steering wheels. Even a hazard lamp I cant activate without looking.

Have fun with your skoda, it's indeed a great car. More car for the money.

Now what shall I do buy e class?? No way, be happy with you have.. :)

• 8 months later...

Anybody had succes with this matter? 

Top part of the door would be very hard to fill the gap, how high the seal has to be, also these chinese seals with fake 3M adhesive looks like crap. I don't even want to order this. 

On 09/01/2017 at 10:45, Redgarden said:

Mine is the same. Driving above 100 km/h it sounds like something is loose outside the window, flapping really fast in the wind. When it rains, I can see that the flapping noise corresponds to the way the streams of water moves on the side window just where the mirror is fastened. 

Very annoying! 

I have also noticed exactly this... (Not from mirror, although its noisy too)

With the prevalence of CAD and computer modeling I would think even a monkey could do a better job....they must only hire squirrels!