Boy racer days are over......

I think the PX offer on the Fabia will decide things. They range from £6500(Arnold Clark) to £8000 (Evans Halshaw)

Do you have a hatch or estate? If the latter, I might be interested :)

Ouch that's made me think! I race to work to airport now and then , can be soo easily lead into it.

Yeah. It's so easy my Satnav warns me of all the static yellow perils, but you never know when you are being followed by unmarked traffic cop, or zapped by a hidden mobile. 

In my case it was sheer stupidity, if I hadn't beat the cop away from the lights, he probably wouldn't have bothered following me.  53mph was my average speed over half a mile, he told me my peak speed was in excess of 70mph, but it would be recorded on the  ticket at 53mph, so I suppose he did me a favour, really.

• Like 2

It pains me to admit this but years ago I was caught by a speed camera coming off a dual-carriageway to a single lane road doing around 90mph in my MK1 vRS.

Obviously I was ready for the book to be thrown at me but, amazingly, Cornwall Police sent a very polite letter saying (something like) "As this is a first offence we are on an initiative to educate rather than drag people through the Courts so see this a a polite warning and any further infringement will be dealt with accordingly".

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of this. As others have said no need to necessarily chop the car in but it's obviously your choice and decision so go with what feels right and makes you happy! Let us know what you end up swapping into :-)

• Like 1

It pains me to admit this but years ago I was caught by a speed camera coming off a dual-carriageway to a single lane road doing around 90mph in my MK1 vRS.

Obviously I was ready for the book to be thrown at me but, amazingly, Cornwall Police sent a very polite letter saying (something like) "As this is a first offence we are on an initiative to educate rather than drag people through the Courts so see this a a polite warning and any further infringement will be dealt with accordingly".

I would like to think I will be dealt with in a similar fashion, but don't think i'll be that lucky.

I am not worried about the consequences (other than my personal pride of having a clean license for 53 years, being damaged)

My wife has been telling me for years I'm too old to be driving about like a lunatic, & recent events have made me conscious of my own mortality. I don't doubt my driving ability, although, almost certainly, my reactions aren't as keen as they used to be, but you can never take into account the other guy. Let us just say, I have got my myself into some compromising situations since acquiring the vRS, which probably luck more than judgement has seen me come out OK.

I just think I have been pushing my luck too far.

By any chance was it was a 13 or 63 plate silver unmarked BMW that pulled you?

Instead of a hybrid why not get another fabia but just more frugal?

It was dark blue or black. Didn't get the year. 

Why don't I get another Fabia? Long story, but mainly treatment by dealer & SUK didn't inspire confidence, & also not very comfortable on long journeys.

It was dark blue or black. Didn't get the year. 

Why don't I get another Fabia? Long story, but mainly treatment by dealer & SUK didn't inspire confidence, & also not very comfortable on long journeys.

Fair play I'm 33 and have already hung up my boy racer days already, kids took priority

I think pretty much everyone speeds at times. Sometimes just takes being caught to make you think I should probably stop. The friend I mentioned who was let off despite being caught doing over 50 in a 30 slowed down instantly as soon as he had a kid.

I try and stick to the limits with fuel economy in mind mainly. Do love going fast though, whether it's in a car, on a bike, jumping out of a plane etc etc!

• Like 1

In my case it was sheer stupidity, if I hadn't beat the cop away from the lights, he probably wouldn't have bothered following me.  53mph was my average speed over half a mile, he told me my peak speed was in excess of 70mph, but it would be recorded on the  ticket at 53mph, so I suppose he did me a favour, really.

Count yourself really lucky as 70 in a 40 is instant ban territory.

• Like 1

I was done for doing 70mph on the M6 north bound, it was 1:30am no traffick around but a temporary 50mph limit had gone up which i missed!

My own fault but £300 and 4 points!!!

I was done for doing 70mph on the M6 north bound, it was 1:30am no traffick around but a temporary 50mph limit had gone up which i missed!

Ouch!

Ouch!

So easily done, especially at night and I'm of the opinion it is often not your fault. One set of signs, along with confusing road furniture is really not enough and a lot of people miss them. There should be reminder signs every 400 metres or so, passing two sets is more an intentional breaking the limit. 4 points and £300 is excessive and not justifiable in the circumstance (3am and temporary limit) and dare I say it if you were an illegal immigrant, drug dealer, on benefits workshy, or a general lowlife, you would get away with just a warning. Edited by xman
  • Like 2

So easily done, especially at night and I'm of the opinion it is often not your fault. One set of signs, along with confusing road furniture is really not enough and a lot of people miss them. There should be reminder signs every 400 metres or so, passing two sets is more an intentional breaking the limit. 4 points and £300 is excessive and not justifiable in the circumstance (3am and temporary limit) and dare I say it if you were an illegal immigrant, drug dealer, on benefits workshy, or a general lowlife, you would get away with just a warning.

Sign posting is sometimes terrible!

I was on the motorway the other week in a 50mph limit.. Fine, but it never said it ended. It was only after a few miles of no reminders and other people getting fed up and speeding off that eventually made me think, stuff it.

• Like 2

Gutted :(.

You wouldnt mind, but i bet there were no workers or anything going on anyway.

Just cash grabbing isnt it.

• Like 1

Gutted :(.

You wouldnt mind, but i bet there were no workers or anything going on anyway.

Just cash grabbing isnt it.

Had the cruise control set to 70 and just didn't notice, it was a short stretch and yep nobody around!

• Like 1

Late on and reduced speed limits at roadworks and many get caught out, and the Officers of the law know exactly where to settle their selves.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-33010343

Sometimes they must just have a wee smile at some of the easy pulls they get.

(a Gumballer just doing their regular commute.)

post-86161-0-73213500-1466081375_thumb.jpg

post-86161-0-64300500-1466081389_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoneOffSKi

I may be interested in some of your goodies have the TMC tuning box or ITG Maxogen sold yet? :notme: 

I haven't even advertised them yet. But, yes either individually or as a package. Open to offers.

Well after 53 years of unblemished motoring history, my card has finally been marked. Caught by a "plain clothed" BMW doing 53 in a 40 zone at 4.30am, on the way to Manchester airport.

No complaints he caught me bang to rights, but I always said that when I got caught for speeding, I would quit the boy racer scene & drive something a tad more gentile.

So the vRS is up for sale & I think I will join the Prius club, or maybe some other hybrid.

Lots of goodies will be up for sale, including, Bluespark tuning box, TMC tuning box, ITG Maxogen, H&R RARB.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 years as a vRS driver teararsing all over the place, but now time to join the Sunday motoring club.

Making a big mistake? Of course I am, but time to grow old graciously.

I got my NIP today, which says, as I thought 53Mph in a 40 zone. It also hinted that a speed awareness course might be offered. Here's hoping, I don't want to spoil my unblemished licence.

• Like 1