EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 1

gadgetman

It's the uncertainly that'll **** everything up. If we're going get gone quick and establish the new normal.

This hanging around waiting on those Westminster self serving shower of ***** to maneuver things to suit them to their personal advantage is just no use.

yep, to use my above analogy, get the drunkard out the door and carry on.

I'm thinking of starting a company to sell widgets; The US demands my widgets meet US spec; India specifies they can only be sold in a spec that conforms to Indias rules an regs on widgets.

Japan and Australia have another spec I need to conform to in order to allow my widgets to be sold there.

All these different specs mean I'll have to change the tools on my widget machine in order to allow me to sell the same widget in various specs to suit different countries rules and regs on widgets.

If only there was a market where I could sell a standardised widget. That way I could save on tool and production costs and get a certificate that said my widget was safe and allowed to be sold globally.

I'm thinking of starting a company to sell widgets; The US demands my widgets meet US spec; India specifies they can only be sold in a spec that conforms to Indias rules an regs on widgets.

Japan and Australia have another spec I need to conform to in order to allow my widgets to be sold there.

All these different specs mean I'll have to change the tools on my widget machine in order to allow me to sell the same widget in various specs to suit different countries rules and regs on widgets.

If only there was a market where I could sell a standardised widget. That way I could save on tool and production costs and get a certificate that said my widget was safe and allowed to be sold globally.

No need to most items are to ISO spec, or TUV (German) spec or other worldwide specs..

PS in the UK before EU regs became enforced Climbing gear was to B.S. or UIAA (French) spec............to make the EU regs (EN), they just used the B.S. & UIAA & put EN in the front of the spec & charged all companies about £10K to get each different item to the "new" EN standard....which the items did as it was a reused existing standard....that forced a nice local rope manufacturer to go bust as they could not afford the new extra expense & almost flattened several other UK factories...

If you delve deeper into this you will find that the switch over to EN regs cost a huge amount of money & was a waste of time, we did not get any "new" regs, just reused old ones. & even then in certain areas stuff has to be to ISO or other specs & not EN specs as there is not an EN spec for that item!

PPS just to add, the EU was responsible for forcing the manufactures to add in multiple languages a very big piece of paper (folded many times) called an instruction book for every item, including simple items like karabiners & slings............really good for the environment & saving paper.....NOT!!!

Edited by fabdavrav

Hedging, Shorting, Trading and basically the financial markets are filling their boots and playing Monopoly with other peoples money.

Next years bonuses to these Traders & Merchant Bankers is going to be rather nice.

Nothing like uncertainty to make many more millionaires and billionaires.

Many in the city will be planing that new Holiday Home abroad or Yacht upgrade.

That s what they get for trying harder at school than we did.

That s what they get for trying harder at school than we did.

Or going to the right school ie Eton, Harrow etc where you get an inside track even if you are a bit dim.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

Merkel and Juncker have stated that there will be no informal discussions with the UK regarding brexit until article 50 is triggered. Nicola Sturgeon is meeting the European parliament president .Martin Schulz to discuss brexit ?

Merkel and Juncker have stated that there will be no informal discussions with the UK regarding brexit until article 50 is triggered. Nicola Sturgeon is meeting the European parliament president .Martin Schulz to discuss brexit ?

Presumable to discuss if Scotland can have a "Find and Replace" the words United Kingdom for Scotland in the EU legislation.  I use EURLEX quite a bit in my job, customs.  Apparently there are about a million peices of legal text, some national implementations but many across all states and external of course!

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/statistics/eu-law-statistics.html

Edited by lol-lol

Or going to the right school ie Eton, Harrow etc where you get an inside track even if you are a bit dim.

I think the point was that some on here are upset to think people are profiting from the Brexit turmoil.

I say good luck to them. I am not smart enough to profit from it.

I think the point was that some on here are upset to think people are profiting from the Brexit turmoil.

I say good luck to them. I am not smart enough to profit from it.

I was pretty imprssed to hear Mr O say that BoE bought quarter of a trillion in extra non-UK currency to deal with the BREXIT as a hedge.  They could well be making 25 Billion on that call.

I only made a couple of grand by hedging the possibility of the Conservatiives and then the Leave turkey voters voting for being the Thanksgiving dinner for the markets and spoke to a number of buisiness who also hedged just before the vote, made sense to hedge an extra amount as much as possible when it looked like there was even a 40/60 chance of BREXIT but that only works for a few weeks if convert much of your liquid cash to EUR/USD/YEN and then you have to do business from cash you are still generating.

The really big hit comes in August when customs exchange rates at the new normal, apparently 1.33 USD/GBP or thereabout, combined with the annual annivesary of the rapid decline of fuel prices means annual inflation will rise like a scalded cats, interesting in time for a significant rise in benefits/civil service pension for the November review of such things, so many unintended consequence 4 the Cons.

Edited by lol-lol

...I believe the 'EU project' is on the verge of break down and to remain in would represent a far bigger risk to us than being on the outside forging our way with the rest of the world.

The project was doomed to fail from the outset, so it was only a matter of time.

Forgive me for quoting your own reply in another post: "And you know for certain that this will be the case because...? You have no idea, just like the rest of us."

I'm also opposed to the EU riding 'rough shod' over the views of member states when they don't accord with the intergrationist views of the un-elected elite. 

But that doesn't happen very often, does it? Greece is an exemption, of course. I had the impression that Brexiters thought Greece has been treated far too generously. But I'm always willing to admit my mistakes ;)

If the EU was a company, the administrators would have been appointed years ago and the executives sent to jail for corruption and misappropriating company funds. 

Is that how you do it in the UK? Here in Sweden, executives caught with their fingers in the jam jar get sacked while retaining their huge pension schemes, laughing all the way to the bank... thought it was the same all over Europe. The Chinese sometimes handle it differently (not sure I prefer their alternative, though).

Edited by swedishskoda
  • Like 1

Tata have decided to invest hundreds of millions into the plant at ijmuiden and transfer the work from Port Talbot. Nicely done Boris and Co

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

I also read on the International Business Times website (but OK, that was Monday and things changes fast): "Tata Steel is said to be close to taking a call on retaining its Port Talbot plant despite the UK deciding to leave the European Union. Brexit has led to a slump in the value of the sterling which in turn has increased the chances of the industry's survival...

A lower pound is understood to make it more expensive for countries such as China to dump their steel into the country, one of the primary threats behind the UK steel crisis.

When God closes a door he sometimes opens a window. Or not.

• Like 1

Curiouser and curiouser...

"The SNP in Westminster is reportedly set to demand that it be recognised as Her Majesty’s Opposition now that Angus Robertson technically commands the support of 14 more MPs than the Labour leader, following his no-confidence vote."

From the Guardian, so biased of course ;)

• Like 1

Including himself there are 54 SNP MP's.

If 2 had not had to resign from the SNP while under investigation there would be 56 of them.

He might have their assurances that they would all support him, but that does not mean that the sitting Labour MP's would not 

vote as Labour wanted them to even if they have no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn MP.

Angus Roberson MP is just a chancer dancer and prancer & he will keep bumping his gums on anything that will get the SNP a headline.

(he who has had the most expenses claims rejected of any serving MP.)

Well it seems like there is no going back, no re-vote, no undoing of what, in hindsight perhaps to more than 50% is a mistake....

But what happens now?

I looked for lists of in and out campaigners and businesses to see who landed us in this mess and who to not give any business to in the future.  As before the vote, most of the major people/businesses wanted remain, so that makes life easier-is there a definitive list of out supporters?

Wetherspoons is one who will never see me, my family or anything we organise or have a say in, again

Any others?

Peaceful protest....

Including himself there are 54 SNP MP's.

If 2 had not had to resign from the SNP while under investigation there would be 56 of them.

He might have their assurances that they would all support him, but that does not mean that the sitting Labour MP's would not 

vote as Labour wanted them to even if they have no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn MP.

Angus Roberson MP is just a chancer dancer and prancer & he will keep bumping his gums on anything that will get the SNP a headline.

(he who has had the most expenses claims rejected of any serving MP.)

Ahh good to know they're the same all over the UK. Self serving and couldn't really give two hoots (Unless it suits them to do so).

Which all 27 members have said isn't happening.

Even if some did support it, Germany, France etc can veto any deal the EU comes up with making them rethink.

Anyone who thinks we'll leave with the same terms, just without any legal or migration obligations is off their head. Because if we get that deal, every member will have their far right parties demanding the same & the EU will cease to exist.

Anyone with any sense could forecast this as correct

...and I get flamed when saying Leave voters did not think it through

Read what I said.

If we leave and if it is a success the EU is toast.

If the EU is toast, the EEA/EEC should be retained as it works for anyone who wants to be in it.

That would be just the trade agreements and nothing else.

I didn't say we'll get it, I didn't even say we should ask for it.

I said this is what will happen if we leave and do just fine without the EU.

As I've said elsewhere if they don't do something about the total free movement (free movement of labour was mentioned as an alternative) they will implode anyway.

Well it seems like there is no going back, no re-vote, no undoing of what, in hindsight perhaps to more than 50% is a mistake....

But what happens now?

I looked for lists of in and out campaigners and businesses to see who landed us in this mess and who to not give any business to in the future.  As before the vote, most of the major people/businesses wanted remain, so that makes life easier-is there a definitive list of out supporters?

Wetherspoons is one who will never see me, my family or anything we organise or have a say in, again

Any others?

Peaceful protest....

Really.

You're going to avoid UK companies, because they didn't agree with you and put their interests first?

Exporters such as Dyson and JCB. Would you refuse to give them business if they start doing better due to being out.

Maybe manufacturing jobs will start to come back here.

Maybe people will start factories up in the welsh valleys and the north/midlands again?

Ship building in Scotland actually gets an advantage now, because they don't have to tender to all EU countries if we're out?

So it's not black and white, and everyone voted or talked about what was best from their point of view.

If we're all going to not talk to people because they disagreed, then we're screwed by being petty.

But what happens now?

Any others?

Peaceful protest....

A fair few

Hiscock insurance services

Reebok

Numis Securities

Pattisere Valerie

Foyles Investment Group

Reliance Security Group

Argent group

Just to name a few

But what happens now?

Any others?

Peaceful protest....

Dyson I would suggest as a supporter of BREXIT.    His company moved his manufacturing to Malaysia and now does the warehousing and some R&D in UK.

Oddly Malaysia lost if preferential trade status recently with the EU/UK due to its GDP per capita rising above the limit  and is now trying to get it back via a new FTA with the EU.

Who else makes hoovers that are good, any recommendations?   

Angus Robertson MP got married earlier this year to someone that was one of Alex Salmond MP's Special Adviser which is nice.

It was nice when she was the one involved in £150.000 being given by the Scottish Government to T In the Park which is run by a rather successful company that makes huge profits running T-In the Park.

actually if you follow up on the Telegraph story Robertson's claims were paid in the end when he produced documentation. His claims were for things like council tax whereas others like Mr Kinnock wanted us to fund two coffee machines. 

Robertson is doing rather more for us winning friends in Europe than that moron Farage. For example http://tvthek.orf.at/program/ZIB-2/1211/ZIB-2/13117502/Gespraech-mit-dem-schottischen-Politiker-Robertson/13117577

Dyson I would suggest as a supporter of BREXIT.    His company moved his manufacturing to Malaysia and now does the warehousing and some R&D in UK.

Oddly Malaysia lost if preferential trade status recently with the EU/UK due to its GDP per capita rising above the limit  and is now trying to get it back via a new FTA with the EU.

Who else makes hoovers that are good, any recommendations?

Oddly enough, when I was on their site about a year go, looking to do some work with them, they were making things there and I heard talk about moving work back.

I'd still rather pay them some money than another manufacturer of vacuum cleaners that make it all in the far east too.

At least their cleaners, hand driers and fans work very well.

That of you could go German and pay a lot of money for a now neutered bagged vacuum cleaner.

Oh and Hoover are a US company (or were):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hoover_Company

They also closed their plant down in the UK:

In 1986, the Hoover family sold the company.%5B13%5D It was acquired by Maytag Corporation in 1989.%5B13%5D

On Friday, 6 March 2009, Hoover confirmed that it would discontinue production of washing machines and other laundry products at its Merthyr Tydfil factory, Mid Glamorgan from Saturday, 14 March 2009; giving the reason, the company stated that it could no longer manufacture competitively priced laundry products at the plant.

Hoover had initially announced its closure intentions on Tuesday, 18 November 2008, beginning a period of staff consultation. The company was established in the town over sixty years ago, its factory at Pentrebach, Merthyr Tydfil, opening on 12 October 1948.

Though 337 jobs were lost because of this decision, Hoover UK anticipated retaining its headquarters, logistics, storage and after sales service functions at the site, with some 113 workers retained.

At least Dyson was honest about what was best in his opinion.

Edited by cheezemonkhai