Quick eBay question

mattievrs

You would probably have to pay the postage for both ways (even though it was advertised as free when bought), as the seller will have the right to be reimbursed for their costs.

Different matter had the item been faulty.

You would probably have to pay the postage for both ways (even though it was advertised as free when bought), as the seller will have the right to be reimbursed for their costs.

Different matter had the item been faulty.

Got no issue with the return postage being paid for by me. Can you honestly say that I owe postage for an item that is advertised with free postage? What about my rights to be fully reimbursed for what I paid? Edited by mattievrs

If you sent it back as non wanted then you would be at the mercy of the seller as to how much they reimbursed you. You would be lucky to be honest that they accepted it back, simply because you didn't actually want it, but they'd be within their rights to apply a restocking charge, and sometimes they state postage is non refundable.

If you sent it back as non wanted then you would be at the mercy of the seller as to how much they reimbursed you. You would be lucky to be honest that they accepted it back, simply because you didn't actually want it, but they'd be within their rights to apply a restocking charge, and sometimes they state postage is non refundable.

They haven't stated a restocking fee and they clearly state any returns for any reason will be fully refunded. In this instance it hasn't.

Got no issue with the return postage being paid for by me. Can you honestly say that I owe postage for an item that is advertised with free postage? What about my rights to be fully reimbursed for what I paid?

Yep, you can't expect someone to pay postage on an item you simply don't want. The free postage is offered on condition you buy the item. As I said if it was faulty then a different matter.

So how much have they given you back?

Item cost 23.99

Postage was free

Return postage for me 96p

Refunded 20.00

So they have charged 3.99 for free postage

I might add that I posted the item back in the same envelope as it came in, in the same exact way. The envelope was even already used when it got to me....

I've had full refunds a couple of times in similar circumstances.  Seems harsh on the seller, and I wouldn't have objected to them subtracting a contribution to their outward  P+P costs, but was never asked to.

Both times were 'business' type sellers rather than private individuals.

To be fair, I think the seller has been rather reasonable considering they weren't at any fault at all. Nothing wrong with the item apart from you changed your mind. In all honesty why should they pay to be mucked about?

Sellers get a tough time on ebay now and seem to be able to be held to ransom by buyers and it's simply not fair.

I sold a gearbox earlier this year for a Jaguar S Type. Item was clearly described as manual, the buyer paid instantly but then the next day asked me for a refund because he wanted an automatic box. I told him no and I'm looking forward to him collecting the item. He eventually collected it after 2 weeks when he realised I wasn't backing down :D

Item cost 23.99

Postage was free

Return postage for me 96p

Refunded 20.00

So they have charged 3.99 for free postage

I might add that I posted the item back in the same envelope as it came in, in the same exact way. The envelope was even already used when it got to me....

Sounds fair enough. 

In the nicest possible way, you have wasted their time and effort, plus they've now got to relist and resell. £4 is nothing to pay considering. 

As said, sounds quite reasonable considering you didn't want the item and it wasn't faulty  :thumbup:

Seller would also have fees to pay from eBay and PayPal that they won't get refunded, plus their reasonable travel costs to the post office etc.  :)

• Like 1