Malware on dad's pc

adamal

Something my dad has downloaded has unintentionally has screwed up his pc when using it for browsing. It's adware or malware of some kind which keeps popping up in a new browser window and sctewing up the browser. I've tried my usual means of getting rid to no avail (eg uminstalling unknown programs, defender scan, ccleaner fixes and malwarebytes scan).

Is there a better free option out there that anyone can recommend please, preferably one that doesn't slow the pc or insist on 20 other downloads of stuff like I am trying to get rid of! before giving me the program?

Pc is a hp laptop running Windows 10 with very little in way of programs other than Office and the bloatware that it got shipped with (most of which I have removed anyway).

Many thanks in advance

Adam

Thanks guys.

Lee: is that malwarebyes link the one that's a free trial (can't open in work). If so tried that but not in safe mode.

Not tried any of the others though so this gives me a good starter.

Thanks again

Adam

Your best bet is to simply reformat the full the lot to be safe. These things bury themselves deep into files and become invisible from other software trying to find it.

Your best bet is to simply reformat the full the lot to be safe. These things bury themselves deep into files and become invisible from other software trying to find it.

Tron deletes everything. Quite literally. It takes hours for the program to run, but does a good job.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser with no luck, and frankly reformatting feels a last resort for now.  Am giving Tron a go, it incorporates MalwareBytes I think and its been at it for 3 hours already!

Thanks again guys.

Download Tron https://www.reddit.com/r/TronScript/comments/4mzamk/tron_v911_20160607_aq_fix_crash_on_mexican_locale/. Save to desktop.

Restart the PC in safe mode with networking.

Run the program.

Will get rid of all the nastys.

Thanks for the great resource, I have added it to my recover folder.

@adamal Running Malwarebytes in safe mode is best, I have tried it both ways and it finds more this way; this is true for most AM/AV scanners, although a few DONT work at all in safe mode (which is crazy).

There's the old favourite- spybot, and also ROGUE KILLER ( http://www.adlice.com/software/roguekiller/) ,which unfortunately shows bank stuff like Raport as malware. Ref MALWARE BYTES, there's Malware Bytes anti malware ( MBAM ) and Malware Anti Toot kit( MBAR), available. There's also Super Anti Spyware .

For pop up boxes, there's ADBLOCK EDGE & PLUS, and another usefull one is Ghostery, all best run on Firefox. Be aware ,that there's a lot of programmes out there which would like to get downloaded, so that they can install programs to tell you you have nasties on your PC.

Another thing to be aware of is that even some reputable names will try to install some other bits of software ,hidden in ticked links in install menus ( dead easy to accept if in a hurry-so READ before accepting) --Chrome & Norton are two that come to mind.

A good trick I have used in the past to stop virus running on startup and reinfecting the PC even after a malware bytes run is to use msconfig command but this is now in the 'startup' tab from Windows 8 onwards. You can usually find the program that's running on startup and manually stop it. Two other really good bits of kit to have in your arsenal are combofix and Windows Repair (All In One) tweaking.com. Both can be downloaded from www.bleepingcomputer.com infact that's the only reliable source I would use.

A good trick I have used in the past to stop virus running on startup and reinfecting the PC even after a malware bytes run is to use msconfig command but this is now in the 'startup' tab from Windows 8 onwards. You can usually find the program that's running on startup and manually stop it. Two other really good bits of kit to have in your arsenal are combofix and Windows Repair (All In One) tweaking.com. Both can be downloaded from www.bleepingcomputer.com infact that's the only reliable source I would use.

Combofix doesnt work on Win8 or upwards, and isnt for the faint hearted; you should only use it if you know what you are doing, or being hand held through it by someone from bleepingcomputers

• Like 1

Thanks guys, all useful for future reference.  Tron seemingly did the trick run in safe mode with networking - it took forever, but its seemingly a winner.

• Like 1

Tron does all the hardwork for you. It's also good to use on any new device, as it also gets rid of the free rubbish manufacturers put on.

Tron does all the hardwork for you. It's also good to use on any new device, as it also gets rid of the free rubbish manufacturers put on.

The only thing I dont like - and I cannot understand why he wrote it in - is setting the swap file to auto; this causes no end of issues with fragmented HDD's, although I suppose SSDs TRIM function might mitigate it; however to be safe, I never have a swap file on my main SSD.

And defragging the swap file area of a HDD is a PITA.

• Like 1

Forgot about Tron, I used MB on a mates computer 752 entires......most were PUPs from Chrome & modzilla/firefox...no supprise there...the five Trojans were a nasty find.

I agree defragging the swap/page files is a pain, but easy so long as you are quick & do not run any other programmes, basically settings, no page file, then re-boot computer then defrag that partition, then set new pagefile & size, then reboot computer I think was way to set a new continuous page/swap file. I have been moving my partitions around due to win10 upgrade & have a 32GB three piece page file....still need to sort it....