Tips for driving a diesel

Our old FIAT diesel liked the "Italian tune-up" technique too.  Take it to a lightly policed 10 mile piece of dual carriageway, thrash it flat out there and back and give it a proper clean out.

SWMBO the next day, "My car's running nicely today"

Me, " :giggle: "

1.4TDI- not a speed merchant, but get a Southern scenic gourmet on a straight and ( unless it's a fancy car), hit the juice in second at 20, change up fast and let him watch your smoke. personally, despite what others say - I've found no difference in fuel in mine over 80k, EXCEPT that the EGR needs regular blasts to keep it dirt free/oil & cambelt need changing as pre mr Skoda's recommendation. Petrol cars need revs to give the grunt, derv are the opposite. BUT- come winter- FORGET sitting on the drive/road waiting for the engine to warm- it won't till you make it work. SKODA- take note- Diesel cars need a heated windscreen.

OH- AND LAST, BUT NOT LEAST- IF the tyres on it are still original- get the speed rating checked- mine had lowest speed rating fitted, whilst cat could easlly exceed that.

My first astra wouldn't heat up either until I drove it for a few miles. Once I've had the car a few months I'll invest in alloys and uniroyal tyres.

Also remember the gearing will be much taller in the diesel than small normally aspirated petrols. Don't expect to be in the same gear at the same speed.

You may end up in third around town where you would have been in fourth or fifth in a small petrol.

The rev counter is your friend, the 1.4TDi doesn't like to be below 1600rpm.

Lee

If it's a new(ish) car, it shouldn't need any fuel additives.

Apart from that, I've only one other tip for driving a diesel.  Straight to the nearest dealer and swop for a petrol.

• Like 1

Also remember the gearing will be much taller in the diesel than small normally aspirated petrols. Don't expect to be in the same gear at the same speed.

You may end up in third around town where you would have been in fourth or fifth in a small petrol.

The rev counter is your friend, the 1.4TDi doesn't like to be below 1600rpm.

Lee

1600? Mine hates being below 1800 due to the vibrations I get, part of the kearning process I suppose.

I have been using 3rd pretty much constantly except on motorways

1600? Mine hates being below 1800 due to the vibrations I get, part of the kearning process I suppose.

I have been using 3rd pretty much constantly except on motorways

Yeh mine growls and grumbles below 1800, I don't even think about more than half throttle until it's above 2000.

Jaysus, my old non-pd 1.9tdi will happily bumble along at 28mph on level ground, on the idle in 5th... handy in town... totally different old lump though i spose to the 1.4 :D

• Like 1

Jaysus, my old non-pd 1.9tdi will happily bumble along at 28mph on level ground, on the idle in 5th... handy in town... totally different old lump though i spose to the 1.4 :D

The 1.9PD will happily pull 1000rpm too. 

But the 1.4TDi 3 cylinder doesn't like low rpm, it will still pull but vibrates it's head off. Probably more to do with it being a 3 cylinder diesel developed by chopping a cylinder off the 4 cylinder unit than the smaller cubic capacity.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Oh yes it will happily (almost) do that but it won't thank me for accelerating hard from low revs, it can do it but doesn't like it.

Ive had diesel for years and will continue to do so...possibly. Learn where your torque band is from your hand book/brochure is. I find everyday driving is achievable between 1600 and 2200 rpm on my Polo. Only time I give the car some serious revs is joining motorways, climbing hills locally from slow speeds and overtaking.

I don't normally go into 5th until about 60mph  on A roads.

And I have never had any problems with DPFs on my current car or previous Fabia 1.6TDi CR.

What car and engine is it you've changed to?

I have the 1.9 PD lump and it happily sits in fourth gear at 30mph trundling along with next to no vibration, unless I have got used to it ...

As people have said above - don't take it to the redline as you're wasting your time. It all depends on turbos, mapping and engine, but generally speaking - three and a half K is time to change up a gear and get back into the major torque territory. If you're giving it some stick and changing at three and a half K the speed limit should very quickly be reached :bandit:

JRJG

What car and engine is it you've changed to?

I have the 1.9 PD lump and it happily sits in fourth gear at 30mph trundling along with next to no vibration, unless I have got used to it ...

As people have said above - don't take it to the redline as you're wasting your time. It all depends on turbos, mapping and engine, but generally speaking - three and a half K is time to change up a gear and get back into the major torque territory. If you're giving it some stick and changing at three and a half K the speed limit should very quickly be reached :bandit:

JRJG

I have a 1.4 Skoda Fabia Ambiente. I find the 3k mark ok to change gear but will give 3.5k a go and see if it helps. I over rev sometimes when I'm changing down.

I do still get vibration but have learned that it is due to mine only being a 3 cylinder. In time I'll hopefully not notice it

Ive had diesel for years and will continue to do so...possibly. Learn where your torque band is from your hand book/brochure is. I find everyday driving is achievable between 1600 and 2200 rpm on my Polo. Only time I give the car some serious revs is joining motorways, climbing hills locally from slow speeds and overtaking.

I don't normally go into 5th until about 60mph on A roads.

And I have never had any problems with DPFs on my current car or previous Fabia 1.6TDi CR.

What part of the handbook will that section be under?

Yes, we need to know if this is the Pumpe Duse three-cylinder 1.4tdi, which only has 6 valves, EGR, no DPF and a plain, wastegated turbo, not a variable vane unit (these latter turbos provide boost from much lower revs).

Or is it a newer Common Rail 1.4tdi, which I believe have 12 valves (don't know about their turbo or DPF status).

I have owned an earlier one, as said, they don't do much below 1800 revs, and can be VERY vibratory at lower revs once re-mapped. But over 2000, especially over 3000, sounds quite Porsche-like!

Richard

Yes, we need to know if this is the Pumpe Duse three-cylinder 1.4tdi, which only has 6 valves, EGR, no DPF and a plain, wastegated turbo, not a variable vane unit (these latter turbos provide boost from much lower revs).

Or is it a newer Common Rail 1.4tdi, which I believe have 12 valves (don't know about their turbo or DPF status).

I have owned an earlier one, as said, they don't do much below 1800 revs, and can be VERY vibratory at lower revs once re-mapped. But over 2000, especially over 3000, sounds quite Porsche-like!

Richard

How can I find that out Richard?

Engine code will give it, printed on the service shedule and chassis sticker in handbook and boot floor

Ie find the engine code, post it here and peeps will know what youve got in about 1.2seconds :)

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

Do you mean the Air Filter, or have you experienced as Pollen Filter not changed affection the fuel economy?

I see from another post that the OP's car is a Mk1 Fabia and not a Mk2.

Edited by GoneOffSKi