Adaptive Cruise Control

On Octavia 3 which have ACC, can it be switched to operate as regular cruise control?

Also can the front assist be switched off?

Thanks

Front assist can be switched off.

As for ACC, why would you want the cruse control not slow down as you approach cars in front? You can override the ACC at any time with throttle/brake etc just like you would normal dumb cruise control.

All you would gain by switching it off is the ability to run into cars in front if you don't switch it off in time.

Having used old cruise controls for years IMHO ACC is one of the few techno driver aids that actually works and is quite useful

• Like 3

All you would gain by switching it off is the ability to run into cars in front if you don't switch it off in time.

+1 - my thoughts exactly  :think:

Gaz

Its kinda annoying that it cant be used a regular CC.

When its winter it doesnt take much snow to clog it up enough for it to go blind. And then you are without CC.

• Like 1

Replies 1 and 2-  there's your answer to the why from reply 3 (Gromle). There are other answers to the why question, but I'm not going into them here. The original post was 'can you' not why 'should you' or 'why should you not' or 'would you'

Looks then looks like with an ACC car it is  ACC or no cruise control at all - no regular cruise control available.

• Like 1

I have at least not found a way to use it as a regular CC.

But I do think its possible in Golfs, so its probably just a software decision made by Skoda.

Never had the option to turn off the acc on my previous Audi's. Isn't the sensor heated? So it will melt away the snow.

It does give off some heat, but when its wet snow or slush on the roads the little heat it gives off is inadequate to melt the snow.

Its not so bad when its really cold and the snow is dry.

Pretty sure the option is there in the same place as to turn off the front assist...... 

As you clearly are unhappy about the comments about switching it off, can I ask why you want to?

As you clearly are unhappy about the comments about switching it off, can I ask why you want to?

Thanks, but genuinely only interested in whether you can or not, really don't want any advice on whether you ever should or to get involved in a discussion about whether you should or should not. This could make a subject for a separate debate type thread, I was just just after answers to the 2 fairly specific questions in the original post.

Thanks again

Its not possible.

I've not heard of any manufacturer who allows ACC to be switched to standard cruise.

I guess its a safety thing so you dont forget it wont brake for you & hit the back of something perhaps.

Its not possible.

I've not heard of any manufacturer who allows ACC to be switched to standard cruise.

I guess its a safety thing so you dont forget it wont brake for you & hit the back of something perhaps.

you can turn it to normal cruise on a 3 series Bmw although I'd never turn it off as I love adaptive cruise :)

Just drove 200+ miles today on motorway and a class roads with ACC for the first time and love it - so much better than normal CC ! I'm a complete fan now :-) Just picked up the above car that 'sworrall' used to own and it's my first venture into Skoda. First impressions are v good and look forward to many more miles.

• Like 1

Just drove 200+ miles today on motorway and a class roads with ACC for the first time and love it - so much better than normal CC ! I'm a complete fan now :-) Just picked up the above car that 'sworrall' used to own and it's my first venture into Skoda. First impressions are v good and look forward to many more miles.

Glad you're liking it Walter and glad its gone to a car fan and not some random auction :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a courtesy car from Skoda as mine gone in for multiple warranty works. my car, octavia 2014, DSG 2.0

The courtesy car given is a Manual :envy: Octavia elegance. a bit disappointed but hey need things done quickly.

SO the courtesy car has adaptive cruise control. GREAT, but CRAP as its a manual !!!! had fun on the motorway till i had to shift gears from 6-4-5-4-6-4-6-5-6-4-6 gears through out my 1 hour journey.  

ACC is great BUT not so GREAT on a manual. in fact  POINTLESS. I do see the advantages but its half hearted on the manual. I wish I had it on my DSG elegance, my octavia literally got all the extras except the adaptive cruise control.

Juts my my two pennies worth, but ACC defiantly WORTH it on a auto, kinda worth it on manual.  but can defiantly see autos having more fun out of it. 

been driving octavia's for 3 years and do love them.  :sun:

Why on earth would you want to use cruise in snow that's so bad it blocks the sensor.   You should be in full control of your car in weather like that.

• Like 1

id imagine there would be insurance implications should something happen that could have been prevented by this safety feature, thats why car insurances are cheaper, abs, tc, acc etc etc all remove some driver error.

we have a small raised metal plate in the road where i enter work and the emergency braking system often operates, not good at 5am for the car behind me but rather than knock it off (VW commented on insurance implications) ive found a work around, dip the clutch

but in order to try helping here, can you not adjust the distance that it activates at and reduce it to as little as possible so it has less effect? I have several pre set settings on my vw but without reading the manual i cant say if you can tweak those even more

Why on earth would you want to use cruise in snow that's so bad it blocks the sensor. You should be in full control of your car in weather like that.

It doesnt have to be much snow to Block the sensor as long as its wet.

And CC in snow is no problem at all. Have been using for years without even beeing even close to have accident.

Each to their own but I think using automated systems in really bad weather is madness (talking about the UK here where traffic and roads leave a lot to be desired).

I'd always control the car myself in bad snow/rain etc where the road conditions can change at any moment, and because of other idiots on the road without common sense (speaking of the mini cooper that span out in front of me when it was snowing because they were going too fast)

Edited by skyjawa

Each to their own but I think using automated systems in really bad weather is madness (talking about the UK here where traffic and roads leave a lot to be desired).

I'd always control the car myself in bad snow/rain etc where the road conditions can change at any moment, and because of other idiots on the road without common sense (speaking of the mini cooper that span out in front of me when it was snowing because they were going too fast)

Well. 1 inch of snow and the traffic is crazy in GB.

In Norway no such problems. Never had any big problems with acc and winter-conditions.

• Like 1

In Norway no such problems. Never had any big problems with acc and winter-conditions.

Usally not a problem but it happens ,but then again the driving conditions are so bad that using acc is not a good plan. or driving behind a big truck whirling up snow in front of me it will give me a sensor warning.

1" of snow and everything in our country is crazy lol!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I came across this discussion as I was also looking for a way to change acc to a ordinary cc. Reason being I've just changed from 1.4tsi with CC to a new 1.5tsi ACT with ACC. I used to get 53mg on a long journey doing 75. Now with new 1.5 ACT and ACC I get only 42mg at 75mph. I believe it's ACC fault.