JD Power 2016 - good news for Skoda (and the Yeti)

docc

Some good news on reliability to counter some of the negatives for a change:

http://www.whatcar.com/news/skoda-tops-new-uk-vehicle-dependability-survey/

Skoda is the most dependable brand in the UK, with the fewest problems experienced by owners. That's according to the new J.D. Power UK Vehicle Dependability Survey (VDS), which ranks vehicle manufacturers and their models according to how reliable they are.

The 2016 survey took in the views from owners whose vehicles were 12-36 months old, asking them about problems they had experienced within the past year. Problems were grouped into eight categories, and included engine, gearbox and infotainment issues, as well as comments relating to the car's driving experience. Car makers were then ranked according to the number of problems received per 100 vehicles. The lower the score, the more dependable the car.

Czech brand Skoda scored the lowest mark, with just 62 vehicles per 100 having some sort of problem. Next came Japanese brand Suzuki with 79 problems per 100 vehicles, and in third place Korean brand Kia. Interestingly, Kia's sister brand, Hyundai, sits closer to the bottom of the list, with a score of 130 problems per 100 cars. The industry average was 113 problems per 100 cars.

This is the second consecutive time that Skoda has topped the list, having also been named as the most dependable brand in 2015.

At the bottom of the table, indicating that it is the brand deemed least dependable by owners, is Land Rover, with budget brand Dacia and German prestige marque Audi sitting just above.

The full list of results is shown below.

1. Skoda - 66 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100)
  2. Suzuki - 79 PP100
  3. Kia - 80 PP100
  4. Vauxhall - 90 PP100
  5. Peugeot - 92 PP100
  6. Volkswagen - 92 PP100
  7. Ford - 95 PP100
  8. Seat - 96 PP100
  9. Toyota - 96 PP100
  10. Nissan - 98 PP100
  11. Mazda - 111 PP100
  12. Fiat - 112 PP100
  13. Citroën - 115 PP100
  14. Renault - 116 PP100
  15. Honda - 117 PP100
  16. Jaguar - 123 PP100
  17. Volvo - 123 PP100
  18. Hyundai - 130 PP100
  19. Mini - 140 PP100
  20. Mercedes-Benz - 154 PP100
  21. BMW - 156 PP100
  22. Audi - 170 PP100
  23. Dacia - 174 PP100
  24. Land Rover - 197 PP100

The trends - volume brands perform well, but more technology causes issues

Generally, these results show that volume brands (the likes of Ford, Vauxhall and Volkswagen) experience fewer problems than premium and niche brands. Of the problems identified, the most common issues were related to technical features - something which may be explained by the increasing amount of software and digital elements in modern cars. In fact, the most commonly reported problem related to pairing your mobile phone through Bluetooth.

The survey also found that reliability is one of the priorities for UK consumers when buying a new car. Of the owners who said they had experienced no defect problems - ie, something that broke or did not work as expected - with their cars, 46% said they would go for the same make of car again in future, and 66% said they would recommend the car and its manufacturer to others.

Overall, the survey results show that, as expected, the fewer problems which are experienced by owners, the more likely they are to remain loyal to a car brand. As the makers of the survey point out, a small drop in loyalty might not sound like much, but with the average price of a new car in the UK currently standing at £22,000, lost revenue can quickly reach into the millions of pounds for a car maker.

The best cars by category

The J.D. Power VDS also ranks individual cars, showing the top models in every segment which experienced the fewest problems in the past year. The highest-ranked car in every segment is shown below.

• Like 1

Ultimately it's a numbers game and as Graham says, some invariably will 'rubbish' the result, particularly if they have had a poor ownership experience. Cars break and unfortunately every so often, every manufacturer turns out a 'lemon'. Also, when you do have a problem, not every dealer comes up trumps.

The message is clear, if you want to improve your odds of owning a reliable car, buy a Skoda. But don't expect guaranteed reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well that's great to see for Skoda owners but surprised not to see a Lexus which also usually has great results.can we believe surveys when this Auto Express one differs so much,can they both be right or wrong

post-98663-0-97106800-1468428401_thumb.png

post-98663-0-90904300-1468428780_thumb.png

Edited by Sad555

Surprised at the comments about refinement and ride quality.

I don't think it suffers much from road and wind noise and I regularly drive at about 75 mph. And I think it rides pretty well.

As you'd expect from me though, I can't argue with the comment about the seats! :)

The Japanese manufacturers don't do as well as expected do they, especially Honda?

Well that's great to see for Skoda owners but surprised not to see a Lexus which also usually has great results.

That's Auto Express Driver Power Survey and not the JD Power survey.

Lee

Lee.........Yes I know it's from AE I'm just surprised at the overall difference between the two results ,can they both be right?

• Like 1

I love my car, but as a business, having problems with 66 out of every 100 items produced wouldn't keep me in business long!!! 66% failure rate !!!

I love my car, but as a business, having problems with 66 out of every 100 items produced wouldn't keep me in business long!!! 66% failure rate !!!

I would have thought that in your business a 66% failure rate would be considered miraculous...

• Like 2

The article is a bit misleading. There were 66 problems per 100 vehicles but all those 66 problems could have been on 1 vehicle and the other 99 problem free.

Doesn't mean 66 cars had issues.

Lee

• Like 3

Think about the people with the Land Rover could that be one poor s#d with 197 faults on a Range Rover ?i don't consider the JD power survey that accurate with no Lexus in the top 100 which for years like Skoda has produced very good results(I have never owned a Lexus) but I've had two Skodas in the last four years and(touch wood) have had no major problems on either only an occasional rattle that developed with the sunroof (yeti)a few weeks before a scheduled service which was adjusted at the last service and a antenna failure on the Blackline which was known issue and rectified/replaced in under an hour,so from my point of view so far I wouldn't really be considering these even a mention of reliability in a survey.

I would have thought that in your business a 66% failure rate would be considered miraculous...

66 out of 100 students leaving my school with no qualifications would be an epic failure !!!

• Like 1

The article is a bit misleading. There were 66 problems per 100 vehicles but all those 66 problems could have been on 1 vehicle and the other 99 problem free.

Doesn't mean 66 cars had issues.

Lee

My Yeti has had at least 6 of those problems :)

There was a U.S. survey recently that had Kia at the top of an 'initial impression of quality' list.

To me , it's like political polls, it depends on what the question is and how it's put.

• Like 1

It's worth reading the article.  The most common "problem" was around connecting a phone!  You might feel that some sort of weighting should be applied to the various issues.  At the moment it would seem that a blown up engine is equal to the door shutting too loudly :D

• Like 3

It's worth reading the article.  The most common "problem" was around connecting a phone!  You might feel that some sort of weighting should be applied to the various issues.  At the moment it would seem that a blown up engine is equal to the door shutting too loudly :D

I agree

A survey of maintenance engineers would be what I'd be interested in.

I have owned three of the most perceived unreliable brands of cars in recent years and never had issues with any of them:

Freelander Td4 04 plate, bought with 12k on at 4 years old, sold with 118k on 2 years later - never missed a beat

Citreon C-Crosser - 80k and no issues

Fiat Doblo Van - 60k, no issues.

Not dismissing the results but have seen it said but surely, VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda should be around the same place, unless people demand more of the Audi's and dont tolerate smaller issues?

• Like 1

You've hit the nail on the head, if people pay more they expect more so that will tilt the results to some degree.

I agree with other comments above that some things I'd just not count as a failure but I know people who go overboard at the slightest issue.

Mind you my Freelander was the most unreliable car I have ever owned and I was thankful to get shot of it after only 3 years.