Shifter knob flaking

Hi all,

My shifter is basically disintegrating slowly in my hand. It feels like it's melting slowly. The flakes are just a part of the problem, as my hand is sticky and gluey each time I touch it.

55fd906faab960500e636a71e69c8997.jpg

I've been trying to get it replaced but my local dealer doesn't want my money it seems, and after 2 weeks of asking about the price of replacement I gave up. So I decided I'll change it myself.

I do have a few questions, has anyone had the same problem, and had to change it already? I could only find a golf mk7 replacement video and I have no idea how similar they are.

And has anyone bought parts of superskoda.com? Are they actually official Skoda parts? If not is there any other place I can buy original parts from?

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by Magget

The chrome on my shifter flaked off managed to get skoda to agree to replace under warranty, but if I had to do it myself I would get the super skoda one.

That's weird.  Is it leather? and if so, would it be worth trying to clean it with saddle soap, and then using a leather replenisher (maybe dubbin, or Brooks cycle saddle proofide).

Gaz

I have no idea what those are and what to do with them, but I'm off to goolge them now :D tnx

Edit: I'm an idiot. I'll give that a shot as a new shifter is 65€.

Edited by Magget

Just out of interest, do you use any hand cream/moisturiser? Sometimes this can react with leather 

Tried soap and basically any agitation no matter how gentle just makes more of the upper layer flake.

I got the car about a month so I have no idea what the previous owner did.

It looks like I'll have to buy a new shifter nonetheless.

Just out of interest, do you use any hand cream/moisturiser? Sometimes this can react with leather

Never use any similar products as greasy and slippery hands drive me nuts.

Alright, shifter ordered. The only problem is that I bought 3 other things as well. Cars and hardware tools ... I can never exit with just what I needed :)

I'll report on the delivery and replacement as well.

• Like 1

The chrome on my shifter flaked off managed to get skoda to agree to replace under warranty, but if I had to do it myself I would get the super skoda one.

I had this issue on my y plate golf gt tdi. You would have thought they would have fixed this issue by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the doctor when I had a flaky knob, he gave some cream.

Far too much detail!!

It is funny that skoda don't use the same material they use on the manual gear change as I have had no problems with my two cars over 8 years.

Edited by Gerrycan

my cars done 26,000 km and I'm on my third automatic shifter as the chrome keeps peeling off, it is covered under warranty so I don't care but its annoying. I'm guessing ill go through more shifters than oil changes

My 'leather' will be getting repaired by my dealer soon owing to its rather quick wearing through on my drivers chair.

Also my power tailgate struts (off topic yes) are leaking oil again (3Rd set).

Another dealer trip. I work away a lot and don't need the car for my work, yet, everytime I am home this car has something wrong with it. Thankfully all the work has been warranty work.

Never would I buy one of these cars out of warranty, to risky and certainly lacking in a lot of quality areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Just a short update, the shifter has arrived and was successfully replaced. I'd say it's a 5 min job. 

Here's a pic of the old vs new (installed)

http://imgur.com/a/DQG5t

For the replacement I used this video 

Only first 40 seconds, for taking it off, then reversing the process for installing the new one. 

Hope this helps for anyone planing to sort out theirs. 

• Like 1

Got to do my shifter as this is starting to happen to it not good enough really should last longer than 2 and a half years but it not the end of the world

If it helps, I bough mine for 69€ and you can choose between silver and red stitching. Even though the original one should last longer, I'm happy I changed it, as the new one feels strangely good in the hand 

• 1 year later...
On 7/17/2016 at 06:58, Gadget007 said:

The chrome on my DSG shifter is flaking off and very sharp. This happened on my Rapid also and was changed under warranty. Hoping i can also get this done on Octi??

The same has recently started to occur with my manual knob.

Car is only 26k old, coming up to 2yrs next month; I don't have sweaty palms and moisturise? Erm, no. 

Is is this something the dealer will replace FOC or will they use the "wear and tear" strap line?