Better Brakes

I've got s3/r32 fronts on mine with the rears still to do. I've got braided hoses and just standard pads and discs (brembo and pagid) but it's a vast improvement over standard.

last time I saw thought they were quite dear for the fronts so maybe LCR brembo's or Porsche stuff could be better value for money.

Hi Brad, 

Id guess from my post i did not no..... :p

Hatted rotors

DS2500 pads

brake stiffener kit

Motul 600 brake fluid

What's your budget & how much do you want to improve them?

I actually find standards are fine. I've just put pagid discs and pads up front and they are great - im running 250 bhp too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ditto, apart from the 250bhp. Still a standard 200bhp engine and my Pagid discs and pads certainly anchor me up okay. If it was a track car I would want better brakes, but on the road pagid are good.

• Like 1

Agree with others that the standard set up is very good. Would suggest there is a bit of a problem with yours if you think they are very poor.

If it's a 2006 model it's unlikely to have the OEM pads & rotors still.  Probably has some really cheap, budget pads / rotors - they will often feel "wooden", lack feel, bite and tend to fade easily.

I've had two cars since the VRS and I still think the brakes on it were some of the best I've had on a 'normal' car.

So I'd be concerned that you think they're really bad.

On my VRS I just wore out the OEMs and replaced with Pagid all round. I was happy with them and thought they were good value.

• 2 weeks later...

You could try EBC redstuff pads with some slotted brake discs if you are after an upgrade.

Pads are good, but don't bother with the slotted discs, as they'll just destroy your pads quicker.

Pointless on the road and most racing cars don't use them either, unless brake glazing is a worry.

I do think that a pad or disc change is the option as it does feel real wooden on hard braking and get fade very quick to.. Best options will be??

Changed your fluid in the past couple of years? Old stuff could account for the fade...

I do think that a pad or disc change is the option as it does feel real wooden on hard braking and get fade very quick to.. Best options will be??

If your getting brake fade it's due to excess heat in the braking surfaces.

Have a look at why your getting excess heat. Do you drive it like you stole it all the time or like the parish vicar?

Are your brakes binding? This could be another reason for the excess heat.

Looking at this option... Where would be best to get ??

Bake fluid was changed erm erm erm never I'd say looking at the book.

I drive it a it of both, stole it after good warm up time but the vic to warm her up.

Pagid all round on our VRS. Braking seems good.

ECP is best place for pagid pads and discs just watch out for 30% discount codes for maximum discount.

I found EBC redstuff a bit harsh for standard pagid discs hence if I was to use the pads again I would probably go for a slotted set up to avoid ribbing/scoring of the discs.

Edited by wiilydog

ECP is best place for pagid pads and discs just watch out for 30% discount codes for maximum discount.

I found EBC redstuff a bit harsh for standard pagid discs hence if I was to use the pads again I would probably go for a slotted set up to avoid ribbing/scoring of the discs.

I have to say I had no issue at all with OEM skoda disks and redstuff.

Certainly do the brake fluid and if it's never been done use the genuine stuff and get them to flush through and bleed the clutch too.

Other jobs to do if it's never been done is I would suggest get the gearbox oil done.

If you can go up to the 312mm discs (new carriers and disks, but pads and callipars are the same) then that's a lot bigger heatsink.

If you can brake race-style...Get ATE Powerdisc + Ferodo DS2500 or Brembo pads + Castrol Racing brake fluid + stainless steel braided brake lines and don't worry.

If you have money...get Brembo Sport discs with Ferodo DS2500

If you're circuit monkey...get Pagid/Mintex, Brembo, Ferodo racing stuff

If you have lots of money to waste...get carbon brake system

If you can go up to the 312mm discs (new carriers and disks, but pads and callipars are the same) then that's a lot bigger heatsink.

He has a Vrs, so it should already have 312mm rotors