vRS TSI induction options?

I wanted a little more noise from the engine but exhausts can be a little boomy considering most of my commute is motorway.

Induction options at the moment are also quite pricey so I'd thought I would share a cheaper option. I wanted the APR setup but £410 is just to much.

83mm neck ITG rated at 450+ BHP £72

Straight 80mm stainless connector £7.50

Right angle 4ply silicone hose £19.95

2 x 70-90mm jubilee clips £5

Total = just over £100

Sounds quite good and surprisingly really makes an improvement sub 4000rpm.

I'm normally quite sceptical but a real improvement.

What's everyone else running?

4A6CA2CB-F96A-4947-9682-553A0CE62C13_zps

315AE672-6937-4719-B530-F092316ECB03_zps

Edited by xpower

Good but this is more a sri and not a cai. You should be sucking hot air from the engine bay. Is your mpg affected? On my tiburon sri gave less power and higher mpg than cai.

MPG so far is unaffected.

The standard setup isn't great, it sucks in cold air from the front and hot air from the left side of the engine bay.

The air from the front is heavily restricted by the fact the grille is 70% solid plastic where the air can't get through.

A lot of people on the GOLF 7 forums have modded the front bumper to change this.

On my tibby, the piping went staight behind the front wheel (but still in the arche) therefore there was only cold air, the thottle was more responsive but the risque of hydrolock was important. Therefore they are bypass valves available to avoid it.

Awesome! About time Mods started getting posted about the Mk3 instead of the stupid questions that get asked lol. I'm running the Injen CAI at the moment, loving it so far.

On my tfsi I have a carbon speed inlet

Pics please :-)

Edited by xpower

I would love to get some better induction noise from my VRS as I to feel it's too quiet but just didn't want to sacrifice the filtration of the standard unit which is good for 300bhp if you remap so can't be restricting the intake much if at all at 220bhp

With cone intakes you tent to find a better low end response but a slight drop in HP

The response is improved as it is free flowing and an easier path for the air to follow, but the increase in AIT tends to cause a drop in outright power because the intake air is warmer and therefore less dense.

They sound great though  :sun:

Edited by Wakey

My one grip with the octavia is just that, it's a mute. In a world of sensible warm hatches, it's not the only offender of this. Been look at various induction type kits but all retail £250+ which is a bit pricey.

I'm sure you could knock up and cold feed/box which would help with any heat related issues.

Ok, so I did some logs today to try and add quantifiable data to the modification.  I unfortunately cant modify the title so if anyone knows how to do that?

I did these tests pretty much back to back using VCDS to log the data into Excel. I have then grouped the data into something a little meaningfull as opposed to the full data chart.

Today is a warm day so it made it good for the test.

The 2 tests were:

1) ITG setup - as pictured

2) Standard airbox - modded (this included a modifcation to the front air scoop and removed restrictions in the air box, pictures at the end)

I measured:

Intake air temp

Outside air temp

Boost pressure

Engine speed

Vehicle speed

Heres the data - it shows a drop in temp with the ITG fitted, now this engine doesn't have a IAT sensor which I can see so I assume its calculated based on outside temp, boost pressure, boost temp etc.

Odd results..................................... any comments welcome on how to make this more "scientific"

*WITH ITG*

IAT © - Min:40  Max:53

RPM - Min:810  Max:5777

Boost pressure (mbar) - Min:​1011  Max 2452

Outside temp © - Min:27  Max:37

IAT Difference - Min:13  Max:16

Average speed of test - 42.73247033 kph

*STD SETUP MODDED*   

IAT © - Min:45  Max:59          

RPM  - Min:820  Max:4926          

Boost pressure (mbar) - min:1001  Max:2566

Outside temp ©  min:28  max:36

IAT difference ©  Min:17   Max:23

Average Speed of test - 42.25889968 kph

Airbox Mods

Removed baffle plating inside the air box

023CE565-39B4-429B-8744-8A44F751CBDE_zps

The front duct is not designed solely for performance, by also for emission regs / noise etc.

It only can draw air in from the R/H side, the L/H side (where the airbox is) is completely blocked. 

This mod involved cutting out the scoop to allow air through, and blocking the other side up (where is passes directly through to the engine bay).

This mod is well documented on the Golf MK7 forums.  We actually get it a little better than the golf as the bonnet obscures more of the intake on the mk7 :-)

5A5763CC-8213-491B-B9D6-A5212F0DF313_zps

6A7BA235-33DC-4F18-BDFE-9D2B96027B60_zps

Edited by xpower

So it's almost finished. The full airbox is now made and air tight all round (as good as the std setup anyways)

Just a few figures:

Standard air filter surface area : 43.2cm3

ITG surface area : 84.6cm3

this now combined with the CAI mod works a treat, unfortunately it has taken the majority but not all of the turbo spool up noise.

I made this from an old plastic box I had lying around and some foam for the seal to the OE bottom section of the airbox - it screws in where the original went with the original screws.

Al that's left to do is wrap it neatly in some heatshield to reduce the amount of heatsoak the airbox gets. If you feel it after a while of running the whole airbox is redhot, it's like the air passing through an oven before it enters the turbo (this is the same on the OE setup)

60CF6E93-5C27-43DF-8BAE-25AF352E000B_zps

D2637E22-EBB0-4B24-A846-AB26EEBDDEA5_zps

• Like 3

A great mod you have done there xpower B) very cost effect too, seeing that you are mapped & changed the air filter setup, is a diverter valve change on the cards?

Thanks, I'm not keen on going from a full electronic valve to a whole load of vacuum pipes and extra solenoid. And it will cost you £200 for the privilege - ouch!!

The noise and look would be good though :-)

would a atmospheric DV be an option? - big thread on it over at the mark VII forums

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20940

65 USD in the states so not a huge outlay if you can find any in the uk

next question - how do you get the front duct out to mod it?

This looks interesting! Only issue I can see is postage from the US, and also reading pages 6&7 of the thread it looks like the ECU opens the DV at certain points to regulate the boost pressure causing an air leak noise to be heard.

To get the front duct out there are 2 torx bits to remove at either end, you will then need to pull up the airbag out of its rubber lugs to get enough clearance to get it out.  Its quite easy and the Mod ensures cold air only and a better flow.

• Like 1

just finished doing this - opened up the airflow to the box (drilled through the plastic then filed it down) and also removed the ?snow catcher inside the airbox. it is a bit fiddly to get the front intake out but doable. be careful putting it back together as i managed to drop the screws twice!! into the engine bay when try to resecure it (found one ok, 2nd one required jacking up one side of car and thumping the undertray to move it somewhere visible

i certainly notice a quicker pickup today driving especially from low speed

post-20314-0-52860800-1473095741_thumb.jpg

post-20314-0-01069100-1473095754_thumb.jpg

Edited by encephalopathy
  • Like 1