Dyno test of DTUK box...

sorry, keep forgetting to scan them in. Hopefully I do it tomorrow in work

One thing to note is my car seemed to gain the same as the cars quoting 300 + . Mine seemed to produce much lower figures on a dyno which is regarded as something that under reads slightly. I think the dtuk car that had 313 bhp ish had something like 260 stock on the dyno. Read into that as you will....

for the money I think its quite good. However you can't beat a real map for a petrol car anyway.

Edited by john_20v

Interesting thread and thanks for posting

For me though, reading about all the errors and lottery results I'll give the box approach a swerve and stick with stock

Edited by Wakey

I think the dtuk car that had 313 bhp ish had something like 260 stock on the dyno. Read into that as you will....

To me, that says a 20% increase, which might suggest the stock 220PS would go to 264. 

Although, in fairness, that will be without raising the rev limiter which I understand is a remap trick for more peak BHP.

Still, 20% increase for £380.

Interestingly, I reckon the reason the German DTE website makes less extravagant claims is that they have to be able to actually evidence them for TUV approval etc.

It seems the UK has an inflationary spiral of bull**** claims from tuners around the country (or more correctly, around the internet).

Interestingly, I reckon the reason the German DTE website makes less extravagant claims is that they have to be able to actually evidence them for TUV approval etc.

It seems the UK has an inflationary spiral of bull**** claims from tuners around the country (or more correctly, around the internet).

I think to be fair Shark developed the maps that DTUK use which are better than the DTE maps they run on the same hardware

I think to be fair Shark developed the maps that DTUK use which are better than the DTE maps they run on the same hardware

Well, they would say that wouldn't they. Sadly DTUK have failed to actually publish before/after dyno plots.

I can't think of any good reason you would do that if the results robustly supported your claims.

I can believe that they did do some minor tweaking and improvement if they devoted a lot of time and testing to it (and the testbed engine was in an Octy), but frankly I don't believe that the experienced tuners/engineers at DTE would have been far off the mark.  

What I like from say revo, is that they now quote a power range rather than just one headline figure.

high revs isn't any issue as the smaller IS turbo fitted to the vrs runs out of puff at top anyway. My peak figures where high 5k low 6k.

To be fair dtuk have said in the past they are looking more at the gains rather than the new figures.

Don't get me wrong. I think the dtuk box is great for the price and the ability to remove for warranty work. Just don't get your hopes up for 300+ Bhp like some maps can achieve. Oh and dtuk have put graphs up of their work.

Edited by john_20v

. Oh and dtuk have put graphs up of their work.

I can only find one before/after graph for the EA288 TDI and that did show about a 20% gain that was posted to Briskoda.

Their extensive catalogue of dynos on the website just show "after" graphs without control plots.

What they are really missing is a set of plots for each of their different maps.

On one hand they say "It's all about the driving experience and not the graphs" but on the other hand they make claims with numbers attached.

If they are selling thousands of them, as they claim (which I believe), then what's the harm in doing dyno runs with different maps and boost settings  and sharing the results?

Still, I reckon it's a great piece of technology and has it's place.

I can only find one before/after graph for the EA288 TDI and that did show about a 20% gain that was posted to Briskoda.

Their extensive catalogue of dynos on the website just show "after" graphs without control plots.

What they are really missing is a set of plots for each of their different maps.

On one hand they say "It's all about the driving experience and not the graphs" but on the other hand they make claims with numbers attached.

If they are selling thousands of them, as they claim (which I believe), then what's the harm in doing dyno runs with different maps and boost settings  and sharing the results?

Jono

I mentioned on the phone that map 1 plus 1 produced 236.5hp and 377lbft, map 2 produced 234.5hp and 377lbft and that map 3 was a variant of map 2, but with a small tweak in the higher rpm range

• Like 1

Well, they would say that wouldn't they. Sadly DTUK have failed to actually publish before/after dyno plots.

I can't think of any good reason you would do that if the results robustly supported your claims.

I can believe that they did do some minor tweaking and improvement if they devoted a lot of time and testing to it (and the testbed engine was in an Octy), but frankly I don't believe that the experienced tuners/engineers at DTE would have been far off the mark.

You would be surprised how wrong Germany can be, on our particular Skoda one of the files caused severe injector rattle... so as you can imagine we don't use that. On the other hand we did try that file on 3 loan cars and the injector noise wasn't as bad, but certainly noisier that the stock car. They conduct all of their testing on the dyno, I prefer to use the A1 :) as in my own experience it's a better option

• Like 1

google is your friend:  http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=269904.0

Take note of the author

This is the new map I was given. @ flywheel. Please note this is on tesco 99 and is on plus 2. I will try plus 3 on the dyno at a later date.

20161003_092920638_iOS_zpszeeezhz4.jpg

Below is the new map +2 next to stock @ wheels.

20161003_093030352_iOS_zpstloa5yax.jpg

I believe this is the map thats been used for a while +2 again @ fly

20161003_093048296_iOS_zps5izvvnnw.jpg

old map +2 vs stock again @ wheels

20161003_093058602_iOS_zpsrowgvvqm.jpg

Please also note it was a bloody hot day, and the dyno is known to under read esspecially torque.

They are revo dealers, for example a stage 1 s1 put down 290bhp and I'm sure he said a stage one mk7 gti once made 310ish

So its pretty impressive for something that takes 5 minutes to fit and almost half the price of revo etc

Edited by john_20v
  • Like 1

map 1 plus 1 produced 236.5hp and 377lbft, map 2 produced 234.5hp and 377lbft and that map 3 was a variant of map 2, but with a small tweak in the higher rpm range

Yeah thanks Andrew, I know, but they are just peak figures, I'm interested in the shape of the torque curve.

In fairness - I know that previously you have made a big deal about looking at the % improvement, not just what a dyno's potentially inflated headline figure is.

I did see your single head to head plot for the 184PS with a CRDT some time ago I think.

I still think it would be great for potential customers to see graphs of the different maps and with different +/- settings and vs stock.

It's a shame that nearly every graph published on your website doesn't have a "before" plot, but that's based on what people send you and what you choose to publish.

You would be surprised how wrong Germany can be, on our particular Skoda one of the files caused severe injector rattle... so as you can imagine we don't use that. On the other hand we did try that file on 3 loan cars and the injector noise wasn't as bad, but certainly noisier that the stock car. They conduct all of their testing on the dyno, I prefer to use the A1 :) as in my own experience it's a better option

The fact that you guys have put so much time in on the EA288 probably explains how you have managed to improve it.

I'm still skeptical that your claims of a true 240PS and 500Nm are directly comparable DTE's claims of 212PS and 440Nm, but I guess you did get those numbers on the dyno you used.

It seems too big a stretch to me, and I put it down to DTE having a higher burden of proof on their claims in Germany, perhaps for their TUV approval certification.

Are there any more TDI plots for the CRD3+ with the new maps out there?

Edited by Jono

• 1 month later...

Yeah thanks Andrew, I know, but they are just peak figures, I'm interested in the shape of the torque curve.

In fairness - I know that previously you have made a big deal about looking at the % improvement, not just what a dyno's potentially inflated headline figure is.

I did see your single head to head plot for the 184PS with a CRDT some time ago I think.

I still think it would be great for potential customers to see graphs of the different maps and with different +/- settings and vs stock.

It's a shame that nearly every graph published on your website doesn't have a "before" plot, but that's based on what people send you and what you choose to publish.

The fact that you guys have put so much time in on the EA288 probably explains how you have managed to improve it.

I'm still skeptical that your claims of a true 240PS and 500Nm are directly comparable DTE's claims of 212PS and 440Nm, but I guess you did get those numbers on the dyno you used.

It seems too big a stretch to me, and I put it down to DTE having a higher burden of proof on their claims in Germany, perhaps for their TUV approval certification.

Are there any more TDI plots for the CRD3+ with the new maps out there?

I went to see Andrew and the gang up at DTUK when I was back in the North East this weekend - just wanted to see what new software they had for the 150ps Diesel DSG.

Andrew set up the TUV approved map from Germany on my box to try, and I felt it sluggish and unresponsive compared to the map I was running previously.

He then gave me a map that they had tinkered with and the car felt much better in comparison to the file that came straight from DTE (something to do with the Cam settings and box reaction time if I remember correctly).

Not put mine on the dyno, have absolutely no intention of either - but the car feels night and day different to what it is standard, and the CRD3 product is excellent in my opinion.

• Like 1