Dyno test of DTUK box...

My car is an L&K - not really dyno material  :D

Besides, I bought the box to give the car a bit more oomph, and improve economy and it does the job I wanted it to.

Why not particularly?

I agree your reasoning for not being interested in practice (it does what I want, so let's not get into Top Trumps), but would like to understand why you think that cars other than the "Carlos Fandango edition" are not material for dynamometer testing.

Why not particularly?

I agree your reasoning for not being interested in practice (it does what I want, so let's not get into Top Trumps), but would like to understand why you think that cars other than the "Carlos Fandango edition" are not material for dynamometer testing.

I went through all that when I was younger - endlessly modifying my car, searching for those few extra horses on the Dyno.

I'm just not really that bothered any more if truth be told - other people may want to run their cars on the Dyno, irrespective of spec, and I agree it's important to measure the claims of tuners etc. To me, my car feels that it justified the money I spent on the box, and on the road really that's all that matters.

Everyone will have their own views of course, but that's my two-penneth :thumbup:

I went through all that when I was younger - endlessly modifying my car, searching for those few extra horses on the Dyno.

I'm just not really that bothered any more if truth be told - other people may want to run their cars on the Dyno, irrespective of spec, and I agree it's important to measure the claims of tuners etc. To me, my car feels that it justified the money I spent on the box, and on the road really that's all that matters.

Everyone will have their own views of course, but that's my two-penneth :thumbup:

Cheers; that's what I meant about "not playing Top Trumps".

I've got a dtuk box to put on but I've also got a vwr r600 induction kit and full milltek with sports cat and non res fitted. I'm hoping for more than 270bhp, I'd be happy with the 300bhp mark

So your basically running stage two hardware with dtuk box?

You could well get a cell light etc. The car could well run like a pig too. I'd put a stage two revo on it for a good 350bhp ish.

Edited by john_20v

But it's NOT your car is it John

Hmm interesting response. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was genuinely trying to help.

I do apologise, I've obviously offended you greatly. Hence the sarcastic post which contains ZERO benefit. I keep forgetting that there are some delicate flowers on some forums.

You could well get a cell light etc. The car could well run like a pig too. I'd put a stage two revo on it for a good 350bhp ish.

I can see where you are coming from.

An Australian blogger systematically upgraded his 1.9pd Roomster for improved performance AND economy. He went through all the processes to improve intake temperature, induction and exhaust flow.

Each step was described in detail, his logic, testing methods and results.

The results (especially economy) were not always better than stock and this makes sense since standard engine mapping is optimised by the manufacturer for their equipment.

However, all the modifications came together when he had a custom map installed so he got the power and economy improvements he was seeking.

Similarly the DTUK box is programmed as a simple performance add-on for the manufacturer's installed equipment. Any changes to airflow (intake/exhaust) are not likely to be catered for in the standard DTUK mapping and possibly result in worse or less than optimal performance.

Incidentally the Australian was Julian Edgar and I am pretty sure he was a Briskoda member during his Roomster period.

He was a prolific contributor to a web-site called 'Autospeed.com' and very sadly has recently retired from publishing his stuff.

A bit of a 'renaissance man' with very catholic interests and an amazing range of talents he was also able to communicate through his well written articles.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

The problem with the gen 3 tsi is that is really sensitive, which can be a good thing or bad.

Sensitive in what way?

I've not had any reason to use offensive language towards mine.

:) I mean once you start messing around. Intakes exhaust intercooler etc, the ecu has smaller tolerances and won't like it. I've read loads on the mk7 gti on American forums. Older platforms were more forgiving. My car running the dtuk box in higher settings logs a fault between requested and actual boost. I can't remember what the difference was off the top of my head but it was like a couple %. Edited by john_20v

I got the box from another member from here but I like said I ain't had the chance to put it on and I've seen other people saying they can't tell there on which has put doubt in my mind to put it on or not

Don't get me wrong. The dtuk box does work. You'll def notice it. Look at my graphs from earlier. It's just limited in what it can ultimately do. Your spec is prime for a stage two. If that's what you want. 350bhp is easily on the cards too. the dtuk box is for stock cars as far as I'm aware. They may offer some sort of stage two map. Might be worth contacting them.

DTUK is to tune a stock car, stage 2 exhausts, intakes, new turbos and remaps are not for stock cars.

As the very first O3's are only just out of warranty WTF are you filling this thread with info of very little relevance ?

But then I'm either blunted or more sensitive a flower aren't I John

Thanks for repeating basically what I said. DTUK for stock.

Ant-vrs ' car is not STOCK hence the info.

Oh, and newsflash!!!! some people tune cars that are under warranty!  Crazy ain't it! Bet that just blew your mind....

Who are you to tell me what I can and can't say? Im hardly filling the thread. If you bother to look you will see I'm running a dtuk box and I've shared my findings. What have you brought to this thread????

your not blunted. Hmmm ...

Edited by john999boy
Inappropriate comments removed.

Thanks for repeating basically what I said. DTUK for stock.

Ant-vrs ' car is not STOCK hence the info.

Oh, and newsflash!!!! some people tune cars that are under warranty!  Crazy ain't it! Bet that just blew your mind....

Who are you to tell me what I can and can't say? Im hardly filling the thread. If you bother to look you will see I'm running a dtuk box and I've shared my findings. What have you brought to this thread????

your not blunted. Hmmm ...

no need for this    .......

it is not welcome or appropriate

Edited by john999boy
Quoted comment edited.
  • Like 1

no need for this    .......

it is not welcome or appropriate

? and his comments are perfectly fine then?

Maybe I over stepped the mark, however my points still stand.

I was only giving valid help. It simply annoys me when people go out of their way to be awkward.

Anywho I'm not going into this anymore as the thread will go off on a tangent.

Edited by john_20v

? and his comments are perfectly fine then?

Maybe I over stepped the mark, however my points still stand.

I was only giving valid help. It simply annoys me when people go out of their way to be awkward.

Anywho I'm not going into this anymore as the thread will go off on a tangent.

Personal attacks are not welcome in any forums, just cos we don't agree doesn't call for that kinda behaviour.

But it's NOT your car is it John

To be fair to John, THIS appears to me to be the first unhelpful comment on this thread which until it was made was a pretty interesting thread/topic.

So "themanwithnoaim" take your own advice ey post only helpful comments not those that cause offence.

• Like 2

Miked, John was goading ant to do something he'd already said he hadn't and it turned out he had his reasons not to hence, my comment. It was basically a back off I think you're outta line.

Sorry Miked you didn't feel ant was being questioned in a manner that may have caused him offence? That's why I made what you considered a unhelpful comment.

Miked, John was goading ant to do something he'd already said he hadn't and it turned out he had his reasons not to hence, my comment. It was basically a back off I think you're outta line.

Sorry Miked you didn't feel ant was being questioned in a manner that may have caused him offence? That's why I made what you considered a unhelpful comment.

No you've read that wrong imho. Really cannot see how you've come to that conclusion based on his post to ant but everyone has their own interpretation I suppose.

Maybe your 'I think you're outa line' would have been a better post?

Anyway back to topic.....can anyone tell me if DTUK boxes cause a DT1 flag? I.e. Can skoda see if one has been used?

I am looking into this as an option for my car....