Hatch or Estate?

Hi All,

I'm considering getting my first ever estate next year having had three Octavia hatches since 2002.  I'd like to know whether an estate would be noisier inside than the hatch, given the same engine, wheels & tyres?

If you've had both yourself, I'd like to hear your opinion.

Thanks 

I've got a vrs230 combi and I don't really get the noise thing reported by other octavia owners re booming etc.

It does stand to reason that a combi would be slightly noisier than the hatch as it's a bigger boot with just a canvas type load cover as opposed to smaller space and a parcel shelf.

As I said though I don't think mine is noise at all.

If you have a Merc going to an octavia will be a real disappointment.

I disagree. A basespec merc is not a very nice place to be. Hard seats, slow and stuttering infotainmentscreen and the roadnoise is almost as bad.

• Like 1

I disagree. A basespec merc is not a very nice place to be. Hard seats, slow and stuttering infotainmentscreen and the roadnoise is almost as bad.

I'm of the same feeling too re the merc. I looked and test drove a fully loaded cla estate before the Octavia. Taking the superior vfm of the Octavia out of the equation I can honestly say there was absolutely nothing in it in terms of quality or driving experience. There CLA had a slightly better interior design flare but the fit, finish and material quality was equal to me. Plus the awful ipad style mmi was really odd.

• Like 1

Nope, the hatch is just so boring / bland to look at whereas the estate looks right & can be a sleeper if it's a vRS, especially

in a subtle colour.

Yeap, estate specially in black,looking from behind is like something that came from the museum with the side lights.

Whatever, we share, what we like. Peace.

Yeap, estate specially in black,looking from behind is like something that came from the museum with the side lights.

Whatever, we share, what we like. Peace.

By that point my VRS Estate is rapidly heading off into the distance, so what the back looks like doesn't matter

Isn't SEAT priced above skoda? So VAG will allow them 10BHP more and charge the higher price?

Sorry hit the send button to quickly. ... I am happy to downgrade to a) save costs (about half the cost in BIK and trade up contribution) and B) free up some cash to upgrades the main family car to a 4x4. Plus I want my mid life crisis to continue in something a bit more GTi!

I beg to differ.

Went from an Octy3 estate to a C Class estate fitted with Airmatic. The Octy had a great engine (1.4TSI) but the road noise and rough suspension/ride was not acceptable. Pity really as I had numerous Octys before the Mark 3 which didnt have these issues. I dont think the MQB chassis cuts it in Skoda form. On the other hand VW MQB vehicles are noticeably better. For one thing VW didnt forget to fit sound proofing.

I have have no complaints about the Merc except for the very expensive main dealer servicing costs. Its miles better in quality in my opinion. But then it also costs significantly more than the Skoda.

Edited by Minimoke

I've got a vrs230 combi and I don't really get the noise thing reported by other octavia owners re booming etc.

It does stand to reason that a combi would be slightly noisier than the hatch as it's a bigger boot with just a canvas type load cover as opposed to smaller space and a parcel shelf.

As I said though I don't think mine is noise at all.

1. Go for a drive on an A-road

2. reach 50-70mph

3. Open your drivers window

You will hear a rapid "booming" of air entering / escaping the cabin due to pressures. Lowering the passenger window helps to alleviate this.

• Like 1

1. Go for a drive on an A-road

2. reach 50-70mph

3. Open your drivers window

You will hear a rapid "booming" of air entering / escaping the cabin due to pressures. Lowering the passenger window helps to alleviate this.

Ah right. I normally have the sunroof open when wanting fresh air when driving so maybe why not noticed it.

Re the way you describe the noise; surely that's just normal though. All cars suffer from buffeting like you mention...

Re the way you describe the noise; surely that's just normal though. All cars suffer from buffeting like you mention...

When working on active noise control systems for cars a few years ago Jaguar Land Rover requested we look at this very problem on a Jaguar XJ12 - the only solution we could find wasn't very practical, a 24" sub-sub-woofer in the middle of the passenger cabin!

I've had a Octavia 2 L&K hatch and two Octavia 3 Elegance estate/combi's. I prefer the estate. Same length but more usable profile for the bikes and other stuff I put in the back. I also prefer the looks (though that is subjective), and I could get the full panoramic sunroof on the estate. Never found booming either, though I don't open windows at 50MPH+ as I have climate control and a sunroof.