Leaving skoda after 4 cars

well have decided not to get another skoda after having 4 in row, must admit my Mark 3 octavia has been the worse lots of problems. But really want a change and a new octavia is just the same as I have, the superb is to big and to much like the octavia inside, the rapid is just horrible don't like suv's. So that's it time to look somewhere else. looking at a Volvo v40 redesign lux 2.0 diesel and a Mazda 3 sport nav 2.2 diesel cannot make my mind up between the 2 as anyone out there had any experience of either of these ?

Tried a V40, hated it, the roof seemed too low and dark and the top of the windscreen seemed to get in my vision line at times. Maybe the seat was too high, but I'm only 5' 11" about same as salesman who brought it around.

Haven't tried the Mazda.

The one car I really liked was a BMW 2 series active tourer petrol auto. Nearly got one, but was annoyed that they were offering better deal on the longer grand tourer so felt I was subsidising someone's else's deal, so walked away.

Same for us - after two Skoda and a number of friends buying them the octy3 has killed the brand for me (6 year old mk1 Fabia vRS was so much less hassle than the brand new Octy 3).

We looked at the Mazda 6 as a replacement to the Octy as it's about the same size, v40 and Mazda 3 will be tiny in comparison, but it was just too dull - lovely to look at and beautifully screwed together but I'd hate it within a week after the vRS.

Looked at the v60 but they're front wheel drive and I'm sick of it (wanted rwd or 4wd) so was looking at the xc60 which is lovely but I'm not a fan of the interior of any of the volvos except the xc90 as the millions of tiny buttons design doesn't do it for me.

Ended up putting down on a BMW X3. Pricey but head and shoulders above everything else we looked at in my book especially the auto box which is so much nicer than DSGs.

If you don't like SUV type what about the 3 series touring? I know a couple of people driving them and love them. The only issue with BMW is the image in my book.

Edited by gullyg

The bmw 3 series and merc c class are worthy contenders however there quite abit more expensive, but its suprising how much you can get a 330d for with 1000 miles, i have seen them 30 to 33 from bmw for an msport. Skoda octavias have the potential to be fantastic cars, sadly let down buy stupid design issues. As i mentioned once before i want a car to be as good as it can be where the engineers have not been held back. But all cars have some issues, the main one for me is the booming.

The bmw 3 series and merc c class are worthy contenders however there quite abit more expensive, but its suprising how much you can get a 330d for with 1000 miles, i have seen them 30 to 33 from bmw for an msport. Skoda octavias have the potential to be fantastic cars, sadly let down buy stupid design issues. As i mentioned once before i want a car to be as good as it can be where the engineers have not been held back. But all cars have some issues, the main one for me is the booming.

Google puts the 320d touring msport 0-100kph at 7.6s over 7.9 for the Tdi vRS manual. Ok neither are the fastest cars in the world but they're hardly slow so a 330d (I'd have loved one but the x3 20d was a better fit - too pricey for the 30d :( ) might not be needed.

I'm not sure the 3 series is quite as roomy as the Octy but it depends on how important that it.

Tried a V40, hated it, the roof seemed too low and dark and the top of the windscreen seemed to get in my vision line at times. Maybe the seat was too high, but I'm only 5' 11" about same as salesman who brought it around.

Haven't tried the Mazda.

The one car I really liked was a BMW 2 series active tourer petrol auto. Nearly got one, but was annoyed that they were offering better deal on the longer grand tourer so felt I was subsidising someone's else's deal, so walked away.

I tried a 2 series active tourer, the dealer lent me on for 3 days and took it back after 1 day, fantastic inside but God did roll in the corners and I am only 5 ft 5 and found the BMW seats with very long base just made my legs hurt.

Same for us - after two Skoda and a number of friends buying them the octy3 has killed the brand for me (6 year old mk1 Fabia vRS was so much less hassle than the brand new Octy 3).

We looked at the Mazda 6 as a replacement to the Octy as it's about the same size, v40 and Mazda 3 will be tiny in comparison, but it was just too dull - lovely to look at and beautifully screwed together but I'd hate it within a week after the vRS.

Looked at the v60 but they're front wheel drive and I'm sick of it (wanted rwd or 4wd) so was looking at the xc60 which is lovely but I'm not a fan of the interior of any of the volvos except the xc90 as the millions of tiny buttons design doesn't do it for me.

Ended up putting down on a BMW X3. Pricey but head and shoulders above everything else we looked at in my book especially the auto box which is so much nicer than DSGs.

If you don't like SUV type what about the 3 series touring? I know a couple of people driving them and love them. The only issue with BMW is the image in my book.

Should have said after a smaller car as kids have now left home, but glad to hear it's not just me come to the end with skoda, I have had problems across the 3 years (more than any other car I have owned) plus a failed turbo and constant tech glitches, yes I have to agree the booming is a massive issue for me to, cannot believe in over 3 years of the car being out it still not really solved.

well have decided not to get another skoda after having 4 in row, must admit my Mark 3 octavia has been the worse lots of problems. But really want a change and a new octavia is just the same as I have, the superb is to big and to much like the octavia inside, the rapid is just horrible don't like suv's. So that's it time to look somewhere else. looking at a Volvo v40 redesign lux 2.0 diesel and a Mazda 3 sport nav 2.2 diesel cannot make my mind up between the 2 as anyone out there had any experience of either of these ?

I'm a bit surprised at your short list.

Brand perception and pricing in Australia means they would rarely be cross-shopped here.

When I looked at the Mazda 3, I thought it very cramped for the exterior dimensions and the very pretty styling of the rising rear window line severely compromised driver visibility and therefore driving safety. They do get good reviews here and are the biggest sellers to private buyers (very few fleet sales) but while handling and ride are considered good there have always been nvh complaints across the brand despite claims for improvements for every new release. Road noise on course tarmac seems to be the main problem.

There was a review of the updated Mazda 6 diesel released here recently that was absolutely glowing about its performance and quiet sophisticated performance.

Seems Mazda have included some sort of shock absorber in the gudgeon pins (and I could have got that wrong) that absorbs the diesel ignition shock and that transforms it to petrol smoothness and noise levels. No idea if this diesel is across the range into the 3 or even if it has been released into the UK market yet, but it seems that if you are going to buy a Mazda diesel then this is the one to consider.

I would go for Mazda.But 6,not 3. Actually 3 is direct competitor to Octy but size is smaller, and this turned me to Octy, I needed family car. Mazda 6 is over the budge.

I like the Mazda thinking and brand identity.

Actually diesels do have their issues, you can read in inet regarding their regenerations and oil level. First Skyactiv diesels were prone to a fault - after regeneration the oil level becomes too high, ECU puts the car in service mode and you need "now" to change the oil. Please make sure you investigate this.

With Mazda I would go to 2.0 120/165hp engine. 210nm torque.

If the diesel is fixed this is the sportiest diesel of all - has higher revs limit than regular.

Build quality of three is lower than six, not by much but if you see YouTube reviews you will notice for example the seats,etc.

However I admit I wanted Mazda but the budget level was limiting me for six, and Octy is more reasonable for family car for us. No regrets.

Mazda is also top car in my country as target for theft. Can't live with this as well.

Good luck and let us know what was the final decision.

If you no longer need the size or space of the Octavia, have a look at the brand new Megane. I recently had a new Renault Captur as a hire car and quality was in different league compared to few years ago.

If you want a bit of power, BMW are doing new 140i and 240i

I'm a bit surprised at your short list.

Brand perception and pricing in Australia means they would rarely be cross-shopped here.

When I looked at the Mazda 3, I thought it very cramped for the exterior dimensions and the very pretty styling of the rising rear window line severely compromised driver visibility and therefore driving safety. They do get good reviews here and are the biggest sellers to private buyers (very few fleet sales) but while handling and ride are considered good there have always been nvh complaints across the brand despite claims for improvements for every new release. Road noise on course tarmac seems to be the main problem.

There was a review of the updated Mazda 6 diesel released here recently that was absolutely glowing about its performance and quiet sophisticated performance.

Seems Mazda have included some sort of shock absorber in the gudgeon pins (and I could have got that wrong) that absorbs the diesel ignition shock and that transforms it to petrol smoothness and noise levels. No idea if this diesel is across the range into the 3 or even if it has been released into the UK market yet, but it seems that if you are going to buy a Mazda diesel then this is the one to consider.

My experiance (3 hr test drive out and about in Edinburgh) would track with this. We were given the top of the range 6 with 19" wheels and it just glided over bumps and was lovely and quiet and was silky smooth even though it's a diesel.

After the rather agricultural vRS diesel and aweful tire roar from the 18" wheels it was like night and day.

No where near as involving though.

Looks like Im having the same issue, and may be jumping ship in a few months :(

After paying £370 for three years on the PCP to find out I have zero equity on a below-mileage car, and being quoted £413 a month to have the same car (after discounts and offers) but with actual paint and DSG the costs are pushing into prestige territory.

The Jag XE is looking appealing, and Audis are being discounted to high heaven.

If I was to do it again. I would have probably kept trying with a Mercedes-Benz dealer. But after 3 dealers telling me what I can buy and not what I want to buy. I gave up and went back to skoda.

There is nothing wrong with the car, except like others have said the value after a few years is not as good as what you'd expect.

As for another car. I test drove the BMW 3 and Mercedes C (W205) and both are leagues about the skoda in ride and quality. But that's also reflected in the price.

I am leaving after just the one Skoda. My VRS has been the most unrelaible new car I have owned. I can tolerate faults and understand much is down to luck of the draw, but Dealer service (Essex Auto Group) and Skoda UK have both been absolutely dreadful. Ownership experience has be ****e. Bye-bye shoddy VAG service.

I have a bunch of hotch-potch replacement ideas, all of them on lease as I do not intend to own another car:-

*BMW 335D X-Drive Touring (my preference, driven one, awesome car)

*Jaguar F-type R Sport (wife + daughter vote)

*Mazda CX5 AWD Sport D (sensible choice)

*Merc C220D or C350E Estate (long outsider)

Edited by Orville

This is a debate I have had with myself recently after my Dad claimed he wouldn't have another Skoda after the emissions "scandal" that hasn't affected him in any way and would rather have a car that leaks in water as standard (a Jeep Wrangler).

I would have another Skoda easily but if I were to have a change of heart, depending on if I am put off VAG completely I wouldn't have a BMW. I don't think their quality standards match up to the prices they claim. And they're rubbish to work on.

I would have a Volvo, probably an S60. Mercedes C-Class or an A-Class if size wasn't required. Mazdas are nice cars now but they would rust pretty quickly up here. Hadn't considered Jaguar, I would need to drive one. I would of course have an Audi A3 or A4 (or sporty variant of).

I thought I was the black sheep of the forum by buying a Ford. Happy the read I'm not a alone In my disappointment with Skoda having owned one for 8 years. The difference between my s-max and the octy is night and day even against the new Octavia's I had test driven. Tyre noise, what tyre noise, even with 19" wheels. Would have bought a mondeo but the roof was to low in the back for the kids cyber car seats and needed a big boot.

The benefit of leasing is that you do not have to worry about the purchase price. Just decide how much you can comfortably afford each month and pick which car fits best. After 1, 2 or 3 years choose another dependent upon your needs and circumstances. Choose a car with high-residuals and you'll be surprised what is available. 335XD's for £350pm, CX5's for £250, C220D's for £300, Fiesta ST-Line for £125, Evoque's for £300, Golf R's for £260, Octy VRS' from £200 etc... 

Potential 'residuals' should have the same sort of warnings as accompany investment funds, "Past performance should only be used as an indicator and is no guarantee for future returns". :)

It doesn't take much of a change in fuel prices, car taxation rates, new emission standards, technical breakthroughs, or a manufacturer's scandal to turn your 'copper-bottomed' vehicle investment into a financial anchor. (Or even that nasty crash that is not quite enough to write off the vehicle).

All mass produced cars built today come with free built in obsolescence, and the expected life of each new generation becomes increasingly shorter.

There is inevitably going to be an 'improved' version released within six or seven years of the model release so even stylistically your purchase becomes 'unfashionable' especially if bought late in the cycle.

I just think the expectation that someone is going to pay top dollar for a very complex and increasingly unreliable, expensive to repair, possibly usurped cast off model has to be moderated as manufacturers flood the market with huge incentives to sell increasing numbers of brand new cars.

Sorry, but I got out the cynical side of bed this morning, and yes I buy a new car when I can, I try not to overinvest, and having bought a few pragmatic but joyless vehicles in the past I do value the pleasure that a good car that suits your personal requirements can bring.

Skoda have very low market penetration and high depreciation here in Australia despite always experiencing excellent reviews and frequent "motoring's best kept secret" comments.

I knew all that when I bought mine and I enjoy the current uniqueness of my vehicle here compared to say the two new Aston Martins owned locally, I don't suppose their owners are too worried about that though

Ive also done the same thing in May this year.  5 Octavia's then after the mk3 Ive moved to a 335d that I got a big discount on. Its smaller in in the boot but a nicer car/engine/auto box and Ive got a roof box for when I need the big space for moving my daughter to Uni!

All mass produced cars built today come with free built in obsolescence,

I've said this before on another thread, but I think we've been through a golden age for reliability. On the one hand my Dad tells me about owning cars that needed almost weekly attention to keep them running well, and with galvanised bodies, improvements in manufacturing tolerances and consistency and all the rest of it you could say that nobody makes a truly bad car any more. With the complexity going through the roof now that seems to be coming to an end though and all the electronics seems to be bamboozling the auto engineers as much as it does me!

• Like 2

Joining in this party after Mk 1 Elegance, Mk 2 Scout and Mk 3 4x4 over 12 yrs. The PCP residuals experience has soured my feelings on going for a Mk3 Scout (the car I really wanted but at the time but wasn't available). As they say insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting(hoping) for a different result! 

Off to see what all of America and Australia is raving about and get a nearly new Subaru Outback in loaded to the gills SE Premium spec with still 4 years of warranty ahead of it. Can't wait.

Just the O3 to sell privately. Shame, this has been one of the friendliest forums I've ever had the privilege to read and occasionally contribute.

Niall

Joining in this party after Mk 1 Elegance, Mk 2 Scout and Mk 3 4x4 over 12 yrs. The PCP residuals experience has soured my feelings on going for a Mk3 Scout (the car I really wanted but at the time but wasn't available). As they say insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting(hoping) for a different result! 

Off to see what all of America and Australia is raving about and get a nearly new Subaru Outback in loaded to the gills SE Premium spec with still 4 years of warranty ahead of it. Can't wait.

Just the O3 to sell privately. Shame, this has been one of the friendliest forums I've ever had the privilege to read and occasionally contribute.

Niall

You're always welcome to visit and tell us how you are going with the new car and how it compares with the Mk3 4x4.

Two or three years back Subaru drastically reduced the prices of the new Outback models (20%-ish from memory) here in Australia and resurrected their sales.

Great for the new purchaser but I dread to think what that did to the prices for existing owners.

What type of engine and transmission did you go for on the Outback?

If I get back in the market for a vehicle with mild 4x4 capability then this would certainly be on my shortlist and it has a fair bit more ground clearance than the Scout (220mm v 175mm) which is useful on dirt roads.

I've gone off most modern SUV styling but the new Tiguan (just released here) and proposed Kodiaq could be worth a lookover.

What type of engine and transmission did you go for on the Outback?

Given my mileage it had to the be the diesel, and given my love of tech it had to be the CVT with Eyesight. Test drove one and don't understand the literal bad press the transmission/the car gets from UK motoring hacks. But I guess I'm looking for an offroad Estate to go offroad with, rather than something to pose around the home counties with and measure dynamically against a track car.

Very smooth, quiet, still more than fast enough and I'm confident that with a bit more time together I'll learn how to drive it properly rather than simply noticing the differences with a manual transmission (this'll be my first auto)