Oil Warning Light

Oil low level came on last week had to put in ¾ of a litre. I check the level a least once every couple of weeks and the last time I checked it the levels where normal.

I have now checked it 3 times since last Thursday (22/09/16) and it looks like its dropping again. I hope I am just being paranoid.

I can’t see any obvious oil leaks car is not smoking and drives as expected. Had the car since January and not had to put any oil in car.

Car is a 63 plate petrol VRS with 38000 miles serviced in May.

Any Ideas?

Edited by bhoywonder

Just because if there is no visible leak and it is loosing oil, it would suggest it's possibly internal; sometimes with that you can get oil mixed in the coolant.

If it's under warranty though i'd get it looked at by the dealer before the warranty runs out. Some oil consumption is normal, but a notable amount over less than a week is definately not normal, especially if you've had no problems with it so far.

• Like 3

Agree with FluffyEyeball, 3/4 of a litre of 10k miles would be acceptable but to loose that much in 2 weeks there must be a problem.

Get it booked into the dealer as even if they don't initially find any problems you have an investigation logged in the service history whilst the car is still in warrenty.

Any problems after December (which isnt that far away) & you have proof the condition existed whilst still Under warrenty.

If there are no visible signs of leakage on the sump, turbo & engine its most likely the oïl is being burnt.

You don't say if you have a diesel or petrol but if its the diesel the DPF will block out most of the visible smoke.

If you have a diesel I would be extra careful as oïl build-up in the exhaust can cause problems with the DPF in left too long.

• Like 2

Left work this evening noticed a slight puff of smoke on start up (cold start) decided to take it to the garage as it is only 10 drive from work. When I reversed the car into the garage car park I again could see more smoke albeit slight sat in the car and gently pressed the accelerator and I could see the odd puff of smoke looked bluish in colour. Have left it with them and they are going to check it in the morning.

bhoywonder.

Can you set the story please.   Just nosey.

Was this bought at Arnold Clark,

did they service it,

did you check the oil level after the service?

So what oil was used at the service, & how do you check it, cold dips or hot checks.  where on the dipstick do you fill it to?

is that 30,000km (18,641 miles).

They could well be right considering for all engines 3,4,5,6,8.12 cylinder Petrol or Diesel, 44kw & on VW say 'May use 0.5 litres / 1000 km (621 miles)

But then more per first 5,000km, over Alpine Passes in High Summer towing a VW Board Members annual salary.

Only using 2 litres of oil in 18,000 miles is a dream and a wish for many Volkswagen engine vehicles.

Edited by Offski

My previous VAG car had a high revving V8 which had a (undeserved) internet reputation of using a lot of oil.

Once a group of owners on the relevant forum (rs246.com) started sharing data a clear pattern emerged - for the first 5k miles after a service oil usage was nearly zero, over the next 5k miles it increased to around 0.5 litre per 5k miles and for those who chose to stay on AVS (variable servicing) over the remaining miles before a service oil consumption increased to 0.5 litre per 1k miles.

So that indicated that the high oil usage was down to degradation of the oil as it got older - leaving the clear message that changing the oil every 10k miles was advisable and changing oil every 5k would satisfy the purists.

Opposite with Euro 5 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twinchargers.   'It is not unusual' (Tom Jones)  for a non oil user to use oil for a few hundred miles after an Oil & Filter change if 

5w 30 FS Long Life (VW 504 00) is used, 

But not so if 5w 40 FS (VW 502 00) is used.   But more than 25% of all the 1,800 2010-2012 Fabia Mk2 vRS Twinchargers in the UK have had engine failures. 

(VW Recommended 5W 30 FS LL 3 might have something to do with that. & the other failings, fundamental design and manufacturing faults & software.)

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by Offski

Collected car tonight there is no oil leak. Garage have topped oil to the max and I will monitor it over the next few days if the oil level drops its to go back in so they can run a oil test.

The danger here is that after them faffing around and eventually doing a consumption test then you might be out of warranty when something is found.

I would want a compression test and oil leak down test done to confirm all is OK with the internal components. It's worth paying a good garage to do this and then push for the dealer to take action (if needed)

The danger here is that after them faffing around and eventually doing a consumption test then you might be out of warranty when something is found.

I would want a compression test and oil leak down test done to confirm all is OK with the internal components. It's worth paying a good garage to do this and then push for the dealer to take action (if needed)

I will monitor over the next few days and if the level drops it goes back for the test. Warranty does not end until December.  

Trouble is with getting a third party garage to do that test is that the dealer and SUK will then wash their hands of it and say as you went outside the dealer network you are now on your own.

Ian

If you know from your own monitoring that you have an Oil User. Excessive Oil User,

You contact Skoda UK Customer Services if you have a Warranty and the Dealership / Employees are not supporting you.

Get a Handler, get Approval for an 'Official Oil Consumption Test'.

New Oil & Filter in, Dropped Weighed, Distance covered, but not just 300 km (186 miles) or 600 km, request it as 1,000 km (621 miles) as a minimum.

Then oil drained and weighed.

857 grams a Litre.

Report done.   Using  0.5 Litres in 1000 km is not acceptable or anything like it as Skoda well know even if a Owners Manual says 'May use as much as'.

• Like 2

If you know from your own monitoring that you have an Oil User. Excessive Oil User,

You contact Skoda UK Customer Services if you have a Warranty and the Dealership / Employees are not supporting you.

Get a Handler, get Approval for an 'Official Oil Consumption Test'.

New Oil & Filter in, Dropped Weighed, Distance covered, but not just 300 km (186 miles) or 600 km, request it as 1,000 km (621 miles) as a minimum.

Then oil drained and weighed.

857 grams a Litre.

Report done.   Using  0.5 Litres in 1000 km is not acceptable or anything like it as Skoda well know even if a Owners Manual says 'May use as much as'.

This is the test that is  going to get done next week if any more oil disappears.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

1.6 tdi dsg consumes  0,5 ltr of oil every 2 weeks !!

you can hardly call this a performance engine ( dead and dangerously slow car ,specially with dsg ) and i get an average 19.5 km from every liter of diesel , ..........but according to SKODA dealer is all acceptable and normal .

car has done about 150k and consumes approx the same amount over its whole life.