Disappointing ride quality

Lol6

Not necessarily. Our outgoing Mazda 6 (2015 model) was just right in my eyes. Firm, supportive, flexible chassis and you could really feel the road through it without it going to excess. Direct steering and decent feedback made it a nice driver's car, albeit I wish it had more power (145ps 2.0 NA petrol). In comparison the Superb is a bit too wallowy for my tastes, and really betrays its size in the bends. My wife, conversely, thought the Mazda was spine-jarringly hard and the Superb is just right... Same two cars (not even just two 'of' the same car), but two very different perceptions. I want the Skoda engine in the Mazda shell with the NA throttle response. :D

I totally agree with you. My 6 was ten years old. It had a wonderful ride/handling balance and sensitive steering in exactly the way you describe. The Skoda is quiet, comfortable, well built, well finished and quite incredibly spacious but is way behind the Mazda in the driving experience. Very disappointing when considering the age gap between the cars. Nevertheless, I wanted something bigger than Mazda and this was the only car I could find at the right price that suited my needs. It is here to stay.

• Like 1

Does prove the value of getting an extended test drive.

I was lucky to have one for 3 days as I was in my company car scheme at the time and was happy enough with the ride and road noise.

Now I've got my Superb for real (bought privately as too expensive as a company car) I've done about 400 miles and it's smooth and quiet. Saying that it's our primary family car so I am driving it carefully. Can't comment on what it's like if I want to shift in it and maybe if I wanted something sportier I wouldn't have got a Superb Estate.

Can't really understand anyone selling after just 200 miles but each to their own.

I'm sure when reading various reviews for the MK3 before deciding whether to buy one that the car excelled in so many ways but if you were looking for a "drivers" car, this may not be the one for you. As a chauffeur of some thirty years having driven some very prestigious cars I find my new Estate an amazing car, given to someone else to drive they may take a different view.

Not necessarily. Our outgoing Mazda 6 (2015 model) was just right in my eyes. Firm, supportive, flexible chassis and you could really feel the road through it without it going to excess. Direct steering and decent feedback made it a nice driver's car, albeit I wish it had more power (145ps 2.0 NA petrol). In comparison the Superb is a bit too wallowy for my tastes, and really betrays its size in the bends. My wife, conversely, thought the Mazda was spine-jarringly hard and the Superb is just right... Same two cars (not even just two 'of' the same car), but two very different perceptions. I want the Skoda engine in the Mazda shell with the NA throttle response. :D

I totally agree with you. My 6 was ten years old. It had a wonderful ride/handling balance and sensitive steering in exactly the way you describe. The Skoda is quiet, comfortable, well built, well finished and quite incredibly spacious but is way behind the Mazda in the driving experience. Very disappointing when considering the age gap between the cars. Nevertheless, I wanted something bigger than Mazda and this was the only car I could find at the right price that suited my needs. It is here to stay.

Tastes, perceptions and needs - everyone is different. Some will say it's great, other's not.

My OH had a Mini Cooper Clubman once - it ran on 16 inch run flats and coupled with the Cooper suspension was a truly harsh ride. Other's reckoned it was brilliant. Go figure.

I think it's probably due to personal tastes and perceptions. On my test drive I was blown away by how quiet it was and how perfect the handling was, but as I am currently driving a berlingo multispace, it's not surprising!

I recently bought a new Superb Estate 2.0 TDi Business that's on 18" Pegasus wheels with Pirelli P7's, and compared to the Kia Ceed Estate that it replaced, it's almost silent.

About the same as a series 3 Jag. Sovereign that we had years ago. We run it in sports mode, as like the Jag., we found it a bit wallowy in normal.

So far, I'm really impressed with it. As it's the first new car I've bought in 30 years, I'm still trying to get my head around a huge estate that does 54mpg with the engine doing just 2000rpm at 80mph in sixth. Not too sure about the "flexible servicing schedule" (Q16 on the servicing ticket)............I think I'll be changing the oil/filter a bit more frequently.

What a rubbish warranty, though..................

Pyotr

Edited by Pyotr

• 2 weeks later...

I started this thread and had become so hacked off with being bounced or jolted around I was on the verge of trying to sell the car. The last throw of the dice was to take it to my local dealer for them to check whether the dealer from where I bought the car had removed the suspension blocks from the front springs as I was assured they had.

Well, indeed they had, on one wheel only! Now the car has three inches more suspension travel on the side where the offending blocks were it is utterly transformed and now I can see why people rave about the car so much. The car rides beautifully now. I think I might have a quiet word in the original dealer's ear...........

• Like 4

I started this thread and had become so hacked off with being bounced or jolted around I was on the verge of trying to sell the car. The last throw of the dice was to take it to my local dealer for them to check whether the dealer from where I bought the car had removed the suspension blocks from the front springs as I was assured they had.

Well, indeed they had, on one wheel only! Now the car has three inches more suspension travel on the side where the offending blocks were it is utterly transformed and now I can see why people rave about the car so much. The car rides beautifully now. I think I might have a quiet word in the original dealer's ear...........

OMG ! I would say the dealer needs to make good here.... Give 'em chance but if you're not satisfied get onto Skoda.... Have to say I was less than happy about my PDI.... Very, very poor.

YGBSM!! No, on second thoughts, given that I once took delivery of a new car with the brake lights stuck on and the dealer had been explicitly told that I would be driving from Glasgow to Kent the next day...

Apologies for overlapping topics, but this flags up one advantage of buying a pre reg. or ex demo car.........at least you get to test drive the actual one you're thinking about buying, and if it's used for demo's, any teething problems would hopefully manifest themselves before you part with the wedge...................and you don't have to wait for it..

Apparently the dealers have to keep a car they pre-register for three months before they sell it on, so the buyer gets the balance of the original new car warranty, in my case, 33 months.

Mine came with some extras, big wheels, full leather, met. paint. I effectively saved around £3+K and got a car with 250mls on the clock, otherwise indistinguishable from new.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the internet discount sites...............at least the main dealer is only 10mls away.

Pyotr

Edited by Pyotr

Really happy for you. It has been reported on this forum that this is an issue on the odd occasion but to have the dealer confirm these were all removed is inexcusable. I'd be asking for some goodwill for the grief they've put you through and if they don't come up with the goods a phone call to Skoda Uk is in order, (speak to Kate Laws, she's vey helpful).

Really happy for you. It has been reported on this forum that this is an issue on the odd occasion but to have the dealer confirm these were all removed is inexcusable. I'd be asking for some goodwill for the grief they've put you through and if they don't come up with the goods a phone call to Skoda Uk is in order, (speak to Kate Laws, she's vey helpful).

The service manager at the dealer is supposed to be coming back to me next week with an explanation as to how this possibly could have occurred bearing in mind the quality control checks they undertake! Should be interesting.

I am playing a waiting game at the moment to see if they offer anything. We all make mistakes in life. It is the subsequent reaction that is important. If that is negative I will speak with Kate Laws and I thank you for the contact.

It is just ridiculous how often this happens. I returned mine to the dealer complaining about the suspension, they assured me there was nothing wrong.

Taking it back a second time they found the suspension blocks.

Compensation was a free service.

@Lol6: are those transport blocks something you can see when looking under the wings of the car ? Are they visible in any way with the wheels not taken off and car jacked on elevator ?

@Lol6: are those transport blocks something you can see when looking under the wings of the car ? Are they visible in any way with the wheels not taken off and car jacked on elevator ?

No you can't see them by looking underneath. You have to jack the car up and then you can either see them or feel them. They only put them on the front suspension, not the back.

You can probably see them but can't remove them. Just turn the wheel to either side so that you can take a good hard look at the front spring/absorber assembly. Either pull up the rubber sock a bit - the block should be visible underneath, or it could be visible straight on the coil. Some reported them being black and hard to notice, though on recent builds they switched to pink, supposedly easier to spot. There were many great pictures in earlier threads.

post-148320-0-98337500-1476695144_thumb.jpeg

post-148320-0-64649300-1476695152_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a horrific 6 months driving my Superb MkIII Estate, it's a company car (2.0 Diesel CR SE) so not as easy to take back to the garage. Anyway thanks to this forum I have just found these attached to the front shocks, everyone I have spoken to or taken for a test drive just said that VAG cars have a stiff ride....

Skoda_zpsznjz7ki6.jpg

Edited by DanTheMan
  • Like 1

That's just not acceptable, they even made 'em in bright blue plastic so the dumb mechanics could see them easily!

Makes you wonder how many others out there are bouncing around in their Superbs thinking it's a bad car, not very good publicity for Skoda I think, do other manufacturers fit these blocks?

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

This is getting ridiculous!  How many people on this forum alone have had this problem, not to mention the vast majority who would never post on a forum and as Phil says above, how many are totally unaware of this??  Skoda dealers need to get their act together on this.  Aside from the poor ride quality, this is always a potential safety issue which is the biggest concern.

• Like 1

Him. Mine doesn't feel *that* soft. Should I suspect? :( I wasn't planning on a dealer visit until june

Mine feels controlled rather than "crashy", not mega soft but softer than anything with an form of sport suspension

Mine feels controlled rather than "crashy", not mega soft but softer than anything with an form of sport suspension

With the transport blocks fitted, every pothole, speed bump, manhole cover & road undulation really bangs the car so you tend to drive everywhere as slowly/carefully as possible.

It got to the point where my wife would scream if we hit a pothole, eventually she had enough and absolutely hated being a passenger (Surrey roads are in a bad state of repair).

Tried changing the tyre pressures up and down with no joy hence google search bringing me here. First proper drive today (blocks removed) and it's like a new car, quite comfy and relaxing to drive now it's got suspension. My other car is a WW2 Willy's jeep and the kids have always joked that it's a smoother ride than the Skoda !

• Like 1