Suspension Rattle / Dull Thud over uneven surfaces ?

two weeks later at annual service, dealer gave me printout(and charged for test)

where is clearly debt, shock absorbers are almost as new - with efficiency 51% 54% 71% 74%

by my feeling they are exactly same from the first day

20170628_204330_ed.thumb.png.d3f1cf54a8c11a0513fb21c008e30338.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/04/2017 at 21:51, RickTT said:

All sorted... from the tests this evening the knocking noises have now gone and the steering feels a bit more tighter.

Any chance you can outline what work was done and which parts were changed to rectify this please? Quite sure my car has the same issue. Cheers

1 hour ago, Mon55 said:

Any chance you can outline what work was done and which parts were changed to rectify this please? Quite sure my car has the same issue. Cheers

its detailed somewhere on the forum.. must be in another thread..

anyway.. the issue came back regardless.. i still need to book it in to get it sorted again.

• 3 months later...

update - issue returned around 3 months ago... in fact it never really went away..

Car is booked back into the dealers to fix... its worse than the first time.. (booked for December)

I am just going to keep booking the car in now until its sorted.

update to follow

Edited by RickTT

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine in at the dealers today to check a suspension noise which sounds a bit like a minor worn suspension part around the n/s/f, most noticeable when driving over broken road surface. They checked the bushes and mechanical parts and all seemed fine, but swapped the tyres from front to rear as the mechanic believed that a slight feathering effect on the n/s/f tyre is causing the suspension to be noisy? I'm not entirely convinced but I'll listen out for it during the next couple of days.

9 minutes ago, FloatingBrick said:

Had mine in at the dealers today to check a suspension noise which sounds a bit like a minor worn suspension part around the n/s/f, most noticeable when driving over broken road surface. They checked the bushes and mechanical parts and all seemed fine, but swapped the tyres from front to rear as the mechanic believed that a slight feathering effect on the n/s/f tyre is causing the suspension to be noisy? I'm not entirely convinced but I'll listen out for it during the next couple of days.

Sorry to say.. but thats not the reason.. i have had new tyres fitted earlier in the year and the noise was still there with the new rubber fitted..

Mine had new bushes fitted last time which fixed it for a month or 2 before the noise returned

mines booked in for next week

Edited by RickTT

2 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Sorry to say.. but thats not the reason.. i have had new tyres fitted earlier in the year and the noise was still there with the new rubber fitted..

Mine had new bushes fitted last time which fixed it for a month or 2 before the noise returned

mines booked in for next week

Thank RickTT, you're right, I'm not convinced that swapping tyres around will resolve the mechanical thudding sound. In fact it sometimes sounds like something is loose like the wheel arch lining but it's all perfectly secure. I think it'll be having a dealer revisit soon. 

Look, if the diagnostics computer says your car is fine then it must be and the noises are in your head. It may look to you as if the doors have fallen off, it's hemorrhaging oil, the tyres are all flat and it's on fire but the computer says it's all fine so it must be true. If you're still having problems bring it back (where we'll give you the same answer)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, unclerichy said:

Look, if the diagnostics computer says your car is fine then it must be and the noises are in your head. It may look to you as if the doors have fallen off, it's hemorrhaging oil, the tyres are all flat and it's on fire but the computer says it's all fine so it must be true. If you're still having problems bring it back (where we'll give you the same answer)

So very true.

Are dealers inept or just plain lazy?

I had a fault apparently on the diagnostics but dealer was not sure...needed to order some further equipment to conduct further tests. 

Car went back in for these further tests as planned and they had no idea of the fault, it was not seen on the diagnostics again. Strange as thought faults were stored.

Anyhow It was an oil valve at fault initially hopefully nothing serious!

That left me with the impression that my dealer is pretty inept as are its techs. 

Car returned to me, unfortunately i had to arrange the dealer to deliver to me. Car was in sport mode...wonder how many launch controls were performed on its way 'home'.

Worrying.

Dealers are failing to keep up with car tech thus showing their inability to resolve issues. My dealer in erdington is truly awful not just from my experience but i witnessed a 'sales executive' (a most overblown job title) who could barely perform his job when explaining the details of a Kodiaq to a potential victim. He constantly was looking at his phone. Either he had something better to do (facebook maybe) or most likely he had not done his homework on said vehicle.

If the sales team cant really be bothered it may be a contagious problem at that dealer and affect the workshop too.

Avoid them.

In Poland, Volkswagen dealers are using this lube for all over rubber parts in front suspension. 

1854055.jpg

I bought one, sprayed myself and the metallic rattles like bag of spanners - disapears.

There is nothing to loose, just try it. I will se for how long. Hope not so short.

It cost 39 PLN (c.a. 8 GBP), so why not...

8 minutes ago, Enriquez said:

In Poland, Volkswagen dealers are using this lube for all over rubber parts in front suspension. 

1854055.jpg

I bought one, sprayed myself and the metallic rattles like bag of spanners - disapears.

There is nothing to loose, just try it. I will se for how long. Hope not so short.

It cost 39 PLN (c.a. 8 GBP), so why not...

You know... You at right.. Nothing is loose, its just the asembley of all the components together making a noise... However from a design point of view this should not happen... Rubber bushes should required no lube to operate correctly.

Good option for those once the cars are not in warrenty 

Mine has developed a random rattle in rear right. 21000km, non DCC suspension (standard, style, petrol configuration).

Rubber bushes were checked yesterday and deemed ok (seems to move the same on both sides), they say it might come from a shock absorber, which they have ordered and will replace.

Supposedly had two cases like this on non DCC superbs, and that helped. Skeptical (shouldn't it rattle all the time then?) - but will see next week.

Will be covered under warranty.

Mine had front and rear wishbone bushings changed under warranty. In the front which was making more noise the bushings were cracked...on a 2 year old car :wondering:. In the rear I had knocking noise with colder temperatures. The suspension has been "silent" after that. 

Car back today...

Car has had new front brake pads... advised that it was the pad which was rattling on the front nearside.....  (so new front pads at 14k miles)

1 mile later - suspension noise is still present when going over the first speed bump... its not as loud as before but the noise is still there (just like last time) so im going to find a section of road where i can replicate it every time and then book it back in.

Edited by RickTT

On 12/8/2017 at 11:28, rytmask said:

Mine has developed a random rattle in rear right. 21000km, non DCC suspension (standard, style, petrol configuration).

Rubber bushes were checked yesterday and deemed ok (seems to move the same on both sides), they say it might come from a shock absorber, which they have ordered and will replace.

Supposedly had two cases like this on non DCC superbs, and that helped. Skeptical (shouldn't it rattle all the time then?) - but will see next week.

Will be covered under warranty.

Rear left shock absorber was changed today. No difference (as I expected).

Mine does this over even surfaces, never on rough roads.

A sound is exactly like stuck break pads releasing.

Edited by rytmask

Anyone tried these Powerflex Bushes Link to Powerflex

I fully understand about cars and warrentees and the frustration at the dealers not being able to problem solve. My car is 9 months old with c12K miles and it is just begining to have suspension noise from the front end over speed humps or when breaking down a steep hill.

I had similar issues with a Alfa 159 - it went through bushes like they were chocolate. Had the Powerflex fitted and never had to change again. The Powerflex bushes are polyurethane (I think) and are stiffer than rubber so there may be aslight trade off in ride.

I guess the question will be whether the dealer will fit a non manufactuer part - probably not ?

43 minutes ago, Smudgers said:

The Powerflex are stiffer but I did not notice a massive difference of ride quality when I had them fitted to my Alfa.

159? I fitted Powerflex bushes to my 2008 Brera to correct vague steering and it worked brilliantly. However, I bought the Superb specifically to enjoy the plush ride. I think it might be counter-productive to Powerflex a Superb? I don't want to push the car through corners, anyway! Better to buy a Giulia, I think.