EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

1 minute ago, Skoda_newby said:

So the massive lorry queues have nothing to do with extra illegal immigrant checks being performed? Nothing?

Can you do heat scanning of some sort?

18 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

So the massive lorry queues have nothing to do with extra illegal immigrant checks being performed? Nothing?

All about the French being on strike or working to rule. They have done it before and it will only get worse they are just wielding the big stick. Time to get our food imported from reliable sources on reliable shipping, that means not being in the EU.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, essexalan said:

All about the French being on strike or working to rule. They have done it before and it will only get worse they are just wielding the big stick. Time to get our food imported from reliable sources on reliable shipping, that means not being in the EU.

No, apparently we'll all starve on March 30.

And apparently we don't produce milk in the UK either. Or, if we do, the cows eat special imported pastures......  actually, no, they can't. Is it imported air they breathe? No, not that either...... Ummm, could the water they drink be special EU water? Maybe the milking machines are special EU ones and we have to pay a levy to operate them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This morning Union reps in Scotland / UK are up in arms about Fabrication work for UK Offshore Wind Turbines / Farms going to Spain, Belgium & the United Arab Emirates.

They say these are State Funded Yards.  Probably when a politician or 3 have had their State Funded Breakfast after getting out of bed in their State Funded 2nd home their will be outrage.

They want the Scottish Government to do more about this, like put more state Aid into Scottish or British yards and be involved in protectionism.

Scotland / UK has state aided yards, and transport and many other things, a point Unions seem to miss. Car Factories & State Funded / Supported Banks as well.

Never Sauce for the Goose and Sauce for the Gander with Unions. 

They say it is wrong to build green and move stuff by diesel ships to the Uk, missing the point if the steel came to the UK to then be turned into jackets etc it still comes by ship.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47476006

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-47478083

Edited by Skoffski

20 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Absolutely! 

Imagine fresh fruit and veg from just across the globe in oz.

1 minute ago, Ryeman said:

Absolutely! 

Yes, and imagine how tough it would be if the UK were to get it's Bananas from, say, Latin America??? 

Hang on, it already does.

Milk is being held to a low price and UK producers have long complained about this. Do not know if the subsidies they receive compensate for this or whether French dairy producers get higher subsidies under the CAP. I would happily pay more more for my dairy produce when and if these subsidies go.

Lot of UK sheep farmers are going to be in trouble if imports of NZ lamb start arriving tariff free. Quality UK lamb and beef doesn't appear to be available far from the areas where they are produced. Always used to bring back delicious Welsh lamb when ever I visited Wales and the beef North of the border is superb.

2 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Yes, and imagine how tough it would be if the UK were to get it's Bananas from, say, Latin America??? 

Hang on, it already does.

Green becomes yellow in time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Absolutely! 

Nope African countries already produce very good produce and trade with them should be expanded, call it regional development.

2 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Milk is being held to a low price and UK producers have long complained about this. Do not know if the subsidies they receive compensate for this or whether French dairy producers get higher subsidies under the CAP. I would happily pay more more for my dairy produce when and if these subsidies go.

Lot of UK sheep farmers are going to be in trouble if imports of NZ lamb start arriving tariff free. Quality UK lamb and beef doesn't appear to be available far from the areas where they are produced. Always used to bring back delicious Welsh lamb when ever I visited Wales and the beef North of the border is superb.

You mean, gosh, that the UK could be able to somehow sustain itself?

6 minutes ago, essexalan said:

Nope African countries already produce very good produce and trade with them should be expanded, call it regional development.

And there was me thinking that Africa was the problem.

7 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Green becomes yellow in time.

You just learned that? Your point is?

My point is that UK bananas already come from non-EU sources. Have done for a long while.

under the Everythign but Arms arrangments most of their produce is tariff free into the EU, so how would you boost the trade? And quite what has that got to do with the UK's EU membership?

1 minute ago, Skoda_newby said:

My point is that UK bananas already come from non-EU sources. Have done for a long while.

whataboutery

NOUN
mass noun British 
  • The technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.

‘all too often, well-intentioned debate descends into whataboutery’
    Also called whataboutism

No the UK can not feed itself but relies on imported food stuffs. Dairy, meat and some veg would not be a problem.

it will be if the Government's plan to slash tariffs on imports puts all the farmers out of business

2 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

It’s not fresh.

Drive-on drive-off ferries across the channel with no time consuming inspections are your fresh food lifeline I would have thought.

• Like 1

'All British Farmers' are not being put out of business or anything like that.

What tripe some write, some that know little about tripe or where it comes from...

Always use the 5th Quarter with animals. There is money in that.

Edited by Skoffski

2 minutes ago, domhnall said:

it will be if the Government's plan to slash tariffs on imports puts all the farmers out of business

As there are no tariffs on food imported from the EU how would removing any future tariffs change anything?