EU referendum/Brexit discussion - Part 2

john999boy

3 minutes ago, domhnall said:

it will be if the Government's plan to slash tariffs on imports puts all the farmers out of business

Exactly.

Someone is set to be sacrificed in the mutual benefit trade negotiations.

1 hour ago, Skoda_newby said:

22 days to go.

Oh, come on... you'll be fine. No need to watch the clock as Theresa May is master in delaying things. I've seen countless deadlines that kept the public on their toes just to read it was another hot air balloon. So hang in tight, keep paranoia to low levels, and go on with your life. Brexit is just another hurdle in dismantling the EU mob. All you have to do is to send the huge bill the UK will have to pay for Brexit to those big wigs, and oligarchs, and corrupt fat weasels that sucked a lot of doe from the national piggy bank. I really hope you will not accept to starve like obedient sheep.

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

'All British Farmers' are not being put out of business or anything like that.

What tripe some write, some that know little about tripe or where it comes from...

As long as we can still get tripe we'll be OK. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Some people have a very blinkered view.

I have found that this is the case on this topic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

The fall guy in the washup will be the farmers - and they are ******** themselves at the prospect of WTO arrangements.

They're probably sh!tting themselves because they'e being lobbied hard by the remainers/doomsayers/chicken-littles, the likes of which can be found on these pages.

Just now, Skoda_newby said:

They're probably sh!tting themselves because they'e being lobbied hard by the remainers/doomsayers/chicken-littles, the likes of which can be found on these pages.

No

Unlike the Vanity mob, farmers are grounded in reality.

4 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Oh, come on... you'll be fine. No need to watch the clock as Theresa May is master in delaying things. I've seen countless deadlines that kept the public on their toes just to read it was another hot air balloon. So hang in tight, keep paranoia to low levels, and go on with your life. Brexit is just another hurdle in dismantling the EU mob. All you have to do is to send the huge bill the UK will have to pay for Brexit to those big wigs, and oligarchs, and corrupt fat weasels that sucked a lot of doe from the national piggy bank. I really hope you will not accept to starve like obedient sheep.

Hear-hear.

Ricardo, my count-down isn't about gloom; quite the opposite.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, domhnall said:

under the Everythign but Arms arrangments most of their produce is tariff free into the EU, so how would you boost the trade? And quite what has that got to do with the UK's EU membership?

Roll Over deals have been agreed with a number of African countries what produce they ship to the EU at present I do not know. The UK would have to expand this trade, the number of countries and carry it out independently of the EU.

1 minute ago, Ryeman said:

No

Unlike the Vanity mob, farmers are grounded in reality.

They still use computers and watch TV, and get fed BBC-pro-remain bulltish like everybody else is capable of. Just at different hours to most folk. And the UK is more than capable of screwing farmers over - EU partnered or not.

5 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

Hear-hear.

Ricardo, my count-down isn't about gloom; quite the opposite.

Ah, OK then. But as I've said, when you'll hear/read the word AUSTERITY from your leaders, all you have to do is reply "FVCK Y0U! YOU PAY!" like the Greeks did. They threatened that any government that will dare to ask people to live in austerity will be brought down.

Edited by RicardoM

We import out of season non perishables and need to make sure we don’t allow the Chinese to buy up all our arable land or fresh food suppliers.  We should direct them to you international traders.

You can see on these pages that a lot of people can succumb to scare-mongering. The Global elite and their news media outlets are running hard and fast (but not full capacity yet) to push their new world order agenda. The next few days will be interesting reading.

Let the ultra-bulltish marathon begin!

3 minutes ago, RicardoM said:

Ah, OK then. But as I've said, when you'll hear/read the word AUSTERITY from your leaders, all you have to do is reply "FVCK Y0U! YOU PAY!" like the Greeks did. They threatened that any government that will dare to ask people to live in austerity will be brought down.

Hmmm

I didn’t realise the average Pom didn’t turn up to work most days.

You learn something new every day.

2 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

We import out of season non perishables and need to make sure we don’t allow the Chinese to buy up all our arable land or fresh food suppliers.  We should direct them to you international traders.

Australia sold out to China ages ago.

11 minutes ago, Skoda_newby said:

no it is very simple, they have to plan their business. Now under WTO they get hit with a 67% tariff on the meat they export. It's very simple, they know what a 68% increase in price is likely to do to the amount of meat they continue to sell. Believing harder in the qusi religious zeal of brexit and whatever unicorns you personally believe will arrive is not going to change that fact. 

• Like 2

I can buy a fat T-bone/sirloin/fillet etc any time and cheap.

Our farmers are licking the chops at the thought of cracking the once protected UK market.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gadgetman said:

Fast food companies along with supermarkets have already voiced warnings to government, given 60% of our fresh food comes from the EU. 

Most of what's in your cupboard, fridge and freezer will have come from the EU. 

Does this mean Aldi and Lidl will pull out of the UK market and head back to Europe? Simple question for anyone who actually lives in the UK. In the past 7 days have you gone to a supermarket and not been able to buy a loaf of bread? If so which chain and where so we can avoid the disappointment of going there only to find they have all sold out. TIA. Readers of the Guardian are excluded on the basis that they might be biased.:thinking:

19 minutes ago, moley said:

As there are no tariffs on food imported from the EU how would removing any future tariffs change anything? 

sigh

OK at the moment farmers can export tariff free within the single market and they have to compete within that market against EU produce which is also tariff free. 

If we move to WTO then their exports become subject to very high tariffs. So their exports are damaged. AIf at the same time as has been reported the UK government decides to scrap most tariffs on imports then produce from all over the world can flood in. Farmers say they will not be able to compete. Consumers will buy the cheaper imported stuff. So farmers will see their exports devastated and at the same time will see their home market suffer a similar fate. 

This is what the economists FOR Brexit have said too, but they say merely that "these things happen".

It's a return to the "laissez faire" economic theories which were popular in the 19th Century. 

5 minutes ago, domhnall said:

no it is very simple, they have to plan their business. Now under WTO they get hit with a 67% tariff on the meat they export. It's very simple, they know what a 68% increase in price is likely to do to the amount of meat they continue to sell. Believing harder in the qusi religious zeal of brexit and whatever unicorns you personally believe will arrive is not going to change that fact. 

Who will this hurt the most? UK, or EU?

image.png.4dc8022b684aa8570bd63cd215359e99.png

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/wto-says-its-rules-would-not-force-eu-or-uk-to-erect-hard-irish-border-1.3710136

7 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

I didn’t realise the average Pom didn’t turn up to work most days.

By POM you mean Playmate of the Month, right? B)

Just now, Skoda_newby said:

it will hurt both. It is reported it will hurt Ireland 3 times as much as the UK - this may be why we've seen 5 bombs dispatched from someone in Dublin this week. 

But in terms of the overall EU, they have a lower proportion of their trade with us than we have with them. So it is likely to hurt us more than it hurts them. 

13 hours ago, essexalan said:

I can easily do my weekly shopping and not buy a single item from the EU. Fresh meat and veg - farm shop fresher, tastes better, lasts longer and locally sourced. Fish I catch myself or buy direct and freeze. Bread, cheese and milk from the UK. The only thing I knowing buy from the EU is Lurpak butter because I prefer it and HP sauce. Beer is UK or Mexican, wine from the New World. Canned goods often have suitably vague country of origin labels on so they stay in the store. I prefer to eat seasonal veg so do not miss tasteless Spanish lettuce in the Winter or any time of the year plus I don't like EU approved modern slavery working in the Spanish poly tunnels. No I don't shop in Aldi/ Lidl so avoid a lot of EU stuff that way, used to until I found that some of their veg on sale were two days past their shelf life.  

We only buy wine that is made in Australia, California and Chile as they are good quality and decent value. Surprised no-one has mentioned all the North Koreans working for peanuts in EU sanctioned European factories sending their wages home so that the North Korean government do not execute their families (slavery/ransom).:blush