fuel consumption

richardg8jvm

I had a look on pinned topics but didn't see anything similar.

Just used my second tank of diesel now, and need to refuel again.

but before I do

Supermarket diesel vs branded diesel

mine's a 2 lt 140 bhp SE variant

on the first tank I filled with Shell, and got an average of  46mpg, but most of my driving was rural 

with very little above 60 ish

second tank was asda diesel and got  an average of 40mpg, 90% motorway use using cruise at 75 ~80 mph.

I get the impression that for everyday use it doesn't matter which, but I would have expected better on motorways.

My last car would do 45mpg at 2750 rpm , 80mph and not fussy what it was fed on, same engine size.

The gear ratio on my yeti is much higher, so about 500 rpm for the same speed, so I would expect a better mpg,

or is it that running the engine at lower revs is more reliant on the additives found in the branded fuels. ??

Also can you use the "winter tyres" settings to adjust the indicated speed so you can calibrate against GPS ??

thanks

Richard

Thise mpg figures look about right to me - very similar to mine. I think it is more to do with the brick shape of the Yeti than the fuel you put in. The higher the speed, the lower the mpg. Certainly about 60mph seems to be optimum for best motorway mpg. Above that speed it starts to drop.

• Like 1

If you haven't realised it yet, the Yeti has the aerodynamics of a brick, and most of us have found that anything over 60/65mph the consumption figures plummet rapidly. I suspect that you are comparing the figures to previously driving a saloon car? In the 5 years/110k miles I had my 140 I kept a spreadsheet of consumption and managed a figure in the upper 40's overall.

There have been numerous threads on various sections of this Forum about the differences between normal or supermarket fuels. I suggest you do a search for them, but I doubt you will get to any factual conclusion. Personally I will not use supermarket fuels, especially when the BP and Texaco almost next door are the same price or even cheaper. My father was a petroleum bulk plant manager and I know what the supermarkets do NOT add.

All the winter tyres setting in the maxidot does is to set a warning at a specific speed. It does not alter the way the speedo works or is calibrated.

Past experience as a diesel owner - 5 vehicles, since 1978. The more they work the better they are

Diesels need to be run in and also, mine didn't stabilize until 20/25000 KM,

Also my Snowman and Caravan, when Snowman was made to work with Van attached it stabilized,

now every day driving and towing stay very close.

It is often discussed and debated if Winter Formulation Diesel & Petrol is less economic, or if it is just using more lights and heating and warming up time in winter.

But worth remembering that since about 3 weeks ago Winter Diesel started being distributed in the UK.

ooop northish from mid October & further south who knows.

Insofar as using the winter tyre setting to calibrate - I suspect this may make subtle changes to the traction control so I would avoid.

Fuel,wise. A friend owns a filling station with a Gulf franchise. He is a mile up the road from a Tesco filling station. All the local taxi drivers use his filling station despite him being on average 2p per litre more expensive. They say the extra cost is more than recouped through improved consumption. Clearly anecdotal rather than scientific evidence,.

tanks for the replies

my last car was a Fiat stilo estate, lower to the ground and  better aero dynamics.

I didn't think of aerodynamic shape when I bought my yeti, just a case of what my 5 foot wife could see over the dash.

thanks for the info on the maxi dot Graham, pity it didn't do that , it would be very useful, as for fuel , I might as well pay the extra 1p/ltr

for the branded stuff.

One instrument I wish they would put on the dash is a vacuum  gauge , I had one on a old Fiat Tempra, a horizontal bar graph, extremely useful for finding the slip stream of a car in front., you could see the vac level drop as you got pulled in to the sliptream.

I guess some of the SUVs that have similar brick shapes must produce a slipstream far enough behind to be able to get in without getting too close :)

The winter tyre setting only brings a warning that a pre-set speed has been reached, it will not alter anything on the instruments.

Regarding the vacuum gauge, look at the current fuel consumption on the Maxidot to tell you exactly the same thing. You will get some surprisingly good fuel consumption when drafting large trucks.

Insofar as using the winter tyre setting to calibrate - I suspect this may make subtle changes to the traction control so I would avoid.

Fuel,wise. A friend owns a filling station with a Gulf franchise. He is a mile up the road from a Tesco filling station. All the local taxi drivers use his filling station despite him being on average 2p per litre more expensive. They say the extra cost is more than recouped through improved consumption. Clearly anecdotal rather than scientific evidence,.

As said previously, the winter tyre setting alters nothing. It is just a speed warning setting because some winter tyres have a speed limit.

Speed hurts the Yeti's fuel consumption massively due to it's frontal area and boxy shape.

Above 70mph there is 10 to 15mpg difference between our Yeti and Octavia and they have the same size engine and are running on the same platform.

Lee

• Like 1

I haven't gone into extreme testing but by monitoring the "average consumption " on the maxi dot on 100 mile plus run in each direction can't say I have noticed much difference travelling at 65 or 75