'The Grand Tour' Latest news

Lady Elanore

Well if you think about it, they were never alone either as the the camera and sound people were always with them whenever they record anything (even if the support train was still catching up with them) :D I just think they need to cut out the play acting a little and treat a bit more like grown ups. 

Well, the chuck wagon never made it to Hawes*, and we know what happened there!

* Top Gear days.

• Like 1

Apparently Top Gear Dog has died :( although she made it to 11 and was living with Richard Hammond and several other dogs, so I'd expect her to have had a happy and outdoors life :)

RIP Top Gear Dog 

Edited by Lady Elanore

• 1 month later...

So now the series has ended, what did people make of it all?

I think it looked great, had some excellent production values, photography, sound etc.

But why do they need to keep doing obviously scripted bits, like the end of the Maserati bit?

Celebrity Brain Crash is stupid and unfunny. Repeating a bad joke over and over doesn't make it better.

Ditto for The American.

It had its moments but Every episode had parts where I was bored, stopped paying attention and got the urge to play Candy Crush, or just rolled my eyes and hit the skip forward button.

6/10

Not sure I'll bother with it any more.

I turned off after episode 4/5, was just a waste of time, it was like watching old top gear all over again which IMO should have died 2/3 year ago. 

I'm looking forward to the new new topgear (?) They have the right hosts this time and should make a awesome show, hell I even thought Chris Evans series was on par with the GT.

• Like 1

It wasn't bad. But I think the main crime of both TGT and TG is a complete absence of any attempt to do anything new.

We've basically got two companies both making TG.

Celebrity brain crash was a decent joke once admitting that SIASPC was the worst bit of the old show. But it's just the same joke repeated.

The American, probably the bit of the show that was the worst. If they want an American in it just get a bloody American not a bad cartoon American. Surely there must be a retired Yank racer with some personality.

Some of the scripting was very clunky, none of them are actors clearly.

But it's a first series, I'm sure they've played it safe and maybe for a second run they'll change it. I'm a Prime customer anyway, TGT was never make or break for my patronage.

I'm actually looking forward to TG, again I'm hoping with the new line up that they might try to do their own thing a bit.

The last incarnation of TG took a good few series to find it's feet. This is like a first run yet again.

5 March for TG.

Not as good as when they did TG.

The ludicrous budget from Amazon was well and truly wasted IMHO.

Conversation Street (I'm surprised ITV don't sue TBH), Celebrity non-event, shows with hardly any cars.

A lot of localised blah-blah-blah to get the tent audience on side too.  Then James says "can we get on with it?"

All the same week after week and all hoop.

The American wasn't on the show to sell it to England (or Scotland, @Aspman) was he.

I have not seen new TG since los tres amigos left but I'll give it a whirl now and see how it, and it's American, compares.

Edited by camelspyyder

Interesting that the budget has been mentioned. As we don't actually have any 'official' costs to work from.

7/10 from me. I'd swap the American for someone else and drop the bizarre 'Celebrity' Brain Crash bit. I just didn't understand the inclusion of that, even in Episode 1!

The Telegraph said £4.5million for each of 36 GT episodes.  TG is said by UK media to cost £500,000 per episode.

Who else would you get in to pull in the American market?  

Mike Skinner is well known in the USA. A 25 year long professional racing career in the top 3 NASCAR series with 29 wins and pole position at the Daytona 500 to his name.

Most of the other guys of his calibre are still racing full time so who's available?

Edited by camelspyyder

I've watched every episode of the new series of TGT and I will admit I just don't like it as much as the old TG. It just seems forced and fake in a way the old one didn't, and some bits (celeb brain crash, convo street) are a waste of time. It feels a bit like they have loads of cash and its all a bit too easy. The new 'track' isnt as good as the old one either.

Maybe not everyones view, but I am looking forward to seeing what TG will be like without the Ginger egotist, I have a feeling it might be pretty good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wardy said:

7/10 from me. I'd swap the American for someone else and drop the bizarre 'Celebrity' Brain Crash bit. I just didn't understand the inclusion of that, even in Episode 1!

Celebrity brain crash is just a jab at the BBC as they are banned from doing interviews so its not a direct copy of the Top Gear format. And yes, I bloody hope they drop it now that they made their point as its just plain annoying.

On 20/02/2017 at 09:37, Aspman said:

The American, probably the bit of the show that was the worst. If they want an American in it just get a bloody American not a bad cartoon American. Surely there must be a retired Yank racer with some personality.

Ah, the yank.....a bit of a joke that..........The Stig says nothing, the yank doesn't shut up......it's another "we're *very obviously* not doing Top Gear stuff" thing.

4 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

On a positive note the picture quality on the car features is wicked - like going to the movies. Is it filmed in 4k?

Yes, if you've an Amazon Fire TV (not the stick) you have the option to watch TGT in 4k.

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

My Amazon stick or Kodi I forget which, says my connection is too slow for 4k :(

I don't get an alert but I'm not sure my rural connection is fast enough either. I think often the box will step down to HD and then the TV will upscale back to to 4k.

TBH I've 'only' got a 43" telly and 4k really doesn't make that big a difference on it. You need to know your watching 4k before you tell. I think the upscaling on newer tellies has gotten pretty good. But normal telly or DVDs do look a bit rubbish now, it needs HD.

On 2/21/2017 at 19:31, camelspyyder said:

The Telegraph said £4.5million for each of 36 GT episodes.  TG is said by UK media to cost £500,000 per episode.

Who else would you get in to pull in the American market?  

Mike Skinner is well known in the USA. A 25 year long professional racing career in the top 3 NASCAR series with 29 wins and pole position at the Daytona 500 to his name.

Most of the other guys of his calibre are still racing full time so who's available?

The Telegraph said it, so it must be true!

I know who Mike Skinner is, I know what he's done - that doesn't make him suitable for a TV programme. The incessant moaning didn't make for great viewing.

amazon's 100 million plus budget  for the show has been widely reported. I don't read the Torygraph either but it was the first response to a Google about the show.

I already asked this, but what American would you have on the show instead?

That would wind Clarkson up to be sure :) Another woman on the show who's faster than him - just like Vicki B-H or Sabine.

I don't think he's allowed a woman to present since he's been the star of the (new TG from 2002) show.