Instrument background lights off

Hi.  This morning when I 1st drove off I noticed that the background illumination on the instrument cluster, speedometer etc, was not on. The Maxidot display was ok. 

I stopped to do some shopping, and when I restarted an hour later all was back to normal.

What did I do ?????

Thanks KK

OK, thanks,   it was about 09:30, dull yes but hardly needing headlights. However I will keep an eye on it & see. 

Where is the sensor ?, (just for curiosity).

Thanks again

KK

On my Leon the sensor is a small 5mm circle on the rev counter between the centre of the needle and the centre point on the temperature guage.  In bright conditions you'll notice it; just like the warning lights when they're not lit up. 

I would imagine it being in a similar position on the Octavia but apologies if I'm totally wrong  :sweat:

Edited by penguin17

Dark instrument cluster = headlights required.  There is an ambient light sensor which does this to warn you of dull/dark driving conditions, which cannot be over-ridden.

I'm not doubting your voracity, but surely if the sensor exists it would be better to have it select dipped headlights than turn off the panel lights?

On my Leon the sensor is a small 5mm circle on the rev counter between the centre of the needle and the centre point on the temperature guage.  In bright conditions you'll notice it; just like the warning lights when they're not lit up. 

I would imagine it being in a similar position on the Octavia but apologies if I'm totally wrong  :sweat:

I'll try to find it and try an experiment, if I cover it the panel lights will turn off. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

On Auto the panel lights are always on.

If you have auto you can set the speed with which lights are turned on in the menu system - I've yet to hear a really good reason for not having the switch set to auto. It'll turn the lights on if it's raining or dark. What's not to like?

- Bret

• Like 1

Not just Skoda, it's the same across most VAG products - and causes the same confusion!

You can see the logic though.

"Oh, I can't see the dials. I'll turn the lights on".

Although during my frequent trips across the central belt of Scotland this still seems to bypass many.

Skoda not that clever, unless you have specified auto lights. Mine is just an SE, so not standard fitment.

Mine's and SE and has auto headlights a standard. MY2016

Or those with DRL's on in the gloom - very bright at the front but no rear lights.

Sometimes, I'll admit, this is me but at least I have rear DRL's!  :angel:

If you have a early octavia 2013/14/15 then the instrument cluster can be set to be lit all the time, and not do the annoying thing of the backlight varying in brightness - I personally don't like it.

If you have a later 15/16 model it can't be done at this time.

Googling some pics of the Octavia 3 dials, on the vRS 230 the sensor appears to be on the rev counter just to the left of the 7500 RPM mark.  On the diesel models it appears to be to the left of the 5500 RPM mark.  Looking at the position on a few cars it sit's at 4 o'clock just inside the RPM markings. 

As above, this is a so called 'safety feature'; dimming the dials apparently will remind people to switch on their headlights.  It's now on most (if not all) of the MQB VAG cars IIRC. 

Edited by penguin17

Googling some pics of the Octavia 3 dials, on the vRS 230 the sensor appears to be on the rev counter just to the left of the 7500 RPM mark.  On the diesel models it appears to be to the left of the 5500 RPM mark.  Looking at the position on a few cars it sit's at 4 o'clock just inside the RPM markings. 

As above, this is a so called 'safety feature'; dimming the dials apparently will remind people to switch on their headlights.  It's now on most (if not all) of the MQB VAG cars IIRC. 

I have looked for the sensor on the rev counter as suggested, but can't see it. Mine is the 1.4 petrol 150PS model, 8 months old. I've also tried google. Did you keep the link to the google pics you found? 

It will be dark here soon, I will try an experiment & report back. Thanks for all the input, very  interesting stuff. K

I have looked for the sensor on the rev counter as suggested, but can't see it. Mine is the 1.4 petrol 150PS model, 8 months old. I've also tried google. Did you keep the link to the google pics you found? 

It will be dark here soon, I will try an experiment & report back. Thanks for all the input, very  interesting stuff. K

Here's the vRS 230 dial.  Take a look just to the left/inside of the 7.5k RPM mark.  Small black circle. (well it's actually lighter than the dial face  :D )

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/92695/new-skoda-octavia-vrs-230-review-pictures#3

Edited by penguin17