Auto folding mirrors.......

My 230 has Auto Folding Mirrors, lock the car Mirrors fold in, unlock they fold out. So, with all this frost/ice up car and cold weather is it advisable to untick the box in the Car settings to stop them folding. Will the mirror motors be damaged if theres a heavy frost 

Might it be an idea to pull the fuse on the Xenon washers also

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

If you have the heated washers as part of the winter pack, does this also include the headlight washers, or is it purely the windscreen washers that are heated?  :think: Guessing it will only be the windscreen ones, but would be cool if it covered the headlight ones too!

Edited by ahenners

My 230 has Auto Folding Mirrors, lock the car Mirrors fold in, unlock they fold out. So, with all this frost/ice up car and cold weather is it advisable to untick the box in the Car settings to stop them folding. Will the mirror motors be damaged if theres a heavy frost 

We have that on both our cars and hasn't been a problem so far.

It's first winter for both of them so I might change my mind when it's -36° again but this -12° seems to be ok.

I usually turn it off for the winter time. Last year I forgot at first and after a car wash some water froze in the mirror over night. There was some cracking sound in the morning when opening the car but nothing broke. Worked normally after that.

We have that on both our cars and hasn't been a problem so far.

It's first winter for both of them so I might change my mind when it's -36° again but this -12° seems to be ok.

Mine worked well whole last Winter, even when left to freeze parked the whole day outside and coming back after.

One of the first things I did was turn off the auto-fold mirrors.

For me it's completely pointless. Rarely do I need to fold in mirrors on either car. Doesn't mean I don't "stroke" them regularly to ensure they're working ok. The "Use It Or Lose It" maintenance philosophy.

And I honestly don't think the mirror motors and mechanisms are not designed to last long if they fold every time you enter / exit the car.

It's a recipe for a big bill one day.

ps - where's the hidden option to emphasise text here????

One of the first things I did was turn off the auto-fold mirrors.

For me it's completely pointless. Rarely do I need to fold in mirrors on either car. Doesn't mean I don't "stroke" them regularly to ensure they're working ok. The "Use It Or Lose It" maintenance philosophy.

And I honestly don't think the mirror motors and mechanisms are not designed to last long if they fold every time you enter / exit the car.

It's a recipe for a big bill one day.

ps - where's the hidden option to emphasise text here????

Agree - i don't "need" to have the mirrors folded - most of the time it's on my drive so not necessary. It does mean i can check its locked when i look out of the window though :)

• Like 1

Agree - i don't "need" to have the mirrors folded - most of the time it's on my drive so not necessary. It does mean i can check its locked when i look out of the window though :)

I've been thinking of disabling the central locking 'plip' as the noise of the wing mirror motors is also sign enough the doors of been locked!

Anyone know of a method of folding the electric mirrors on demand? My Mkii used to fold in the mirrors when holding down the lock button of the fob.

Que??

Just turn the knob to 11 o'clock position.

I've been thinking of disabling the central locking 'plip' as the noise of the wing mirror motors is also sign enough the doors of been locked!

No "Plip" here.

A wink and a clonk from the locks does it for me

I just look out and give the fob a squeeze if I ever need to confirm Lock status. Car winks back at me.

Que??

Just turn the knob to 11 o'clock position.

Yes, that is an option, but needs the ignition to be on to work. My previous Octavia folded the mirrors if I held down the lock button for a few seconds. There is a menu option in the mark 3 to close the mirrors every time the car is locked, but seemingly not an option for mirrors to fold by using the key fob. Not a biggy, I admit...

No "Plip" here.

A wink and a clonk from the locks does it for me

I just look out and give the fob a squeeze if I ever need to confirm Lock status. Car winks back at me.

There's a menu select for an audible locking 'plip'.

• 4 years later...

My wing mirrors don’t fold or heat . And now won’t adjust . I can’t find a fuse number for them as I thought this would be best place to start . Skoda octavia estate 1.6 Diesel 2016 ? Any ideas please