Door mirrors

decuk

Because of visitors problems I no longer drive, wife does that now. The question is, can the elevtric folding mirrors be folded individualy eg just he passenger side for reversing down narrow areas.

Thanks

If it was that narrow, I wouldn't be letting my wife do the reversing but they tell me that not all women are the same.

I wouldn't know, I've never looked at another one.         Ouch!  My nose has just jabbed into my keyboard.

(cannot help feeling though, that by manually 'forcing' the electrical mechanism, you wouldn't be doing it any good)

I think you are advised NOT to manually fold them.

(too bloody cold to go out to the car!)

You should be fine to fold them manually as on non-electric versions.

All it does is compress a spring by about 2mm.

edit:

The manual disagrees, there is 'risk of damaging the electric mirror actuator': http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/418455-door-mirrors/?p=4764568

Edited by langers2k
  • Like 1

I don't know about the electric mirrors (the posh ones) but my manual mirrors fold back forwards quite happily when they get caught in the hedge when one of us bungles the reverse into our gateway off the lane (driver = :blush: passenger = :D )

From the manual.

""CAUTION
■ Never adjust retractable exterior mirrors by hand - risk of damaging the electric mirror actuator!
■ When the mirror is swung by external influences (due to impact during manoeuvring, for example), then first fold-in the mirror by turning the knob and wait for a loud clapping noise.""