Car hunting, fast car and fairly practical

I have a mate, he's not a car nut but my petrolhead-ness has rubbed off on him over our 10 year friendship. He is looking at replacing his car and I've got the job of lining up a list for us to go and look at and test drive. 

The current list of want from the car is short at the moment, but soon he'll have more of an idea of budget and details. However, all I have to go on at the moment is he wants something quick, fairly practical and if possible massage seats?! :D

We looked at a few last night, S3 seems to be the leader at the moment purely based on looks, he likes it over a Golf, A class, 2 Series, Leon etc. Anything worth me showing him over the usual? I've told him the massage seats arent likely on a smaller car, I showed him a 3 Series, S4, C class but all were deemed too big for his needs, although when we finally go shopping and he sees one he might change his mind. It's normally just him but we occasionally do our random Euro trips where 4 of us go in the car. 

I know it's a strange list of wants at the moment but still, I wanna go through as many cars as possible before we look at anything seriously. Budget at the moment is a provisional £30k (ish)

Any suggestions? I'll update as we go. 

S4, at least in that price bracket, is not that big, which for me was a "selling" point, just a compact yet big enough car and wide enough to have proper seats if that is what is needed.

S4, at least in that price bracket, is not that big, which for me was a "selling" point, just a compact yet big enough car and wide enough to have proper seats if that is what is needed.

Yeah, I'm certainly going to get him to look at that size car, he does suffer with backache sometimes so comfort it a must have. I think he thinks they're larger than they are.

As a bit of a random one, what about an SQ5!

Just had a look and there's a few within budget.

Diesel though, although there is a RSQ3 which might be worth a look, since he was eyeing up a Yeti for the ease of getting in and out and it not being too low down. 

S4 cabriolet. He doesn't sound like he needs massive practicality and they are very cool.

Worth a look, I was looking at S4s online, I'm not sure he wants a cabbie though. 

I guess second hand Macans are way too exy still.

Yeah they're a bit much still, although his budget could be revised yet.

Plenty of time, just browsing at the moment, RSQ3 needs a look at and I dunno which I'd pick, facelift S3 vs pre-facelift RS3 :D I also need to get him in a BMW even if it's just to cross them off the list. 

Of course, yeah, the sticker price is not the selling price. Not sure how much EH would be prepared to drop though.

Not much, with 12 >18 MONTHS delivery when ordered from new. However, last week on Autotrader there were 96,new,demo and private sales. So realy scarce then?

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Some pretty reason deals to be had on Golf Rs, used, demos Pre-reg, low mileage. Some reasonably spec'd cars with DSG or manual options.

Check out VW Used website on a national searched - you might just be surprised at what is on offer. £25k > £30k

Similarly checkout BMW M135i or even M140i £26K > £30K

Also Audi S3 3dr and Sportback. S1?

Edited by vrskeith

Evan Halshaw buy them cheap a punt them out in high numbers, so Ford must have punted them out cheap enough and Evan Halshaw will need to keep the money going around so while Ford might not want the Focus RS looking like used depreciation disasters Dealers might need to offer very good trade in prices or great finance deals as VW & especially Audi do.

But then cash buyers should not be worse off, and EH or AC and others can not sit for months with cars on the forecourts or compounds with ridiculous asking prices.

Hot hatch & Estate bargains are really from SEAT in the Leon Cupra's. *New Model coming, which can make them even more 'much cheapness'.

But then Jaguar are not beyond 'much cheapness' as are BMW,

2017 so near now, then shortly after 17 plates.

Ex Demonstrators still sitting with a 16 Plate is not good, even Auto Express, Autocar, What Car etc can not be 3 Monkeys to that happening, 

but watch them try.

Is the not yet available to the public to drive or buy Skoda Kodiak 'What Car' Car of the Year 2017 yet?

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Even Honda Type Rs starting to reduced as facelifted model due in 2017. If you like in your face track day cars, for the family hot hatch.

Might just see some Teslers facelift reduction soon?

Edited by vrskeith

If i can get Crowd Funding to get my No Smoking / No buying car magazine kitty up to £30,000 i am off to get a deal on a slightly used

Maserati Ghibli.

Only £29,945 more needed to get to the total.

Going very cheap soon George :http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/maserati/maserati-range-preparing-for-sports-car-hiatus/

Jag XFR 500hp for well under £30 if he'll got a bit older (2012) and 2yr warranty from Jag.

Older E63 merc might squeeze in budget too

I wouldn't buy a fast VAG since the security is still compromised as far as I'm aware. VAG would rather sue the researchers then fix the problem.

Any 6 cyl BMW would be interesting and the 330d and 335d could be in budget if he doesn't wan to buy an oil well. Tourers as well.

M240i newish would be available too, other thread has them for a shade under £30k.

No interest in the Jap cars, nor the Seat. I think he might be a little more flexible on size after saying he liked the X5 :D Shame the current M3 is a little higher than I think he's budget is. 

He's liking the A45 AMG at the moment though, along with the others. I have a feeling we'll be doing a lot of viewing cars. 

If it's not Japanese, keep a few thou in the bank for peace of mind

There will be plenty of contingency, he understands runnning a car of this nature needs to be looked after, although he doesnt want something unreliable. 

Also, I should have said at the start, he has 2 work vans so does very little miles in the 'car', mainly road trips and driving to Germany/Europe although he will use it for the odd short trip MPG isnt an issue. 

There will be plenty of contingency, he understands runnning a car of this nature needs to be looked after, although he doesnt want something unreliable. 

Also, I should have said at the start, he has 2 work vans so does very little miles in the 'car', mainly road trips and driving to Germany/Europe although he will use it for the odd short trip MPG isnt an issue.

If it's not required to be bulletproof for everyday use it's a nice indulgence then
  • Like 1